Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rahiljnmc

Samsung Galaxy SL i9003

Hello

I purchased Samsung Galaxy SL I9003 brand new from Ebay for 19190/- with one year India Warranty.

The phone is a stripped down version of Samsung Galaxy S I9000, Major difference being S-LCD on I9003 instead of brilliant S-AMOLED on I9000.

The new one comes with 1650mAmp battery, 4GB internal memory (I9000 came with 8/16 GB Internal Storage), and a slot for MicroSD card (Card is not provided with the box)

Though I new everything before going ahead with the purchase, as i thought it as a good value for money, once I started using it i am not completely satisfied.

Samsung has divided the internal memory into two parts, 2Gb for Internal Phone storage and the other 2Gb as Internal SD card. I have 8Gb external SD card as well installed on the device

The internal SD card directory is mnt/sdcard, The External SD card directory is mnt/sdcard/external_sd

Now when I download and application and decide it to move to SD card, it by default moves to mnt/sdcard (which is timid 2gb internal SD), leaving my external SD useless. Though i can select External SD as default storage for Image and videos taken by the camera. But most applications and there files are always on Internal SD.

Apart from that, even though the battery is 1650 mAmp, it drains out pretty fast on moderate use. Since my DROID X gives me almost 24 hours of battery life with wifi continuously on, samsung i9003 managed to last only for 12-13 hours. Though I am getting much better battery life after doing a factory reset and charging the device to full once.

But having said all that, i think its very good value for money. In just 19000/- bucks its a top end smart phone and pretty fast as well. About Touchwiz UI 3.0, I absolutely HATE IT! I am on launcher pro, and i am loving it. Though the phone has not been rooted yet, i was wondering if the same file would work as in samsung galaxy S I9000, but I am not willing to be the first one to try out.

Camera is good, 720 p recording is great as well. But I cant stop comparing it with my Droid X. Samsung is way far behind in matching the image quality and videos/audio quality of droid X in HD video recording. Droid X is a workhorse, its like Yamaha and I9003 is like Splendor (no offence)

Wait for couple of months and hopefully the price will drop to 17-18 k!! lol

All in all! Nothing could beat this phone at this price tag!!

Company Link

http://in.samsungmobile.com/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s-lcd-4gb

• Like 5

Good First Hand Review Rahil +1 :)

Good review, about the data2ext you can try posting the query in XDA to the dev of a2sd might be he can guide.

Finally managed to root Galaxy S I9003 :Sorprendido:

1- Make sure Drivers are Installed for I9003 (Download and install latest Samsung Kies from samsung website)

2-In Settings--Wireless & Networks--USB setting--select Ask On Connection

3-CHECK USB debugging mode in settings---applications--Development

Go To http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682 and download and install SuperOneclick on ur computer

Just plug in the device with your computer, launch Superoneclick, Click "root" tab and Its Done!!

I tried using z4root but it does not work for Samsung Galaxy SL GT I9003

SuperOneClick does work!!

Cant do anything as we still dont have recovery for this device, just removed bloatwares and enjoying stock built.

Galaxy S9003I have

PowerVR SGX530 GPU

TI OMAP 3630 Processor

Instead of old Galaxy 9000I had

PowerVR SGX540 GPU

Humming bird Processor

old 540 is 2.5 time faster then 530

Enjoying Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc Launcher On Samsung Galaxy I9003

snap20110311_122813.png

snap20110311_122830.png

snap20110311_122846.png

Absolutely Love It :Sorprendido:

Am on LauncherPro plus bro. How do you install applications to external partition with stock ROM of I9003?

Hi, I have purchased Samsung I9003 just 2 days back. Still truing it our. I have rooted it today. I have some questions ;

1) What is the advantage of rooting?

2) Is LagFix really required? I did not find the phone to be slow.

3) Due to root, I could use Titanium Pro and backup all apps. Is there any other good free backup software?

4) Which default apps can / should I remove? How?

5) How to install non--market apps? From where to get these?

6) I want to keep regularly used apps on the home screen but then the icons are on the wallpaper, any way of hiding the icons?

7) Any way to fit complete picture on a single homescreen?

Thanks

1) What is the advantage of rooting?

You have access to system files. You can run applications which requires system file access and you can set read write permission for system partition. Delete or add system files.

2) Is LagFix really required? I did not find the phone to be slow.

No.. For Galaxy S LCD there is no lagifx released. Its for Galaxy S and if you flash it your phone may become unusable.

3) Due to root, I could use Titanium Pro and backup all apps. Is there any other good free backup software?

To best of my knowledge Titaniumpro is the best. For backup ypu can also use ADB of AndroidSDK on PC.

4) Which default apps can / should I remove? How?

Dont try this yet. We do not have any DD series (Indian version) firmware yet. So IF you encounter problem you may void your warranty without original FW version.

5) How to install non--market apps? From where to get these?

Very easy. Use any of the application mangaer. You may use samsungs MyFiles application itself. Download the apk file on to SD card.first. Then using MyFiles brows to the file and select the file, you will see promt for install, follow the instructions and complete the task.

You can find application at RimWeb or mobilism.org

6) I want to keep regularly used apps on the home screen but then the icons are on the wallpaper, any way of hiding the icons?

There can be as many as 7 screens So Dont keep any widgets on Main screen Use remaining 6 screens for this.

7) Any way to fit complete picture on a single homescreen?

No, I dont think this is Possible, or may be I am not awARE.

@trip007in thank for the reply. Especially thanks for letting me know that I should not delete any default apps. I also could not find the DD firmware anywhere. Will it be available soon? Will this phone be upgraded to Gingerbread?

I have some more questions :

1) After a week of customization, I found that the phone is linked to my google account which I had entered initially. I don't really like this. Can I make a new dummy account and change to it without "hard reset"?

2) If I do hard reset, what do I actually lose?

3) I have rooted the phone and can take backup with TitaniumBackup. Can I copy this folder to PC, do hard reset, setup with the new dummy google account, copy folder back to to the internal SD card, use Titanium backup to restore apps+data. Will I get back all my customizations like home screen and simi folders?

5) Or should I copy the full Internal SD card contents to PC and paste them back after reset?

6) Is it possible to setup a dummy google account and then change it's password so that the phone does not have access to this account. Then if I setup my main google account as the second account, can I access the market?

7) It is better to install all apps through apks so that they are not linked to my account?

8) Is there any way to image the "internal" memory like we do on a laptop?

9) In case something goes wrong, can I get stock firmware (India) for my phone. My phone details are as under :

Samsung Galaxy GT-I9003 (SLCD)

Firmware 2.2.1

Baseband version I9003DDKA5

Kernel version 2.6.32.9 root@SE-S605 #1

Build number FROYO.DDKB2

1) After a week of customization, I found that the phone is linked to my google account which I had entered initially. I don't really like this. Can I make a new dummy account and change to it without "hard reset"?

I have tried another a/c setup earlier on Galaxy Spica, it will sync but did not allow me to delete main A/C with Galaxy Spica, Not sure about I9003. But factory reset should delete the data and the Google A/C settings, may be you can then try another google A/C, but not dummy A/C.

2) If I do hard reset, what do I actually lose?

You will lose only data partition, your settings will be restored to Factory settings and any user applications that you would have installed from Market.

3) I have rooted the phone and can take backup with TitaniumBackup. Can I copy this folder to PC, do hard reset, setup with the new dummy google account, copy folder back to to the internal SD card, use Titanium backup to restore apps+data. Will I get back all my customizations like home screen and simi folders?

Just back up applications with titanium backup, for restoring them later. But you will have to install Titanium backup again, should not be a problem. You can also copy the SD card contents and restore later. OR Use ADB and back up the installed APKs. Nothing will be earsed from external SD so put back up on external SD or PC. Yes if you restore apps+data, you will get back app settings. Not the desktop settings and the Widgets. If you have LauncherProplus, You can backup the desktop shortcuts and customizations also to restore later.

5) Or should I copy the full Internal SD card contents to PC and paste them back after reset?

No harm in it, to be on safer side, It is recommended that you back up internal SD.

6) Is it possible to setup a dummy google account and then change it's password so that the phone does not have access to this account. Then if I setup my main google account as the second account, can I access the market?

No you cant use dummy A/C, You need genuine one. May be create a new one, dont use it for communication with the friends and family. As I see you have problem with the Gmail.apk. If you dont want this, what you can do is rename the extension of this apk as Gmail.apk.bak in system/app folder and the Gmail application will not be seen. I think your problem will be solved. The market will work without any problem. Alternatively, you can also back up the application and delete it from the System/app folder, which ever method you feel is easy and safe use that. Use rootexplorer for renaming the apk with Write permissions on system partition.

7) It is better to install all apps through apks so that they are not linked to my account?

Dint get your question. you can restore app using Titanium backup.

8) Is there any way to image the "internal" memory like we do on a laptop?

No, I donot know any method as of now without having custom recovery for I9003.

9) In case something goes wrong, can I get stock firmware (India) for my phone. My phone details are as under :

Samsung Galaxy GT-I9003 (SLCD)

Firmware 2.2.1

Baseband version I9003DDKA5

Kernel version 2.6.32.9 root@SE-S605 #1

Build number FROYO.DDKB2

I too have the same FW. But it is not available for download yet on any of the Websites. So you can only gete it done at Samsung service centre. So better be careful.

Any other query you can also search in XDA and Discuss. Google is your way.