Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
digitalnirvana

Beginners Guide To Android

3a - Video tutorials

We will use Samsung Epic as example as it is the most common phone here, but the process for all phones is similar. If you want videos for any other phone here, PM me and I will try to get them added. The required softwares URLs can be found by opening these videos in youtube and clicking on description.

Rooting and installing recovery image

Rooting, installing recovery image and installing custom ROM

To go to the recovery mode some key combination is needed.

Epic - volume down + camera + power.

Fascinate - volume up + volume down + power.

Evo - volume down + power.

Incredible - volume down + power > bootloader, there use Volume Down to select "recovery" and press power to select.

Hero - home + power.

Full list here.

• Like 4

3b - Video tutorials

Making a nandroid backup, installing a custom ROM and restoring the nandroid backup

This is an utility, accessible through Recovery Mode, that allows you to backup the device and restore to the exact condition at backup. Generally you would do a nandroid before changing or upgrading ROMs.

Making a backup

1. Boot into Recovery Mode

2. Select Backup/Restore (may vary depending on recovery.img)

3. Select Nand Backup (may vary depending on recovery.img)

4. Follow on screen directions to complete

5. Wait for it to complete.

Congratulations, you now have a Nandroid backup!

Restoring a backup

1. Boot into Recovery Mode

2. Select Backup/Restore (may vary depending on recovery.img)

3. Select Nand Restore (may vary depending on recovery.img)

4. Select your 'Device-ID' from the list (You will most likely only have one device listed)

5. Select the backup you want to restore (Latest should be last on list)

6. Follow on screen directions to complete

7. Wait for it to complete.

Upgrading ROMs

I am being limited to two media files per post so apologies for large number of posts. Mods if you could merge the posts keeping the videos, that would be great.

• Like 4

3c - Video tutorials

Adding and removing apps through sideloading

Sideloading means installing apps through non market sources. Ensure Settings > Applications > Unknown sources is checked.

Using ODIN to go back to stock

• Like 4

3d - Video tutorials

Recovery mode (clockwork) and root tips and tricks

• Like 3

3e - Video tutorials

Installing custom kernels and overclocking

Custom kernels cannot be flashed on stock ROM. Custom kernels offer overclocking i.e. higher frequency than the stock frequency. Because they are running at higher frequency the overclocked kernels are undervolted. So while this will increase speed, undervolting reduces life of electronics. For Epic do not push overclock beyond 1.3 GHz and most phones are good at 1.2 GHz. If you want to manually change frequency, do so at small intervals and monitor the performance.

Use setcpu to control overclock. Generally it is best to keep simple setcpu profile e.g. conservative governor min 200 max 1200 and one screen off profile at 200. Too many profiles confuse things. Note that for Syndicate Frozen ROMs you must keep conservative governor and screen off at 200 minimum.

Installing modem

Edited by dipanlahiri
  • Like 1

4 - Useful apps

The power of Android is in it's apps.

Here is a list of apps most of which I use. All of these are available in the forum/market. This list is just a guide please freely add any apps you feel useful.

You can also refer this and this for some good apps. A google search will also bring up many good apps.

1. Exchange E-Mail – K9, Touchdown*
  2. Internet – DolphinHD, Opera
  3. Video – TubeMate, mVideoPlayer*,
  4. Music – PowerAmp*, Ringdroid
  5. News – News & Weather, World Newspapers
  6. Contacts – CIACS, Go Contacts
  7. Dialer – Go Dialer, Dialer One
  8. Games – Asphalt, NFS Shift
  9. Messaging – GoSMS Pro*, Handcent, ChompSMS, PansiSMS
  10. E-Books – EZPDFReader, Adobe Reader, Aldiko Reader
  11. Dictionary – Britannica Concise*, Oxford English*
  12. Documents – DocsToGo*, Officesuite Pro
  13. Maps – Brut Maps/Navigation, NDrive*`, Sygic MMI*`, Navigon, GPS test
  14. Backup – MyBackupPro*, Titanium Backup Pro*^, SMS backup and restore, SMS backup+, G-backup full
  15. App markets – Appbrain, Applanet
  16. File managers - Adao, Root Explorer*^, EStrongs, Astro, Linda
  17. System utility – Android System Info, BatteryCalibration, Startup Auditor, SD Speed Increase, Spare Parts, Terminal Emulator, DroidStats, Linpack, Quadrant, Quick Boot, SetCPU^, ROM Manager*^, Anycut
  18. Utilities - AdFree, Barcode Scanner, Smart Tools, Setting Profiles, Quick Settings, RealCalc, ShootMe, Ultimate Voice Recorder, Unrar Pro, Document Scanner, Flashlight, Full Screen Caller ID, Ringdroid, QR Droid Private, ngpay, Evernote, Goggles, Scan2PDF Mobile, Sleep Up, Translate,
  19. Network monitor – Shark native
  20. PC connectivity – Android Manager, LogMeIn, Remote RDP Enterprise, WiFi File Explorer Pro*, Wireless Tether^, Dropbox
  21. Antivirus – Kaspersky Mobile 9*, Lookout
  22. Widgets – Beautiful Widgets*, Fancy Widgets*, Simiclock, some common widgets
  23. Live wallpaper – WP clock

Legend (not fully updated)

^ requires root.

* is paid.

` works offline.

Backing up and restoring apps using Titanium backup

Using Launcher Pro

This is much better launcher than the stock Android launcher or Samsung's Touchwiz. It is free but recommend to upgrade to Launcher Pro Plus for lots of features.

Edited by dipanlahiri
  • Like 1

5 - Removing bloatware

Bloatware is the carrier bundled software that comes with stock ROMs. One of the uses of rooting is to be able to remove these apps.

Install Titanium backup from the market (free). You can go to the backup/restore section and simply tap the file/app in question and hit uninstall.

Before removing any system app be sure to check it will not impact. E.g. for Epic see this. Safe to remove apps are in XDA for most phones, check them first please.

If you are not sure about uninstalling just hit freeze and the app will stop running but will still remain installed.

6 - Customizing bootanimations

Android uses a sequence of .png files which are looped at certain frames per sec to create impression of animation. So anyone with animation knowledge can create custom bootanimation.

Note custom bootanimations on Samsung Epic require custom kernel, because the stock ROM/kernel uses proprietary QMG file for boot animation. So if you are thinking of using a custom bootanimation ensure you are not on stock ROM.

For Epic the bootanimation.zip is in /system/media and shutdown folder is in /system/media/video/shutdown.

For some other phones the bootanimation.zip is in /data/local.

Here are some good bootanimations for Epic. Here are some for Evo.

Here and here are basic Reliance bootanimations.

7 - Tweaks

Using Wifi proxy - here.

Using Wifi adhoc - here.

Battery saving - here.

Installing apps directly on SD card - here.

8 - Must refer

Fulfilled Requests: Softwares! Pimp your Android!

Must Have Android Applications On Your New Android Phone The Apps I have Downloaded are....

Android - Desktop Softwares - Essentials

Offline Navigation Softwares For Android sygic and ndrive navigators

Android OS & Apps - Security Threats & Vulnerability Post Here - All Threats, Security Issues, Malware, Solutions

Videos on Youtube - here and here.

Edited by dipanlahiri
  • Like 2

Great Selfless Time Consuming Effort For The Benefit of Community.. Appreciated.. :):clap1::cheer::good::praise:

Great Stuff Dipan Bhai. +1 :)

+1 for you dear, thats a great guide, should be sticky.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

very informative thread.. many thanks.. :)

Zillion thanks to dipan bhai...... :signthankspin:

Very good,informative posts for every user of android......

(Phataphati likhecho dipan bhai....anek anek dhonnobad tomake...)

+6 for u..... :signthankspin: :signthankspin:

Everyone thanks for the comments and glad you found it useful. Please do let me know if something needs to be updated.

Thank you dipan. Excellent labour of love. I will chew over it tomorrow.

Thanks for your effort to provide this One stop shop for android basic. +1

Excellent work Dipan.

Many thanks.

Excellent work... You are a FACINATing INCREDIBLE EPIC HERO, Dipan Ji... +1s to you...

GOod work dipan bhai. good thread for a noob like me :)

+1 for you.

BTW Nandroid backup takes backup of all the apps, cache files and contacts(which are saved in phone)/SMS etc?

Is there a way i can take backup of SMS, Contacts which are saved in Phone (not in any google account), and and apps i previously installed.. then upgrade the ROM to 2.3 and restore those contacts, sms, etc...?

^

Please use titanium backup (video in part 4) for apps and system data or my backup pro for apps, system data, contacts, call logs etc.

Edited by dipanlahiri

Very good tutorials. Thanks

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

what is difference between nandroid backp and titanum backup?

Thanks Pankaj, Amtrag, Abhishek, Kanaga ji, Kalpak sir.

what is difference between nandroid backp and titanum backup?

Nandroid is an android utility which backs up the entire ROM through recovery mode, it is sort of system restore point.

Titanium backup or my backup pro are backup apps which backup apps/system data/SMS/call logs/contacts etc. They do not backup entire system.

Edited by dipanlahiri

nandroid will also backup the SMS and contacts saved in phone and other app cache??

what is "Modem"? Why do we need modem?

in the video you posted, the guy talking about EE03 Modem, EC05 Modem ......

Sorry, im a noob and had been too lazy before to know more about flashing custom roms.

but today im in full mood to learn it all as much as i can :D

thanks to your easy compiled guide dipan bhai :)

gwad... i miss my BlackBerry... every thing was so easy with it :D

most of the videos it says to use different cable coz samsung stock cable which comes with epic is having problems.

is that true?

shud i go and buy different cable tomorrow before flashing any other ROM?

Nandroid creates img files of boot, data, system partition of phone and ext partition of sd card. Anything found in those will be imaged and backed up so yes contacts, apps, SMS etc will be backed up. But you can only use this backup when you restore to the same backed up ROM and not after going to another ROM, please do not confuse nandroid backups with other (titanium or my backup pro) backups that can carry your settings from one ROM to another. Nandroid is like creating a system restore point in windows so that if anything goes wrong you can restore to it while being on the same OS. While titanium is like backing up in external HD so that after upgrading OS you can restore on new OS.

New modems can increase signal and data speeds. Modem flashing is not required but you can try it out if your current modem is not giving good signal or 3G speeds, the modem version is there in settings > about phone > baseband. EE03 modem is rumored to improve 3G and should work on Froyo EC05 ROM also. I am on EC05 modem on Syndicate Frozen ROM EC05 1.1.1. Edit upgraded to EE03 modem now.

The stock cable has worked fine with me and do not know why the video recommends other cable, go ahead and flash no need to buy different cable unless you have any issues in USB connection with the stock.

Edited by dipanlahiri
  • Like 1