Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
csmart

2G Scam: Supreme Court Quashes 122 Licences issued in 2008

तालाब का पानी घी बन जाये और पेड़ के पते रोटी बनजाये, उसे मियां दूबों दूबों के खाए

I liked this.

Where can I find more of such quotes?

@ gurugopal

Absolutely, court are helpless and may be corrupt. But fact is they are absolutely dependant on facts presented to them, they can not make any decisions on known reality - if not presented legally to them.

I have been facing legal system since last about 3 years due to our stupid and biased laws - which are pro women but anti solutions. Hence i know this very well.

@ni0987

These are from school time stories, pata nahin Kahan milenge. :-(

Edited by kshah
  • Like 1

Ummm.. That's not what i wanted to convey... Nothing related to courts interference in policy making as such...

What i wanted to say was that when lawyers in the union cabinet who have little political base / wisdom are guiding / making policy decisions which are then automatically accepted as gospel truth by a supposedly brilliant economist prime minister who is no LEADER in any sense of the word OR is having any real authority as such and without a second thought.... That's the only end result one can expect.

We have all pygmies disguised as titans!

• Like 1

Govt. Plans To Ask All Existing Telcos To Pay Market Rate For Old 2G Spectrum Held By Them

Source

I sold a piece of land in 2010.

can I ask that buyer to pay me today's rate for that land ?

Govt. Plans To Ask All Existing Telcos To Pay Market Rate For Old 2G Spectrum Held By Them

Source

i also thought in same line.

thats reason foreign operator done enter into indian telecom sector.

they know policy change and sink them in money invested by them

:previous:

thats not the same when you sale land its permanent!but govt gives companies license i.e. permission to use spectrum for a certain period!Govt can certainly ask for higher price,Whether the price is too high is a differernt issue,but they can ask for it definitely!

True, selling personal land and sale/lease of airwaves by Govt is entirely different. The govt officials are merely trustees of the airwaves, the airwaves belong to the nation.

Mr. Rajan, Now I understood, the sentence to whom it is intended. As I am lawyer by profession, I tried to clarify your words.

Source

Absolutely your point is valid

Source

i also thought in same line.

thats reason foreign operator done enter into indian telecom sector.

they know policy change and sink them in money invested by them

Our inconsistent and uncertain environment is prohibiting FDI inflows despite of the fact that India is second most attractive hotspot for investment after china.

Indian 2G Spectrum Saga: Auction to Begin in August, Refarming on Hold & Others.

India’s telecom market is shaked heavily when the supreme court canceled 122 licences of mobile operators who bagged spectrum & license in 2008 from the-then telecom minister A. Raja. Now an auction for 2G airwave is to done as the court said. Court gave a deadline of August 31, 2012 to complete the airwave auction.

India’s upcoming 2G auction is seeing some up and downs, but it is almost sure that e-auction of spectrum on 1800MHz frequency will be started from August 6 as DoT is finalizing the auction agency.

Earlier TRAI came up with their recommendation of only 5MHz spectrum to be auctions and a base price of Rs 3,622 crore per MHz spectrum on 1800MHz in all circles. The pricing is nearly 10 times higher than the price of 2008. Operators, industry bodies as well as many firms already said that this pricing of spectrum will let the voice tariff higher by around 30paisa per minute. TRAI also proposed for spectrum refarming on 900MHz band, mostly hold by incumbent operators.

However eGoM (Empowered Group of Ministers) smoothened the deal as they said alteast 10MHz spectrum will be auctioned in 8 x 1.25 MHz format, in some circles 13.75 MHz spectrum may be on sale.

The next meet of eGoM is sheduled in June 20-22 and decision for pricing of spectrum will be taken then.

Refarming is also on hold, until Indian Army vacates around 55 MHz on 1800MHz band. The armed force will start vacating airwaves as the alternative optic fibre network gets ready.

TRAI also proposed retrospective pricing to incumbent players, i.e. Airtel who got spectrum in 1994-95 have to pay for past 18 years at the current pricing of spectrum. As The Hindu reported, Telecom minister Kapil Sibal has come up solutions to incumbent players – now operators have to pay market-defined price for spectrum and continue the services for next 20 years during their renewals.

Mr. Sibal also came up with spectrum sharing issue – operators can share spectrum with one another at no extra cost. It means 3G intra circle roaming will be legal and all operators can go 3G route via spectrum sharing.

But dual tech operators – Tata Tele and Reliance Communications are not in the mood to enjoy as with the rules they have to pay for both GSM and CDMA spectrum. Tata Tele threatens to shut down CDMA services.

via http://telecom.org.in/indian-2g-spectrum-saga-auction-august-refarming-hold/721/

RCOM moved court seeking government undertake auction after setting aside airwaves for the company

Source: Economic Times

NEW DELHI:

Reliance Communications (RCOM) has moved a Delhi court seeking that the government undertake spectrum auction only after setting aside airwaves for the company.

The

Anil Ambani promoted telco, in its petition before the telecom tribunal ( TDSAT), has said that government must award the company an additional 1.8 MHz of airwaves across the country at no additional cost before carrying out the airwaves sale.

The telco's petition may derail the Centre's attempt to complete the spectrum auction by August 31 as mandated by the Supreme Court.

The tribunal on Monday accepted RCOM's petition and has asked the telecom department to file its reply.

Last week, a panel of ministers headed by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee decided to sell up to 13.75 MHz of spectrum in the 1800 MHz band in the upcoming auctions, raising the possibility of two mobile phone companies winning back their cancelled permits.

The

Supreme Court had quashed licences of nine operators in February and directed the government to issue fresh permits through an auction process.

In 2007,

RCOM

had obtained a dual technology permit that allowed it to provide GSM-based services along with its existing CDMA offerings. The telco had paid Rs 1659 crore for its permit that was slated to come bundled with 6.2 MHz of airwaves in the 1800 MHz band, but the company was given only 4.4 MHz or units of airwaves.

"RCOM has filed petition seeking protection and enforcement of its contractual rights for allocation of the balance of the contracted Spectrum. It has sought that the telecom department (DoT) fulfill its contractual obligations by allocating / earmarking to RCOM the balance of the contracted spectrum before proceeding with the auction process. It is well known that spectrum upto 6.2 MHz was given as a startup spectrum to a number of GSM operators that too in more valuable 900 MHz as against 1800 MHz band," an executive aware of the development said.

Following the cancellation of licenecs, sector regulator

Trai had recommended that each unit of airwaves in the 1800 MHz be sold for minimum price of Rs 3,622 crore at the pan-India level, a 13-fold increase from the 2007-08 price.

The regulator had also proposed that dual technology companies such as RCOM and Tata Teleservices could be given an additional 1.8 MHz of airwaves without taking part in the auctions, provided they matched the highest bid in the sale process. At the price prescribed by Trai, RCOM will have to pay over Rs 5,000 crore for an additional 1.8 MHz of airwaves on a pan-India basis.

But, the

telecom commission (TC), the highest decision making body of the DoT, had rejected Trai's proposal and said that dual technology companies must obtain airwaves beyond 4.4 MHz through the auction route. The Pranab Mukhjerjee

headed EGoM will take a final call on this issue.

Edited by csmart

Mukesh Ambani's RIL and Sistema Shyam (MTS) is not there in 2G spectrum auction! Today (19th Oct) was the last day to submit bid papers.

Vodafone has submitted applications for 17 circles in 1800 MHz band, AirTel for around six circles, Videocon for 15 GSM and around 10 CDMA circles and Tata Teleservices for three circles where it lost its CDMA permits.

A plethora of options will open with new players like Videocon bidding in CDMA sector in coming year.

I don't know what will happen here at my place with Tata DoCoMo and Reliance yet to launch EVDO and MTS is the only option (GSM 3G options are not at all good here) :nerves:

Read today's ET article here.

• Like 1

• Telenor has decided to put in a bid under a new entity- Telewings Communications. So 'Uninor' will become a history.
  • There is a strong possibility that Mukesh Ambani's RIL builds an understanding with Venugopal Dhoot's Videocon for future telecom business.
  • The licence-scrapped companies will have to bid for minimum of four spectrum blocks at a price of Rs. 14K crore for 1800MHz.
  • Tata will be bidding for only three circles where it lost its CDMA permits.
  • There will be no auction for 800MHz spectrum in Rajasthan where the best network of MTS is present along with Rev B data.
  • No new foreign operator is bidding although the government made special provisions earlier this month, permitting foreign entities to participate in the 2G auctions without an Indian partner ( However, to start operations in India, such players were required to form a joint venture with an Indian partner later).

MTS confident of getting licences restored by supreme court. MTS will not leave India.

source:- official twitter handle and facebook page of MTS india.

• Telenor has decided to put in a bid under a new entity- Telewings Communications. So 'Uninor' will become a history.

As per News M&M is entering into telecom together with Telenor

Really, source please.

Please excuse typos and brevity, sent while mobile.

And their brand name will be Telelink

Now Videocon has withdrawn from the fray of CDMA bidders before the 5th November deadline of withdrawal.

Tata will get their three quashed licences back just at the base price.

With no other CDMA bidders in the field, it is to be seen what happens to MTS now.

Edited by sougatadc

Now Videocon has withdrawn from the fray of CDMA bidders before the 5th November deadline of withdrawal.

Tata will get their three quashed licences back just at the base price.

With no other CDMA bidders in the field, it is to be seen what happens to MTS now.

I guess there is a rule that there has to be minimum two bidders otherwise auctions will not be conducted.

^

That rule (GFR or General Financial Rules, 2005) fixes minimum number of bidders to 3 for an auction to be treated as a valid one. But here Videocon being lone bidder in the fray, the auction would have nullified them as a bidder, where is the need of withdrawing? I think that clause of minimum number of bidders was not binding here. Some other reason might be there.

And Tata stays there as the lone bidder for their three quashed licenses which they will get without competition at the minimum base quotation price. Tata wasn't forced to withdraw (being the lone bidder). This points out once again that Videocon's withdrawal has different reason.