Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
FEVIN-RAJ

Samsung Galaxy POP CDMA

Indian CDMA users will soon have another Android phone to drool over. Samsung is planning to release CDMA version of Samsung Galaxy Pop next week. Company confirmed the same via a reply on Twitter today.

The internals are expected to be same as the GSM version, which features Android 2.2, 3.14-inch QVGA TFT display, 600MHz processor, 3-megapixel fixed-focus camera, Social Hub, TouchWiz interface, Swype and document viewer. While we are expecting the price to remain same, it would be interesting see a deal coming from one of the two major CDMA carriers Tata Indicom and RCOM.

Galaxy Pop will be the third CDMA Android smartphone to reach India, Galaxy I899 to be the first and MTS Pulse second. There was talk of Galaxy S CDMA release on RCOM, but we never got a confirmation, may be Samsung will announce it with Galaxy Pop next week.

Source

post-8893-0-63682800-1300337463_thumb.jp

post-8893-0-75652800-1300337520_thumb.jp

Edited by FEVIN-RAJ

Galaxy Pop will be the third CDMA Android smartphone to reach India, Galaxy I899 to be the first and MTS Pulse second.

This would be FOURTH. Third is Samsung Atlas i500.

Launched !!! :clap::clap::clap:

Samsung Galaxy Pop Key Features:

•Android 2.2 Operating System

•800 MHz processor

•Pre-Installed Gmail, Gtalk, Youtube, Google Maps, Orkut, Quick Office and Android Market

•FM Radio with unlimited channels to store

•Upto 3.1 Mbps of Download Speed using HSD Network

•Freedom to choose your CDMA Operator – OMH

•3.15MP camera

•SD card support up to 32 GB

•Connectivity: Wi-Fi, HSD, USB, Bluetooth 3.0, Auto sync

•USB/WiFi Tethering

• Like 1

Best part is Samsung has launched it as an OMH Handset... So you can choose the operator of your choice. Brilliant...

Price at Rs 9,750 and will be available from 25th March Countrywide...

Good Info Fevin bhai... +1 to you...

Last year I gifted SamsungCorby for my wife for her birthday... Am planning to give GalaxyPOP_CDMA for her this year B'Day... By that way, my EPIC will stay with me all time, while in Sivakasi... ;)

But compare to GSM GPRS dataplans, CDMA data plans are quite expensive, and without Internet Android phone is waste.

Also screen resolution is not upto the level.

Looks like a killer for the non power users. Let us wait and see. Will the CDMA version support EVDO?

Will the CDMA version support EVDO?

Yes. It is an EVDO Rev. A, phone which supports up to 3.1 Mbps downlink.

Request to mods

Pls change/Update the Topic as the Handset officially launched

Good news, friends don't leave CDMA by MNP. I think Apple iphone CDMA will come in OMH.

1st make sure CDMA players bring OMH RUIM, cost effective data plans (on mobile/modem) like GSM players....

.....I think Apple iphone CDMA will come in OMH.

If iPhone comes with OMH this will be a game changer. CDMA market is US dominated and so far no OMH there. Once Apple gives OMH then others will also face the pressure.

My only point is that in the US (as well as Europe, but that is GSM) most phones are bought as part of a package where you are locked to the provider for two or three years. Here no SIM/RIUM is a boon the the provider. So how will the OMH approach work out there? Of course the OMH only provides the info which is not coded into the phone, i.e. the phone only picks up what it does not find within itself from the UMH-RUIM. so they may still code in some masala!

Good news, friends don't leave CDMA by MNP. I think Apple iphone CDMA will come in OMH.

The chances for iPhone coming with OMH RUIM is very low (and that too in India), imho...

anyone seen the phone....official specs....i tried find in delhi-ncr but no luck...

.....I think Apple iphone CDMA will come in OMH.

If iPhone comes with OMH this will be a game changer. CDMA market is US dominated and so far no OMH there. Once Apple gives OMH then others will also face the pressure.

My only point is that in the US (as well as Europe, but that is GSM) most phones are bought as part of a package where you are locked to the provider for two or three years. Here no SIM/RIUM is a boon the the provider. So how will the OMH approach work out there? Of course the OMH only provides the info which is not coded into the phone, i.e. the phone only picks up what it does not find within itself from the UMH-RUIM. so they may still code in some masala!

It will not work there, because the networks provide phone with contract. In these markets usually the user gets the phone free and the network recovers the cost through rental over contract duration, this suits both the user and the network - the user gets free phone, plus usually gets upgraded to an advanced phone before the contract ends, and the network gets assured revenue over defined term. This works because the market has a proper way of verifying credit worthyness of user - this is vital otherwise users would just take a contract and not pay their bills as had happened to RIM.

OMH will only be relevant for emerging markets like China and India where the market is not matured enough to provide such contract locked phones. In India the majority of the market is prepaid and with low cost handsets. If and when the market matures and a concept like social security number comes in these markets which can track credit records of customers, then a contract locked phone might be viable.

• Like 1

@dipan

while whta you have said is true aboy usa,CIBIL is also doing the job reg credit profile here oflate.may be firms are to hesitant fearing the after shocks of monsoon hungama

But compare to GSM GPRS dataplans, CDMA data plans are quite expensive, and without Internet Android phone is waste.

Also screen resolution is not upto the level.

As High end CDMA handsets move on to EVDO, coparision with GPRS packs is not fair. If EVDO on mobile is compared to 3G on mobile, 3G seems a rip off..

My HTC Touch pro CDMA for Tata has just died. And I am desperately looking for a newer handset. While I await for a decent offer on Samsung Epic for Tata, I am planning to buy Samsung Galaxy POP. And after Epic (which seems difficult on Tata) I'll gift Samsung Galaxy Pop to my wife. Today, I saw it in a local shop. As I was about to buy it, the shopkeeper said, I'll need an OMH T-sim, without which data wont work!

So I am confused. What do I do next?

As I was about to buy it, the shopkeeper said, I'll need an OMH T-sim, without which data wont work!

So I am confused. What do I do next?

So what's the issue?... OMH Sim is available in Tata and Reliance...

Oh ok. So I guess I'll have to apply there again and change it to OMH Sim. Just 2 days back I got a routine T-sim after my HTC crashed. Will apply for it tomorrow. Most probably, will buy it tomor and will try to post my views soon. Thanks :)

1. This phone is OMH EVDO Compatible and
  2. You get 15gb plan for 2 Month SMS when you insert Reliance SIM Card
  3. WiFi Tethering
  4. USB Tethering
  5. Android 2.2
  6. PPP Password can be changed from OMH based to MDN based for NetConnect based usage
  7. LCD Screen is so Cheap but Capacitive Sensor is awesome
  8. Overall Phone look as HTC Touch and its very snappy

• Like 2