Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
sgiitk

Common Charger Goes For A Toss

Some time ago all vendors agreed to have a common power connector / charger. This was agreed to be mini-USB. What has happened is that the mini-connector is again proprietary. Blackberry uses the same as is used in Garmin-GPS so may be standard. This is trapezoidal. Now htc has its own which is rectangular with the corner cut off. However, the standard mini_USB connector works. I find the Samsung Epic 4G has a far slimmer connector and the other(s) will definitely not fit in, and vice versa.

So we are back to brand and model specific connectors, making the whole exercise redundant.

Edited by sgiitk

I find the Samsung Epic 4G has a far slimmer connector and the other(s) will definitely not fit in, and vice versa.

This is micro usb connector.

The micro USB specification is now scheduled to replace mini USB connectors in many different types of portable devices, including cell phones and PDA's. The micro USB technology was developed by the USB Implementers Forum, Inc. (USB-IF), an independent non-profit group that works to advance USB technology. When compared to the mini USB, the micro USB offers many advantages. The most obvious benefit to this new technology is its smaller size. As cell phones and PDAs become thinner and lighter, consumers are frequently finding the mini USB connector is simply too large for practical use. The micro USB will allow manufacturers to push the limits of this trend towards sleeker design. In addition to its smaller size, the micro USB is more durable than the mini USB connector. A micro USB features a stainless-steel shell to allow for over 10,000 insertion cycles, as well as a latching mechanism that provides higher extraction forces without sacrificing the USB’s ease-of-use for synching and charging your portable devices.

The Open Mobile Terminal Platform (OMTP) group has decided to standardize on micro-USB as the charging interface for mobile phones. The OMTP includes Samsung, Motorola, Sony Ericsson, LG, and Nokia.

So let's hope all the manufacturers switch over to micro usb connector without further delay.

Now seen one which works

Just got my incredible 2 from hetal. Shares data and power connector with Samsung family - Epic 4G, 551. So some sense at last.

Yeah, sougatadc is correct. The manufactureres have indeed adopted the micro usb as the common standard.

The usb/charger port of my HTC Incredible (droid) shares the same usb cable/charger with Palm Pixi as well as LG 6120. I have even used a Nokia & a Samsung (Epic) data cable for charging purpose for my handsets (although the Samsung Epic data cable did not work for data transfer in case of Incredible).

And the convenience is just awesome. Carry just one cable (no need even for a charger) and charge your handsets from any usb port like laptop, dvd player, subwoofer, audio system, car charger etc.

^^^

Yes, this being almost a standard now for data/charging, the batteries need to be standard also.

Just like 4.5-Volt, D, C, AA, AAA, AAAA, A23, 9-Volt, CR2032 and LR44 batteries mobile batteries should also be of standard shape and size, with same connector specification and location. The capacity may vary with brand/quality.

This will immensely help mobile phone users.