Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
deepakdhingra

BlackBerry 9650 BIS Issue

Hi all,

I have recently ( about a week ago) bought a BB 9650 CDMA/GSM device from ConnectIndia/Vritti in Noida. The experience of buying it through them was itself a nightmare. Basically, they are resellers for Reliance CDMA/GSM and this phone has been bought by Reliance and Tata Indicom and locked onto their network. When I boot up the phone it shows the Reliance Logo and within the menu there is access to Reliance World. The Connectindia people ( a guy called Gaurav) had promised an unlocked version but couldn't unlock the phone. Finally, after 4 days of going back and forth with them (to no avail) I went to a BB dealer in Mumbai and got the phone unlocked for it to work on GSM. My carrier is Vodafone. The phone is working properly on voice.

But I had to go through another nightmare when I activated BIS through Vodafone Mumbai. The device doesn't register on the network and after 3 days of trying, the Vodafone guys said that the phone is locked to the original carrier i.e. Reliance.

Can anyone help me here on this? Is there any way to unlock the BIS or data settings on this BB 9650?

In appreciation.

Deepak

RGSM may work but I need to use my Vodafone Number with this handset. Can't BIS through Vodafone work on this?

Deepak

If GSM is unlocked any provider BIS should work

Thank you both for your prompt replies, Hetal and Arun. But the phone is not being registered on the Blackberry network. I really do not know what to do.

Deepak

Is there something else that needs to be done on the phone? Which the Vodafone guys don't know about? The EDGE sign on the screen shows "edge" in small letters. There are no entries in the Host Routing Table.

When I run a diagnostic test in the mobile network in Optiosn, the screen shows that Radio Data is Active, Radio Access as EDGE (In Caps), network as Vodafone IN, Blackberry Registration - No, Connected to Blackberry : Abort, Blackberry Pin-Pin:Abort, and MSISDN: Unknown Number

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Deepak

i too had faced the same issue. The solution is that if u activate BIS plan on your number then after activation it gets registered automatically.

If this does not work then check your mep2

When I type in MEPD in Options>Advanced Options>Sim Card the screen says:

ID: (A lot of Numbers here)

Personalization:

SIM-----------------DISABLED

NETWORK-----------Inactive

NETWORK SUBSET---DISABLED

SERVICE PROVIDER--DISABLED

CORPORATE---------DISABLED

These settings are ok. if u see "edge" in small then try to activate BIS.

I had a prepaid vodafone number, so activated 3 days BIS pack ,it took about 4 hours to get activated but after 4 hour got BIS with "EDGE" in CAPS.

@Rahul,

I have the Vodafone BIS plan activated. But the phone is not being registered on the network.

Then i think u should call CC and ask them to register your device.

Just for info purpose which os version do you have loaded.

@Rahul,

CC keeps telling me that since the phone has been bought from a website that has sold me a locked device I should get in touch with them. I dont know what to tell them.

Do you have the same 9650 bought from Reliance? Did you unlock the phone to work on GSM or Did you have to anything special?

I also noticed one more thing. Above the version it shows SmartPhone (3G, CDMA, Wi-Fi).

Does that mean it wont support EDGE?

Sorry I forgot to post my OS version ---Its 5.0.0.810

Deepak

It was locked when you purchased it but you have got it unlocked for GSM by someone, right? BIS should work fine if it was unlocked. Have you checked by inserting the SIM in another BlackBerry device to verify if BIS is working? The Vodafone store should help you out to check that.

@Arun,

Foolish of me to not have checked that. Will do it tom.

And if it works in someone else's phone then its obviously a problem with my phone, right?

Deepak

Sorry to be barging into your topic but I'm confused how come you've gotten an official BB 9650 from reliance? Every month since last 6 months i've been asking reliance whether they've launched this phone and all the time they said it hasn't been launched !!!! After reading your post I called up BB CC and they confirmed that the phone's been launched but they were clueless about the price !!!! On checking the website there isn't a single mention of the phone even in the BB section of www.rcom.co.in. Plus there isn't a special BB9650 thread on this forum as well !!!

Can someone pls confirm at approx what price will I be able to get it here in Vadodara Guj?

Thanks in advance and again apologies to the original poster to have gone off topic !!!!!!

@retro182,

The phone is available at connectindia.in. If you view this page - http://www.rcom.co.in/rcom/blackberry/BlackB_detail.jsp - you will see BB Tour 9630. The 9650 is more or less the same as the 9630 except that the 9650 has the track pad while the 9630 has the trackball.

If you click on the Buy Now you will be taken to Connectindia's page where you can send in a form stating your interest. When they (most probably a guy named Gaurav) call you ash them to give you a 9650. The price is the same.

Deepak

Update -

I tried what Arun suggested and the SIM card works properly on another Blackberry. But my friends BIS (by using her SIM card in my phone) doesnt work on my Blackberry.

So, obviously it is an issue with my phone.

Now what should I do?

Deepak

Ur firewall is enabled... BS IT Policy issue..

Thanks for replying, Saddikbhai. But Firewall is disbaled.

May I come and show the phone to you? I hear you are in Mahim

Deepak

Anyone knows how to enter proxy settings for Reliance GSM use ?

I can see the APN settings but can't find any place to enter proxy settings. Am on OS 6 (443)

Internet doesn't work on entering the APN settings for wap/mms/rconnect etc.

I am on BES on RCDMA so i haven't subsribed to any BES/BIS plans on the RGSM prepaid SIM that i bought for trying out 3G.

Edited by ami1

Looks like the BB 9650 is not a very popular phone. Anyways, I have sent mine back to the dealer (ConnectIndia) and hopefully they will sort it out.

Will update the thread as and when.

Deepak

^ But, I actually love it. Had been waiting for its launch for quite some time. Its the only BB with a good GPS and browser (if you are on OS 6). Offcourse, i am on R CDMA.

Sorry for the late reply. This is a amazing situation. Listen vey carefully.

Situation: your vodafon bb service is active on your number. It works on other phone, is it gsm only or cdma + gsm? Now put a vodafone sim in the troublesome 9650. Is the sim not working a ported number? Once put the other active sim and chck if you get EDGE. If yes use that sim for 2/3 days. Now do phone transfer for the temparary number. Insert the troublesome sim in the phone and you should get EDGE. DO NOT WIPE YOUR HANDSET AS YET. Once clear you're getting EDGE, now do a wipe from handset for email/contacts. I also suggest you upgrade to os6 for your 9650, it's good. I've done the same trial and as of now it has worked for me. All the best.

Looks like the BB 9650 is not a very popular phone. Anyways, I have sent mine back to the dealer (ConnectIndia) and hopefully they will sort it out.

Deepak

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Deepak

I doubt if the dealer can solve this issue. This is very funny issue. This is not reliance ready phone, right? I have sprint 9650. I aso got this solution as I had 2 9650s and both on vodafone. This was just a try to see if I get the solution. It did work for me. I also found this solution funny. Sadikbhai would also find no logic in this. If you check on your phone you'll not see Host routing Table, it would be empty. This is because the sim is not getting detected for bb service by that phone.

Do try and let me know as lot of efforts and days of communication with Vodafone has been spent on this issue.