Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
MOBILE FAN

Help Needed To Find a AA Battery Charger

I need to buy a AA battery charger.

I got a Kodak easyshare z990 camera from US and along with it, I got 4 Kodak batteries and Kodak charger. So far I used many items from US and became negligible this time and plugged the charger directly to power plug. Now its not glowing the LEDs and then I discovred that it was for 110 V AC.

I think, I would also need a set of spare batteries along with a new charger. I checked on web and got the hint that Eneloop from Sanyo are the good ones but costs Rs. 1100+.

Can anybody throw some light here on which charger should be used and which batteries would be good ?

u can buy Fast Charger of local (Chinese) brand , Simpex or Tigon

this is available in market for Rs. 500 only.

the best part is it plays music when battery is charged and can charge in 1.5 hrs only.

You can buy Sanyo Eneloop charger at around Rs. 700 from ebay

There are Kodak charger with two spare batteries for Rs. 375 or with 4 spare batteries for Rs. 600. You can also buy Sony charger with two spare batteries for Rs. 795.

I would suggest you to buy spare batteries of greater capacities (Energizer, Sanyo Eneloop, Duracell, Eveready of 2500 mAH or more). The free spare batteries are often of smaller capacities.

You can also buy USB chargeable batteries.

I bought Kodak charger with 4 kodak batteries from ebay. It was of 575 less 10% discount coupon = Rs. 517.50.

However, I found that the Kodak charger does not automatically cutoff after the complete charging. I think in future, if I find a good deal, I would go with some good charger.

In past before about 3-4 years, I had bought ENERGIZER charger for 4 AA sized battery. It was very fast and rapid cahrger. Was able to charge 4 X 2500 mAH NiMH batteries in 60 minutes flat. It also has individual battery sensors. Means if one battery is charged, it will disconnect that battery and will provide trickle charging so if one forget to remove battery and keeps charger ON, battery will not loose charge like usual chargers.

I have used sony charger too. But no comparision of this ENERGIZER charger with SONY. Energizer is excellent.

if you find it here in India check

http://www.energizerasiapacific.com/products_high_tech_rechargeable_chargers.aspx

Friend, there are 2 types of batteries and chargers; NiCad (Nickel Cadmium) and NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride). If you have NiCad batteries, you should use Nicad battery charger and if you have NiMH batteries, use NiMH battery charger. NiCad batteries have a capacity below 1000mAh (milli Ampere Hour = 1/1000 Ampere Hour) and NiMH batteries have capacity above 2000mAH. mAH indicates the charge storing capacity of the battery. For example 700mAH battery means it can deliver 0.7 Ampere of current (700 milli ampere) for one hour and a 2200 mAH battery means it can deliver 2.2 Ampere current for one hour. Both these batteries should charge at a current rate of 1/10th of it's capacity or lower . That means if the battery capacity is 700mAH, it can charge with a current up to 70 milli ampere (0.07 Ampere); if the battery capacity is 2200mAH, it can charge with a current up to 220mAH (0.22 Ampere). If we are charging with more than this current, suppose charging a 700mAH battery with 500 mA current, the battery will damage soon. If we are charging a battery with lower current, suppose charging a 700mAH battery with 35 milli Ampere current no damage will cause to the battery except it will take double the time to get it fully charged. To find the charging time of a fully discharged battery, use this formula [battery capacity / charging current] * 1.4 The factor 1.4 is to compensate the charging loss, in other words battery charging has only 70% efficiency, 30% charging power is lost as heat, to compensate the loss we should add a 40% extra charging 'time'. So if we are charging a battery with it's 1/10th current, it will take 10 hours to get fully charged but owing to the losses it will take about 14 hours to fill (a simple example is think a 500 liter tank is filling with water at the rate of 50 liter per hour; it will take 10 hours to fill but if the pumping line has some leaks it will take more than 10 hours to fill) , if we have a 2200 mAH fully discharged battery and a 70mA charger using this formula it will take 44 hours to take fully charged (2200/70 = 31.43, 31.43*1.4 = 44). The battery we are using in our mobile phones are Lithium ion and it can charge at 1/2 of it's current rate, but Nicad and NiMH batteries should charge at 1/10 of it's current rate.

@ kapildev

Very nice info. NiMN can be charged very fast using high frequency chargers. NiMH charging is trickier than NiCd or lithium batteries. Fast chargers are very convinient when batteries are likely to be used in camara or while traveling.

Chargers with faulty battery indicator is very useful feature

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

try camellion charger.. its cheaper and nice.. i have 2 of them, one can chrag3 max 4 batteries and other 2. in 4 bat. charger, you have to charge min 2 otherwise, it will not work. it can charge both NiMH and NiCD batteries. you can charge any brand and any battery with these charger.

it should not be more than Rs 350/- or so..