Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
sgiitk

Android Reboot Problems And Proxy

I have an Epic 4G running Froyo (Stock EC05) which I have rooted (super one click + ROM Manager + Titanium Free). I have the following problems / queries:

1. How does one set up the unit for a proxy connection? Our wireless is working fine on direct connection, but due to a system glitch disconnects every 10 minutes or so. I want to switch over to operating through our proxy server. Cannot find anything on the phone for it. Help!

2. I tried a cold boot: <1> key + power. I got the downloading do not switch off message. Then I waited for over 10 minutes but nothing happened. So with great trepidation I pulled and reinserted the battery and then restarted, fortunately things were normal.

3. To be doubly sure I did a nandroid restore. Three finger salute got me into the menu. The restore went normally but the unit did not reboot - was just hanging. Battery out, battery in and restart. It went into nandroid and the on selecting happily rebooted from there. Is this normal. I had to reinstall Speedtest as it was hanging with a network error.

4. How do I remove the Sprint garbage which is part of the system?

I am new to Android (or smartphones in general) so please guide me.

2). <1> + Power, is not for Cold Boot in Epic, it is for ODIN Flash

4). You need to root your Epic. Try the attached application for removing any stock application for Epic.else you can use Root Explorer to delete Sprint Applications. The best option is to use any Custom Rom "Garbage-Free"

Stock App Remover.apk

• Like 1

1. Do you want to connect to Wifi using proxy? Then use http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=13877562 or http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=766569. Please check with your seller before proceeding even though this should not affect your netconnect configuration.

4. Before removing ensure to check XDA for list of safe to remove apps. You can also use titanium backup pro to uninstall system applications.

Thanks tarun_kabra & dipanlahiri. Tarun, it is rooted (see my original post). I managed to remove some of the Sprint stuff using Titanium. The system became unstable So had to 'recover' from Nandroid. Now as suggested by Dipan I will check on XDA.

I have run into two minor issues in my Galaxy 551 which I have rooted with Z4Root.

1. ROM Manager does not list the 551 as an option for Clockworkmod recovery.

2. How do I boot into nandroid from here. Vol Up+Down, Power with or without the home key does not seem to work.

Here is the Epic safe to remove applications URL. [Files & Guide] All *.apks & Framework / Apps safe to remove

For the Galaxy 551, after you rooted, did you install a recovery image? You need to install a recovery image for nandroid etc.

For entering recovery mode found below ways.

Install the terminal emulator application from market. In "terminal emulator" execute:

#su
#boot recovery

After that the phone reboots and enters Recovery mode.

or T + Power button: RECOVERY MODE First push and hold the key button and then push and hold the power button until the screen power on.

To navigate in Recovery mode use the following physical keys:

Left and Right arrow to move Up and Down the menu options

Shift key (the one on the left above the red "Alt" key) to select the highlighted option.

• Like 1

Thanks for the guidance. I tried the T+<Power> trick on my 551. Did not work. Have downloaded the terminal emulator. Will check it out. The connection is very slow here so will try from the office tomorrow.

I presume the terminal emulator will work on the Spic as well.

Edited by sgiitk

Have managed to boot the 551 into reboot into recovery using ROM Manager. The green part of the display does not show the save image line. All my attempts to use T+<power> have failed. I am still to try the Terminal Emulator route.

You are able to boot into recovery using ROM manager? Then there is no need to try terminal emulator.

I presume when in ROM manager you select reboot into recovery option and the phone reboots and you are able to see few lines like

reboot now

wipe cache

format data/factory reset

backup/restore

advanced

etc.

Open the backup/restore option and do a new backup. That will be a nandroid backup. When changing ROMs if something fails you can restore the nandroid it is a system restore.

Please let me know if any queries.

Unfortunately, I am seeing only three options and not either of backup/restore, & advanced are missing. There is a yellow bit with some 'manual' option on it at the bottom of the screen. I have done the backup and restore on my Epic4G three times with no sweat.

Edited by sgiitk

Parin brother Dr is talking about 551 not Epic. Dr do correct me if I am wrong and what method did you used to root 551 can you please give URL.

@dipanlahiri; I can see the confusion, I have both Epic 4 and 551. The latter is for my wife.

I may end up with a third phone soon as the poor signal plagues the Epic. Now I am considering a GSM on either Vodafone or Airtel. I think I will get a prepaid, and see how the signal is at home, and at work. Only then I will decide where to jump to. Reliance are happily playing pass the parcel with my conplaint - CC (3/6) to Networking and then back to CC (6/6). The text is as under:

I got a call from Ms Swati from the above number (022-30326200) a few minutes ago, which was lost after 10 secs or so.

I had complained about the network problem in both my Residence (Navsheel Dham, Kalyanpur-Bithoor Road, Kanpur 208017) as well as on campus (IIT Kanpur 208016). Both are somewhat fringe locations. We had connectivity problems earlier, but for the past four years or so these were not there. The phones were in sequence Nokis 312*, Nokia 6275, Blackberry 8330 (cloned), and now Sprint/Samsung Epic 4G.

I am again having problems for the past month or so. These are of a two fold nature:

1. I am unable to talk from my office (signal level -106 or at most -101dB). I cam get smses in and out, and also most of the time EVDO connectivity is there.

2. I can talk from the bed room (first floor) of my house (typically -101dB). Also get EVDO at up to 9Mbps. Again voice quality is poor, and calls get dropped. Also, for some time I find that it may not dial al all or take ages/multiple attempts to do so.

Incidentally, you have an optical fibre link into the campus, since you have a Direct Dial facility (392 level) with our exchange, and also were (and maybe still are) providing a 1Gbps link to IIT. As for our residence there is a lot of building activity along the road, with major schools like Delhi Public School, Model School, Montessori Group (Lucknow), Gaurav International, etc. along the Bithoor Road.

I have been a RCom customer since DAPO days, and have not faced any major problems at home, though on campus we did have problems in the early days.

Both locations are to the best of my knowledge served by the same tower at Kalyanpur Kanpur. Maybe some thing is wrong there.

Dr ji,

Reliance cannot be expected to give decent customer service anymore even to longstanding customers.

Now coming to my earlier post I am confused by your issue about 551 recovery mode - because you said you are not able to go to recovery mode via ROM manager initially but later you were able to. If you are actually in the recovery mode there must be some sort of option for nandroid. There are various recovery images like clockworkmod (works with ROM manager) and Amon Ra (generally for Cyanogenmod ROMs) but both will offer nandroid option.

PS there is nothing called nandroid mode. Nandroid is a backup facility provided through recovery mode. You will be able to enter recover mode only if you have a recovery image installed. I want to know did you install recovery image after rooting with Z4root. Hence I asked for the URL which you used to root.

@dipanlahiri: I did a z4root and do not remember whether I installed a recovery image or not - most probably I did not. What do I do now? Do I unroot with z4root (1.3) and then reroot through oneclickroot. Flash Clockworkrecovery does not show the Sammy 551 as an option, so cannot download it. Should I try Titanium?

Thanks for the clarification about nandroid - I was just referring to the recovery screen. I can enter it through ROM Manager but not the T <Power> route.

Dr ji there is no direct clockwork recovery for i5510. I have searched but none. It needs to be ported http://www.koushikdutta.com/2010/10/porting-clockwork-recovery-to-new.html and added to ROM manager. I have no idea of android build so this is tough.

When in ROM manager you are going to recovery it is probably taking you to the stock recovery hence no option to nandroid. Gurus please correct me if wrong.

By the way I have searched and T + power should work. http://www.kaskus.us/showpost.php?p=378241011&postcount=1035 (translate please)

No need to unroot. If you do not plan to change ROM (there is no custom ROM for i5510 anyway I think) then not having nandroid is not a big deal. Please use titanium backup pro and keep a backup of all your apps and system data.

Edited by dipanlahiri

@dipan; Thanks for all your efforts. I looked at the first thread - totally overhead. With Greek at least I can read the letters. The second one is Bahasa Indonesia. Will try to see if Google can translate it tomorrow. In any case it a nandroid backup is not possible with 551 I do not care much about the recovery mode.

I am using Titanium (not Pro). Should I upgrade to pro. How, do you do a recovery from a Titanium backup.

OK ignore that link, it was just to show that the Indonesians, who btw call i5510 Gazzy, are able to reboot to recovery using - T+power, ADB (same as terminal emulator method) and a widget called switch pro.

Titanium pro is paid but the apk is available in the forum softwares thread. You can upgrade to that.

There is also another software called my backup pro, apk is in forum, which is a bit easier. I would suggest you can buy it for $4.99 as it also offers option to backup online.

Edited by dipanlahiri

Thanks dipan. The video showed me that I have to go to the menu screen to do things. Have got 3.8.0 from the forum. Done a backup on my Epic. Will try the 551 in the evening. Since Titanium is on my laptop should have no problem with the 551.

It uninstalls the free version (3.8.4) and then in the second round can be installed.

My desktop (Quad core etc.) is useless since it is only USB 1.1 and the phone does not like it.

Edited by sgiitk

Put in Ti Pro (from the forum) and did the Epic. Will try the 551 this evening. Of course 3.8.4 goes down to 3.8.0. afaik software labelling of a.b.c - a major rewrite, b minor rewrite/major bug fix, c bug fix. So x.x.4 going to .0 just misses ot some minor bug fixes.