Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
FEVIN-RAJ

Samsung Galaxy POP CDMA

8 Jun, 2011, 08.43AM IST - Economic Times

Samsung Galaxy Pop: A stand-out among weak lineup of smartphones

CDMA users often complain about the weak lineup of smartphones available for them. The few that are available, are priced out of reach for most. Samsung has come to the rescue with the Galaxy Pop smartphone, priced at under five figures (market price).

As a touchscreen smartphone, Galaxy Pop has a run-of-the-mill design. It has a 3.2-inch capacitive touchscreen with a 240 x 320 pixel resolution. The display is bright with a very responsive touchscreen, but under direct sunlight, legibility was an issue. The phone sports three physical buttons under the touchscreen for back, home and menu functions. Like most samsung phones, this one also has a power/hold button on the right of the device and a microSD card slot. On the left side is the volume key and the top has a charging port alongside the 3.5mm audio out jack. The back is kept simple with just the camera module.

The overall build quality of the phone is impressive. At just 12.1mm thickness, the phone feels compact and is easy to carry thanks to the 106g weight.

Running a 600Mhz processor, the Galaxy Pop does not lag or slow down in general usage thanks to the 384MB of RAM it comes with. It has 164MB internal memory expandable via microSD card (32GB supported), Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and EVDO connectivity (Samsung prints 3G on the box, instead of EVDO for making things easier to understand) alongwith GPS. It runs Android 2.2 with Samsung's properitary TouchWiz user interface and comes preloaded with a number of apps with full access to Android market.

We did face issues in running games on the phone with multiple applications running in the background. However, after shutting down background applications the games ran smoothly. The phone's GPS worked great and locked onto a location in under 15 seconds.

The phone has a 3.2MP AF camera which is below average in performance. In broad daylight, the images shot were average in clarity but suferred from dull colours. In low light conditions, the camera becomes absolutly useless due to the amount of noise. It records videos in QVGA resolution at 15FPS only which is a major letdown.

Thankfully, sound output from the phone is much better for both voice calls and music playback. The in-ear speaker has good clarity and the output is loud enough for listning in a noisy enviroment. The loudspeaker on the phone is also good with the maximum volume good enough for a small room. The phone also impresses in terms of its battery backup. It gave us about 2 days of backup with calls, music, gaming, browsing over Wi-Fi and mild use of EVDO connectivity. Most similar GSM devices last around a day.

As a budget CDMA smartphone, Samsung's Galaxy Pop almost hits the bullseye in terms of features and performance. Considering the fact that the closest competitor is Motorola's Rs 19,000 XT800 -a dual SIM (GSM+CDMA) smartphone with a larger 3.7-inch touchscreen, 550Mhz processor & Android 2.1. Overall, the Galaxy Pop wil satisfy most CDMA users looking for a good smartphone if you can overlook the poor camera.

Source....The Economic Times

@AvishekGosh ji...

All the launchers gets installed... But (as expected) it reduces the performance of the phone too much...

All I want is S60 style list of running apps + ability to kill them + switching to other app + seeing recent app... For that I am using is PreHome, which is very light-weight and does the following things:-

1. On double-clicking HOME key, shows the list of running apps (in regular color icon) + recently-used-but-closed apps (in slightly grey shaded icon)..

2. We can open new app from recent or jump to any running app from there..

3. Press and hold an icon of running app will kill that app..

3. Pressing home key brings to Home of default launcher selected by us, yes it can be adw or go or SamsungHome..

PreHome doesn't affect phone's performance and it is much much better than default-recent-apps list by Samsung (comes by pressing and hold HOME key)...

@Dipan ji, I will definitely try your method when I get some free time, most probably during this week-end... Anyway thanks a zillion for your efforts and +1 to you sir ji....

Thanks bro...........

& I/we will wait for week-end..... :signthankspin:

@ KanagaDeepan

Pls help me to clear my doubts...

*Official samsung specification says the cdma version of pop have 800 Mhz Processor,Bluetooth V3.0,& AF camera(whether GSM version have bt2.0,FF camera,600 Mhz processor)...Is it right?

*Can we use any resolution wallpapers here?(If i use a larger res wall,is it possible to crop,resize it in the phone itself?)

*Are u using the battery saving tips(wifi,gps,bt off,low brightness,auto sync of etc etc etc) to save battery power in ur pop?

*How to activate evdo in my existing MTS number?(MTS EVDO service is available in my area & I will get my omh card with existing MTS number within one or two days)

Edited by avishekghosh

the ET review is no match for the detailed reviews posted by rimweb members.

no offence intended.

*Official samsung specification says the cdma version of pop have 800 Mhz Processor,Bluetooth V3.0,& AF camera(whether GSM version have bt2.0,FF camera,600 Mhz processor)...Is it right?

1. Reg Processor 800 or 600 MHz

Don't know and also don't care as phone's performance is good (except in big games and launchers).. But if there is any app to find the CPU speed, I am ready to try it and tell here...

2. Reg camera... PopCDMA has FixedFocus 3MPx camera ONLY..

3. BT v 3 or 2... Don'know... But transfer of files are fast enough, may be 2.1, but NOT so sure...

*Can we use any resolution wallpapers here?(If i use a larger res wall,is it possible to crop,resize it in the phone itself?)

Ya... But all the seven desktops will have same wallpaper.. That is the wallpaper size is 240x320 for POP and so is same in all desktops, whereas in EPIC its 960x800 and the seven desktops will have different part of the big wallpaper...

*Are u using the battery saving tips(wifi,gps,bt off,low brightness,auto sync of etc etc etc) to save battery power in ur pop?

Yes, all... But as I said earlier, don't expect more than a day battery life...

*How to activate evdo in my existing MTS number?(MTS EVDO service is available in my area & I will get my omh card with existing MTS number within one or two days)

Call CC... In my case, Tata people came with OMH RUIM and special OMH HCC card to my home and transferred my wife's postpaid number to the OMH RUIM... As soon as the number got transferred, internet started working and I got SMS saying "Promo offer was activated on your number" (15GB data FREE x 2 months)... But the only issue is TataEVDO is NOT available in my town and so cant try EVDO on that day.. Tata people said that, there is NO need to activate EVDO on back-end as in RCom... Also next day, when we reached Chennai, i got EVDO signals and 3x was working very fine... Things are simple in Tata, but they don't increase EVDO coverage fastly...

I hope the same may be possible in MTS also... Call MTS rep or CC for more infos.. And one more thing, the offer (15GB x 2 months) is for the FIRST activation from the phone (so if activated to one MTS number first, then next OMH activation of MTS/RCom/Tata will never get the offer) and may vanish if the OMH RUIM was inserted into other phone or other RUIM inserted into POP, as told by Tata people to me... So be careful...

Hope this helps... Friends, if you have any other doubts, please ask and I will try to answer here reg POP_Cdma...

@ KanagaDeepan

I just got my galaxy pop cdma yesterday evening......my one is still grey colour....which colour u got?

Pls check this....

Android v2.3 for pop

Is this process & files work for pop cdma?experts & gurus pls put some light on this.....

Hi KanagaDeepan,

Could you please let me know that after upgrading to OMH RUIM and activated EV-DO, did you received any billed amount from Tata Indicom for the 15GB_FREE_data/30Days for two months (Total 30GB FREE in 2 months.

Regards,

Vista..

Kanaga ji,

Here is a method. The source of this guide is this. It is for GSM version but should work. I have not tested it so be aware there is some risk.

1. Install Latest Kies from samsung website into your pc here click on the software tab exe file.

2. Download and install SuperOneClick 1.7 by ShortFuse here see the end of the post there is .zip file. If you are not XDA member download from here.

3. Unmount your sd card under setting>sdcard and phone storage setting>Unmount SD card and then remove it from your phone

4. Set your SGA into USB Debugging mode by ticking it USB debugging mode under Setting>Application>Developement>tick USB debugging mode

5. Run Kies and connect your SGA to your pc using the cable (for safety reason don't use bluetooth or other connectivity)

6. Once your Kies show that your SGA is connected to your pc, Extract SuperOneClick 1.70 into a folder using winrar. Antivirus should be off.

7. Run SuperOneClick.exe as administrator.

8. Press Shell Root and the it will temporary root your phone and a small window will pop out it shown

"Device has a temporary ADB root! Reboot your device to remove it"

9. Click ok (don't need restart) and continue to press Root.

10. After finished root, it will pop a another small window called Test? and it will shown

Root files have been installed! Would you like to run a test? Press Yes

11. another pop out window will pop out and show "a su. blah blah blah...." Just press ok

12. and finally window will pop out title Rooted will shown

"Your device has been rooted!"

"Would you like to donate now?"

Press yes if you want donate or else press no

13. Unplugged and Reboot your SGA device.

Congratulation, Your SGA Device has been Rooted!

How to Check your device rooted or not?

Ans : Notice there will be a SuperUser in your menu

If this does not work follow this. This guide is for CDMA version but similar.

Dipan Ji.... THANKS a zillion... This method worked out GREAT without even a single issue... +1 to you...

Now my GalaxyPOP is rooted... Confirmed by AdFREE and SuperUser presence...

Launched !!! :clap::clap::clap:

Samsung Galaxy Pop Key Features:

•Android 2.2 Operating System

•800 MHz processor

•Pre-Installed Gmail, Gtalk, Youtube, Google Maps, Orkut, Quick Office and Android Market

•FM Radio with unlimited channels to store

•Upto 3.1 Mbps of Download Speed using HSD Network

•Freedom to choose your CDMA Operator – OMH

•3.15MP camera

•SD card support up to 32 GB

•Connectivity: Wi-Fi, HSD, USB, Bluetooth 3.0, Auto sync

•USB/WiFi Tethering

bro, how its is 800MHz processor...so far i know it is 600MHz Processor....

Pls check this....

Android v2.3 for pop

Is this process & files work for pop cdma?experts & gurus pls put some light on this.....

That is the GSM mini not CDMA pop, do not think it can be used.

I bought this phone from lsb with rcom coupon at Rs.7999

WTF !!! there is no adobe flash in it !! neither can i install it.

Otherwise its a decent phone.... little buggy though

Now searching for a flash solution... will rooting help ?

Battery is major problem in this HANDSET

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

@ememdy, rooting has nothing to do with flash player. Is it on android 2.1 or 2.2, try updating the phone to 2.2, it may help getting flash.

Tarun Kabra

Sent from my Samsung Fascinate

Hi KanagaDeepan,

Could you please let me know that after upgrading to OMH RUIM and activated EV-DO, did you received any billed amount from Tata Indicom for the 15GB_FREE_data/30Days for two months (Total 30GB FREE in 2 months.

Regards,

Vista..

Yes... I was billed for the amount of data used.. But I fought with them and got the amount waived off... Again the fight for second month has started now... As I am their star customer, they can't say NO to me...

Get ready to fight with them for the first 2 months 15GB data FREE... Even TATA is behaving like AirHELL nowadays...

@ememdy, rooting has nothing to do with flash player. Is it on android 2.1 or 2.2, try updating the phone to 2.2, it may help getting flash.

Tarun Kabra

Sent from my Samsung Fascinate

Adobe doesn't support some processors in cheap phones & Samsung galaxy pop cdma is also 1of them.

I hope this would help else try Google.

@ememdy, try updating the phone to 2.2,

Its Android 2.2.1

On googling found out that this may be because of the slower processor. :angry:

Flash doesn't work on any galaxy pop I guess.mine included.

got flash working on pop cdma ... though not great but still something is better than nothing

Solution

Kanaga ji,

Here is a method. The source of this guide is this. It is for GSM version but should work. I have not tested it so be aware there is some risk.

1. Install Latest Kies from samsung website into your pc here click on the software tab exe file.

2. Download and install SuperOneClick 1.7 by ShortFuse here see the end of the post there is .zip file. If you are not XDA member download from here.

3. Unmount your sd card under setting>sdcard and phone storage setting>Unmount SD card and then remove it from your phone

4. Set your SGA into USB Debugging mode by ticking it USB debugging mode under Setting>Application>Developement>tick USB debugging mode

5. Run Kies and connect your SGA to your pc using the cable (for safety reason don't use bluetooth or other connectivity)

6. Once your Kies show that your SGA is connected to your pc, Extract SuperOneClick 1.70 into a folder using winrar. Antivirus should be off.

7. Run SuperOneClick.exe as administrator.

8. Press Shell Root and the it will temporary root your phone and a small window will pop out it shown

"Device has a temporary ADB root! Reboot your device to remove it"

9. Click ok (don't need restart) and continue to press Root.

10. After finished root, it will pop a another small window called Test? and it will shown

Root files have been installed! Would you like to run a test? Press Yes

11. another pop out window will pop out and show "a su. blah blah blah...." Just press ok

12. and finally window will pop out title Rooted will shown

"Your device has been rooted!"

"Would you like to donate now?"

Press yes if you want donate or else press no

13. Unplugged and Reboot your SGA device.

Congratulation, Your SGA Device has been Rooted!

How to Check your device rooted or not?

Ans : Notice there will be a SuperUser in your menu

If this does not work follow this. This guide is for CDMA version but similar.

Thanks again....now my galaxy pop cdma is rooted & superuser icon is present in my phone.....

:previous:

Congrats brother... Can you help me?? I want the "wpa_supplicant" file from the c:\system\bin folder (Use RootExplorer)... Can you please upload that file??? While trying to make AdHoc WiFi accessible to POP I have messed with that file and WiFi is working erratically in my pop...

Thanks a lot...

Dear KanagaDeepan, I am contemplating getting this handset, my only worry/reservation has been a few reviews (ON FLIPKART and elsewhere) that this set hangs between calls, what is your take on this? Please advise.

Thanks

Mini Review of GalaxyPOP_CDMA...

<snipped>

Thanks rajanmehta,couldn't locate LG Vortex on rimweb! all the features I could look for vortex appear to be same as pop, except that Vortex does not have swype! can you please enlighten me more on this please.

Edited by amitksvs

^ ^ ^

You can buy LG Vortex which is CDMA equivalent of LG Optimus ONE and available on the forum for Rs 7,999. It's cheaper & better than galaxy pop.

• Like 1

Dear KanagaDeepan, I am contemplating getting this handset, my only worry/reservation has been a few reviews (ON FLIPKART and elsewhere) that this set hangs between calls, what is your take on this? Please advise.

Thanks

My phone doesn't hangs between calls... NOT EVEN ONCE...

• Like 1

Friends,

I got Galaxy POP CDMA i559. I do not have an OMH SIM so far and hence no data connection. Can I not get my GPS working without an active DATA connection? I thought it could lock on to signals from certain satellites; shouldn't it? Please help, as to how can we get the GPS working and see my LAT,LONG co-ordinates on my phone!

What is the cheapest data plan available with reliance in POST PAID?

Please help.

I remember advising my daughter to get the same for her father in law. He was fed up with his BB.He is definitely not tech savvy, and is very happy with the POP, esp since it takes RUIM's.