Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
sgiitk

Updated: Apple Sues Samsung - Apple Wins Patent Case

This will benefit Samsung in the long run.

1. It will be forced to develop (read innovate instead of copying). So that people will buy samsung devices not because they are "as good as Apple" but because they will be actually different.

2. All OS or software based infringements are valid for all Android phones. Hence, other smaller android players like HTC, LG etc will also suffer and Samsung will benefit because of its deep pockets.

3. These lawsuits have given Samsung lots of publicity and put Samsung on a pedestal equal to Apple.

4. Most of the devices which were named are already released and now Samsung would already have started working on newer ones that either do not infringe a patent or they will pay royalty to Apple. Both ways, customer will benefit too.

A friend said that the judge also stated that Samsung is not as cool as apple..is that so..well, i need to google..

(Dont Follow Your Shadow, Lead It!!)

-Sent from my Fax Machine

BAD NEWS !!

http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/apple-triumphs-over-samsung-in-landmark-patent-case/184117/on

Apple Inc scored a sweeping legal victory over Samsung on Friday as a U.S. jury found the Korean company had copied critical features of the hugely popular iPhone and iPad and awarded the U.S. company $1.05 billion in damages.

The verdict -- which came after less than three days of jury deliberations -- could lead to an outright ban on sales of key Samsung products and will likely solidify Apple's dominance of the exploding mobile computing market.

Apple's victory is a big blow to Google, whose Android software powers the Samsung products that were found to infringe on Apple patents. Google and its hardware partners, including the company's own Motorola unit, could now face further legal hurdles in their effort to compete with the Apple juggernaut.

In view of Apple winning the landmark case against samsung today, in my humble opinion, it seems that the prices of Samsung smartphones will increase initially and then eventually bottom out.

I understand that this may be a premature reaction, but that's what it seems at the moment. What is your opinion ?

What about other brands and gadgets running android?

I think it will affect everyone.

In us yes. In the rest of the world, I am not sure.

Let's hope there is no more sheep in higher courts for further appealing by Samsung...

Particular US District Court of Appeals having jurisdiction has around 10% success ratio for appeals. Quite low.

They also generally do not overturn jury findings.

Jury findings are considered findings of facts and generally prevail.

Samsung has to now concentrate on points related to findings/applicability of law.

I was expecting this kind of verdict the way entire trial was going on.

What better you expected from a highly literate country whose population thinks Sardars and Muslims are the same!

Because both keep beard!

Samsung has already started becoming serious on innovating features and designs for their new handsets and tablets. As a result GS3 is not getting affected by this verdict.

I'm an Android fan because it has enabled poor people to use good smartphones and because it has restricted price of Apple's products (it compelled Steve Jobs to comment that he was "willing to go to thermonuclear war"). This was of utmost requirement for stopping monopoly (of Apple).

I shall buy their first original set Samsung Hero to makeup their loss .......

applesamsungverdict.pdf-page-15-of-20.jpg

Sweet little lolly Polly .24% discount of originality

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Genius

Apple brought three utility and four design patents to bear against Samsung. Patent number 7,469,381 is for the bounce back that occurs when you scroll beyond the edge of a webpage or document in iOS. Patent number 7,844,915 is for single-finger scrolling and two-finger zooming, while number 7,864,163 claims tap-to-zoom technology. As for the design patents, D618,677 claims the iPhone's edge-to-edge glass, speaker slot and display border, while D593,087 claims its rounded corners and home button, and D604,305 claims the grid-style icon layout in iOS. The last design patent, D504,889 is for the iPad's edge-to-edge glass, rounded corners, and thin bezel.

Source - Engadget

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

American patent system has become rotten.

Apple winning the case is outcome of this ridiculous system only.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yes, the rotten patent system of US approves and gives whatever sh!t cr@pple applies left and right almost immediately (max few months)...

But the notification area patent by google is still pending for years...

The patent system of US is as rotten as the dirty polluted mind of the half eaten rotten fruit co.. Mark my words, this is the beginning of their end..

It also proves that, Not only developing countries are corrupt..

Sent from my Razr MAXX using Tapatalk2

Apple brought three utility and four design patents to bear against Samsung. Patent number 7,469,381 is for the bounce back that occurs when you scroll beyond the edge of a webpage or document in iOS. Patent number 7,844,915 is for single-finger scrolling and two-finger zooming, while number 7,864,163 claims tap-to-zoom technology. As for the design patents, D618,677 claims the iPhone's edge-to-edge glass, speaker slot and display border, while D593,087 claims its rounded corners and home button, and D604,305 claims the grid-style icon layout in iOS. The last design patent, D504,889 is for the iPad's edge-to-edge glass, rounded corners, and thin bezel.

Lol. Some of those patents have already been invalidated by courts in other countries because they are laughable / prior art / not original.

• If Apple is so moralistic, original and does not believe in stealing, why it had to settle with Nokia with it's tail firmly between two legs when it sued apple? Compared to patents in Samsung lawsuit, patents by Nokia were actually valid/original without which apple could not have sold iPhone but it did so without bothering to pay Nokia for close to 2-3 years. It tried using them without any moral qualms untill Nokia sued and then settled out of court silently paying billions of dollars. (The actual amount was never disclosed.)
  • If Apple is so concerned about values and aggrieved by others stealing their work, why no similar lawsuits launched yet against LG or Huawei or ZTE. They all use similar functions in Android. Point is Samsung dislodged apple in smartphone market share and is a real threat. Samsung sold double the quantity of smartphones in last quarter compared to apple.
  • This is not much about any innovation/originality or copying. It's about trying to safeguard marketshare and thwart competition by abusing the legal and patent system which obviously has it's flaws. Will the strategy succeed? No chance. Majority of consumers don't buy smartphones after reading court verdicts. They buy a particular one which they think gives them the best mix of features/performance at a better value. Period.
  • BTW one of the running theme in the trial was apple's arguement that customers bought Samsung phones thinking it's iPhone. Really? Apple credits iSheep smartphone users with such little intelligence where they can't even distinguish between two different phones! :icon_rofl:
  • Unless apple again starts innovating & incorporates features like LTE, large screens, some other USP which the competition is offering since more than a year, this strategy of litigation is not going to work. With the rat like speed with which Samsung multiplies their models, apple could be chasing it for life without much success on the ground. By the time a device is possibly banned (That too only in US, rest of the world won't be affected) it's already run it's course and sold huge numbers.

Apple is going to miss Steve Jobs more and more in the coming days. :(

• Like 4

^^^^^^

FD0275335C14FE8478597259F653.jpg

• Like 2

^ ^ ^

That's exactly how apple fanboys feel when presented with facts! :grin:

• Like 5

lolzz.. :Riendo:

• Like 1

This is the good article on what went wrong while deliberating on the part of jurors. It means, in ocming days, there will be more court room battles.

At one point, it also mentions that jurors were convinced that Smasung had infringed from the 1st day itself. so it seems very biased judgement. I think Apple marketing its products as innovative has played major role for this judgement. In fact, jurors were inconsistent and did not answer "prior art" ie whether something existed before.

Read the article here

Now Apple wants S3 also to be banned.

Apple wants 4 more Samsung products added to suit

Source

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — Fresh off its court victory over Samsung Electronics Co., iPhone maker Apple Inc. is asking a federal court to add four more of its rival's products to the list of patent-infringing products.

Apple filed documents in San Jose federal district court on Friday asking a judge to end Samsung's release of "copycat products," and urged the court to pull Samsung products released after its lawsuit was filed in April.

The new products include Samsung's new Galaxy S III smartphone.

Previously Apple had listed 17 Samsung products as patent violators, but the new filing lists 21.

Apple was awarded $1.05 billion by a jury on Aug. 24, finding Samsung had copied Apple's design innovations.

A Samsung representative did not immediately return a request for comment Friday.

It reminds me the play-school days, when small babies complaint their teacher for each and every worthless reasons...

Now Apple wants S3 also to be banned.

SIII as well as the original Galaxy Note! Well they can't have my Note back, I don't care how much they beg ^_^

Apple has really bugged me this time, as much as I have tried to give them credit for the design, quality and easy to use products they produce, all of the credit is washed down the drain as they wage this war against anything Samsung. It seems that the attacks by Apple are out of fear and lack of ingenuity. It must be a matter of great grief to them that the iPhone isn't as relevant as it once was and is now the go to smart phone for teens and the technologically challenged.

i find this to be funny, its like one car manufacturer telling the other that you can't have 4 wheels as that is our patent. Technology should be there for benefit of all. Apple is just trying to be selfish and greedy. Guess this shows how much hold Samsung and Android has on the market. I feel sad for Apple, that ban may hold in US, but other countries Samsung will rock and sell like hell. Also this Ban would not help as people would procure phones from outside US and use it . Just the way we guys get phones from US and use them here,

So net- net i see advantage for Samsung in the end, i am sure their sales would pick up after hearing this news, as people would hit the stores to get whatever stocks that are available.

Surprisingly, SIII tv advertisements increased...i was just watching tv and every other add was of sIII

(Dont Follow Your Shadow, Lead It!!)

-Sent from my Fax Machine

apung1.jpg

apung2.jpg

Guess these capture the expressions right :)

• Like 3

David Lawee, Vice President for Google’s Corporate Development, says "We didn’t really believe ’rounded corners’ were patentable." Source

http://bloom.bg/ODw85I

I am going to patent chewing !! If apple can patent rounded corners .. I am going to patent chewing ... and sue everyone who eats food ... start swallowing everyone :P

Apple and its sissy tactics :0

• Like 1