Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
ujjwalsarin

Non RUIM/SIM Handsets

I am initiating this topic to get RIM Gurus to put their though on RUIM V/S Non RUIM Handsets

Once upon a time all CDMA handsets in INDIA were NON RUIM. Globally users are not against NON RUIM handsets, but in India, somehow there is a biased towards RUIM based handsets

1. Is Indian Customer biased towards RUIM based handset?

2. Is a concern of locking to an operator real ?

3. If Pt 1 is true, can this perception be changed ?

4. What will it take for the above to become a reality?

ujjwal

since ours is a predomonantly prepaid market,firms do change tariffs as and when it suits them.moreover our firms have a habit of offering discounts to new customers rather than existing ones.ruim and locked handsets are unpopular for this reason i believe.

Non-RUIM/SIM handsets is an old technology.

Some legacy operators like in USA still hangs on to it due to inherent advantage of locking their users to their network.

India being late starter has embraced better technology and it should be appreciated.

yes every body is biased for non ruim set from dist to retaler to customer .

everybody wants freedom . atleast they can put sim in some other set in case any emergency battery out or some other set problem

All of us, who are using the imported non-RUIM handsets, might have faced the situation that when we are in an urgency of voice call only (commuting in a public transport and no data use), we get handicapped with not being able to change to a cheap/handy/non-power-hungry handset for the time being. We get stuck to the costly handset.

Toggling between RUIM-based and non-RUIM based handset is not an easy task.

OMH is the answer but it wont be a complete success until and unless the biggies in western market - Verizon and Sprint adopt it.

All of us, who are using the imported non-RUIM handsets, might have faced the situation that when we are in an urgency of voice call only (commuting in a public transport and no data use), we get handicapped with not being able to change to a cheap/handy/non-power-hungry handset for the time being. We get stuck to the costly handset.

Toggling between RUIM-based and non-RUIM based handset is not an easy task.

Well, not for me atleast ;) I am one of the very much blessed Tata customers in this case...

OMH is the answer but it wont be a complete success until and unless the biggies in western market - Verizon and Sprint adopt it.

But then we can't get great handsets like EPIC for cheap like now... But if they adopt OMH, then the handset choice for CDMA will grow very fastly, imho...

Below are my opinion, ready for amendments...

Only hurdle for OMH will be USA & Canada.

Even in USA, Verizon will not be hurdle from now on since their upcoming phones must have USIM slot for LTE.

Verizon's 4G phones have USIM slot but the phone reads only the LTE settings from USIM but CDMA 1x/EVDO settings are pre-programmed in the handsets.

I feel these 4G phones can be tweaked to read both CDMA 1x/EVDO and LTE settings from USIM and certified for OMH before being released in OMH countries as OMH devices.

Sprint will continue to be a hurdle since their 4G(Wimax) settings is also pre-programmed in the handsets along with CDMA 1x/EVDO settings.

Edited by kesav

USIM and OMH standards are different as I am given to understand, so even if Verizon decides to roll out USIM, it will not be compatible with OMH platform?

:previous: Yep. OMH and USIM are completely different standards.

USIM stands for Universal Subscriber identity module.

USIM is a advanced 'smart' card that authenticates the subscriber to the network while ensuring the integrity and security of the user generated data. It allows encrypted calls and data exchange and prevents fradulent access/evesdropping.

Hence recommended for 3G/4G network :) the present SIM cards that we are using will be ultimately replaced by them.

:previous:

Your understanding on USIM is correct.

Let me clarify on your understanding of OMH.

Future RUIM is going to be a smart card on which you can store SIM(GSM-2G), USIM(GSM-3G/4G) or CSIM(CDMA-2G/3G) application either separately or collectively.

It is the basis on which dual-mode(GSM/CDMA) phones with single slot works depending on the type of card inserted either GSM or CDMA.

There are even flexi-mode phones like GSM+GSM or GSM+CDMA. Here again one slot is RUIM complaint.

Since OMH is already based on RUIM, it's easy to load any of the application (CSIM or SIM or USIM) in to it.

PS:: SIM can work on GSM-3G/4G with less security. USIM will also work for GSM-2G

Edited by kesav
  • Like 1