Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
coolminilife

Please Suggest for Best GPS Mobile for old Parents

hi guys,

pls advice me some good mobiles for my old parents so that they can see each-others movements/whereabouts,(i will train them how to use it).

Oky now the idea is..

my government servant (now retired father); does have a particular habit of not picking up phone :), and my mom get too worried about his whereabouts as he have lots of time(after his retirement) and just rome-around a lot. so this is to keep a check on his movements and whereabouts.:)

action plan:

A)i will buy two handsets, download and install Google maps on both handsets, create gmail ids for both parents and add them to each other and keep the data on always.

B)will buy two docomo prepaid sims get them topped for rs. 95/6gb data on each handset will keep always data on mode. so that live update happen always, i think 6 GB of data should be sufficient for 30 days 24/7, for on mobile gps.

C)Seeking advice on:

1.Will my above plan work/solve the purpose.

2.I am seeking advice on how accurate gps/location show-up will be

3.handset suggestion pls.

4.do anyone have/think of anything better plan for this.

5.i know A-GPS will use data, but if i go for TRUE-GPS mobile like NOKIA 5230 will it have any advantage on my purpose.

anyways my both parents love this idea.

i have planned to buy two NOKIA 5233 from ebay that will cost me around 11k+ free 250 GB hard disk = 11k-2k= effectively a 9k deal.

which looks perfect at this moment (though i was looking for some android mobiles , but cant find at this price/value point.)

thanks for reading my family saga :).

and thanks a lot to all rimwebains for their contribution and support.

Edited by coolminilife
  • Like 2

Nokia 5233? That has only A-GPS. I believe GPS will be lot more desirable for your purpose, so go for Nokia 5230. This phone is supposed to be one of the best for GPS, in its price range. It comes with Ovi maps free (no data required) for life but I'm not sure there is any app. like Latittude which you can use with it (hopefully, others here may be able to give you more specific info). So you may have to use Google maps, and for that you need data connection. Even if there is an app. like Latittude for Ovi, you will require data connection to at least transfer location co-ordinates.

If you want to go for 5233, I have seen accuracy of typically upto 700 - 800 m radius. IMO thats not accurate enough for your purpose. Though I'm guessing, in Bombay, the accuracy is likely to be better (denser population).

As for Docomo, though the data plan is probably the cheapest, I have heard from friends that Docomo network is not at all good in Bombay. So please check (specifically for data) that 1st before you get Docomo.

• Like 1

1. I think it should

2. Location should normally be accurate to few meters if full gps is activated, though gps might switch over to agps if he goes inside some building or mall and then accuracy may be few 100 meters

3. For you I would suggest - LG Optimus One (11k), Samsung Galaxy 3 (11.5k), Samsung Galaxy 5 (8.5k); I will not suggest Nokia....

4. -

5. True GPS will not work inside buildings and malls and Google Maps also requires data for all time refreshing

• Like 1

Gurus will give their guidance, inputs but my +1 to coolminilife for thinking about parents with some passion and investing time, money & efforts...I like it...

• Like 1

Friend, I dont think it is possible to keep the Tata Docomo's (or any other in this regard) gprs data active 24x7 for 30 days.

It will eventually time out and the data connection will snap. Else one need to keep it frequently refreshed, which can be cumbersome.

:)

Btw in case more data is consumed, they offer 8Gb pack for Rs.149.

• Like 1

thank you gurus and seniors for advice,

rajan sir thanks for your +1, they(my parents) have taken care of me all my life (still caring..), just trying to make it easy for them.

@raccoon > i have used DOCOMO in mumbai and its comparatively good(value for money),

A_GPS or GPS , not sure which one is better in my case, or will behave same as the accounts will talk to each other for coordinates.

@Dhiraj Bhai > without android 2.2 its not value for money (that's what i feel) , with LG optimus and like i will go out of budget.

@Karthik > " Friend, I dont think it is possible to keep the Tata Docomo's (or any other in this regard) gprs data active 24x7 for 30 days.

It will eventually time out and the data connection will snap. Else one need to keep it frequently refreshed, which can be cumbersome. "

.. i think its a valid point > any probable solution for this..

rajan sir thanks for your +1, they(my parents) have taken care of me all my life (still caring..), just trying to make it easy for them.

@raccoon > i have used DOCOMO in mumbai and its comparatively good(value for money),

A_GPS or GPS , not sure which one is better in my case, or will behave same as the accounts will talk to each other for coordinates.

@Dhiraj Bhai > without android 2.2 its not value for money (that's what i feel) , with LG optimus and like i will go out of budget.

@Karthik > " Friend, I dont think it is possible to keep the Tata Docomo's (or any other in this regard) gprs data active 24x7 for 30 days.

It will eventually time out and the data connection will snap. Else one need to keep it frequently refreshed, which can be cumbersome. "

Samsung Galaxy Pop for 8999/- pre-order on flipkart. It has Froyo. Google it for more info

@coolminilife

+1 to you buddy....for thinking about parents. Your post will definetely encourage other members too, to do something for their parents. :)

Keep it up buddy.

Badey - Buzurgon ka Aashirwaad sadaa saath hona chahiye. :)

Dude, does the version of Android or for that matter Android itself matter matter so much for your parents? Unless they can appreciate the things Andy can do, it will be a waste for them. Also all the other phones suggested are significantly more expensive. GS5 in fact has a smaller screen. Both the Nokias have 3.2" screen with the best resolution (nHD) by far, in its class. Whats more, Android phones are generally known to have poorer battery life. Also, some Samsung phones have been known to have issues with GPS. Don't know to what extent this is an issue with the GS 5/3 though. IMHO, for the intended purpose 5230 is best suited... or if you are ok with less accurate co-ordinates, then of course you can save another 1k or so with 5233.

Edited by raccoon

please chk for huawei ideos available with aircel stores for 8.5K

it has 2.8 inches capacitive touch screen with froyo(2.2) no multi touch. gingerbread(2.3 )update available(need to Google it)

hope this can work out.

Why make this so complex by considering..

Which handset to buy..Whether Android or Other...Which Version of Android...GPS or aGPS...Data Plan..Docomo..Nokia..So many things.. Which are actually not needed

Instead why not think of a True Dedicated GPS Tracking Device...

Endless type of models available in US from fitted into a Wrist Watch to USB Pen Drive Size Clip to Wearable on Jackets..

This devices are more accurate, locks on to more satellites and dedicated for this single purpose...and the overall total cost may turn out to be lower..

Search Google with "Personal GPS Tracking Devices", "Child Tracking Devices", get a few ideas and expand the research from thereon...