Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
digitalnirvana

Beginners Guide To Android

Thanks Doc, 389 pages guide to fully load your Android.

I will have to take a leave from office to complete this Novel.:winko:

Attaching the File for easy download, on phone/ipad/tapatalk.

Guide.pdf

• Like 1

does any one know how to see call log while still on call

While a call is on, tap on 'Add Call' button which allows Call Conferencing. This will put the current call on hold and will bring the initial dialling screen which has 'Call Log' tab. From that tab you can use the desired number. If you do not want to use any number from the call log to make conference call, you will need to return your original call to release the hold.

• Like 1

very nice initiative but I have a different problem

I have htc wildfire which has no flash support.

I want to watch ten sports tv channel on youtube (working well on laptop), My phone is having youtube icon but while searching tensportstv, it doesnt show the channel in the results.

are live channels not suported by youtube application on the phone ?

is there any way to watch it on phone ?

Use skyfire browser with its video playback addon.

Your problem is solved

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

skyfire browser not available in android market,

log on to website and found that it does not support my phone

:NOTriste: :NOTriste:

now what ?

well I subscribed to the channel and it is showing in my subscription section of youtube application and shoeing the videos uploaded by the cahnnel but not playing the live channel...

guys please help me...

Edited by amitnsonu

arre baba why go for android market when u can get that app from some else where :devil2:

Skyfire browser is now available on market.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

What is EXT4?

Searched it on the web and most of the sites says its a linux file format system like fat32 and ntfs for windows.

On xda somebody said that"android run faster on ext4"?

How to convert my epic (stock rooted rom) to ext4?

Will loose my data on phone and sd card if I change it to ext4?

What are advantages and disadvantages of it?

EXT4 is a memory block partition, similar to ext2 popularly used for booting into Android or to run android as an .sqsh, .tar.gz or ext3 mnt.

What is EXT4?

ext4 is a filesystem used primarily by the Linux OS. It follows ext3 which by itself followed ext2. ext2 is the preferred choice on Android phones for the OS. Your sdcard uses fat32/vfat and hence is accessible on windows machines.

On xda somebody said that"android run faster on ext4"?

What are advantages and disadvantages of it?

From my experience with Linux filesystems on desktops, all I can say is that there are no significant benefits on a single core mobile phone or tablets with shifting to ext4 if your phone already uses ext2 and you are using flash memory for the OS. In fact both read and write performance is likely to be slower and the life of the flash memory device could come down if you shift to ext4. The primary benefit is reduced chance of data corruption if processes hang/become irresponsive and if you have a habit of removing the battery without powering off the phone. The use of journaling on ext3/4 improves reliability.

However on desktops which use Harddisks as the storage medium, an ext4 is better suited due to better reliability and lower disk fragmentation and improved read performance but at the cost of write performance.

Edited by anandjm
  • Like 1

So you mean ext4 is likely to reduce the life of memory chip in the phone if not coupled with dual core processor?

Excellent words of wisdom, anandjm. I will keep in mind your detailed post above.

have a query about android!

Is it necessary to update an Android Phone to a newer version?

What will happen if We do not update it?

Not at all necessary if you are happy with your current android version's features and they are enough for your needs. It will continue to work even if you don't update.

In near future, it might be possible that some of Applications stop working. For e.g. I had a HTC Hero, which is didnt update for years, and when after one year i tried to use the Market, it didnt work, after updating the latest OS. It started working.

the only reason that i am asking this is because am planning to go for android, but to update it needs time and there can be many a glitches . . .and as i have shortage of time . .i dont wanna be engaged into any kind of problem!

so should i go for android?

But i know dear forum members are here to help!

What happens to the data setting of my HTC EVO 4G if I upgrade to the next version of Android? Will they remain or will have to redo.

Edited by thilak.kmb

Good collection of guide videos for users still on Epic - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1009997

Gurus/users on 3Vo, DINC2 etc. requesting you to share any such video tutorials in this guide thread as well, in addition to the phone specific threads. Might be you can put the main tutorial in the phone specific thread and put a reference link here. The idea is for this thread to get continually updated with guides for most of the commonly used phones.

Google Engineer Debunks Myth: Wiping Battery Stats Does Not Improve Battery Life

Source

There you have it, in the title. Google engineer Dianne Hackborn, who has previously explained Android’s hardware acceleration, took to Google+ again to clarify some myths about the Android operating system. This time, it’s a point of common advice that you’ll see in virtually every FAQ thread about custom ROMs and flashing: wiping battery stats in order to improve battery life.

The reasoning behind that piece of advice was something like this: If you, at some point, did not charge your Android device fully (for example, only to 80%), it would supposedly remember that battery level as “fully charged” – in this case, you’d only ever get to use 80% of your battery, which is of course less than optimal. So, if you wipe the battery stats, usually done in ClockWord Mod Recovery, the device would “forget” the previous level, here 80%, and instead charge to the full 100% once again, thereby re-calibrating the battery. Or, as Hackborn puts it in more technical terms:

The battery indicator in the status/notification bar is a reflection of the batterystats.bin file in the data/system/ directory.

However, as she explains, that’s not the case. Because those battery stats, stored in the batterystats.bin file, are only used to maintain information about what is using the battery when not recharging. That is, it essentially holds the information displayed in the Settings > Battery screen. Nothing more, nothing less. Thus:

It has no impact on the current battery level shown to you.

It has no impact on your battery life.

What’s more, you’ve probably noticed that the battery usage data is reset once you recharge your device anyway. From this you can correctly deduce that the battery stats are wiped as well – every time your device is recharged. More or less every day. If there was any effect, you would’ve noticed it without going into recovery and doing that stuff. Typical placebo, eh?

This is great source of information. I am planning to go for android and this topic has been helpful.

Thanks guys..Added to favourites.

One simple one. I have got myself a Wildfire S, and am planning to S-off and root it. It is on the OTA 2.3.5 and has a Marvel ROM. I will have to go the htcdev.com route, by the looks of it. I have downloaded and insatalled the bits, namely, Android sdk, adb, fastboot etc.

Today I thought I will do a backup.

I went into the bootloader (Vol down + power) and when I entered recovery I got a triangle with an exclamation mark, and it was just hanging there. Does recovery not work with this approach?

One simple one. I have got myself a Wildfire S, and am planning to S-off and root it. It is on the OTA 2.3.5 and has a Marvel ROM. I will have to go the htcdev.com route, by the looks of it. I have downloaded and insatalled the bits, namely, Android sdk, adb, fastboot etc.

Today I thought I will do a backup.

I went into the bootloader (Vol down + power) and when I entered recovery I got a triangle with an exclamation mark, and it was just hanging there. Does recovery not work with this approach?

Did you correctly open recovery mode, seems to be download mode instead.

Also after rooting have you installed a custom recovery like clockwork mod because that is required for nandroid etc.

Also after rooting have you installed a custom recovery like clockwork mod because that is required for nandroid etc.

As my post stated I am still not S-off. I tried a backup on my Dinc2 which is rooted, and was able to backup with no issues. I think you have indirectly answered me, nandroid, etc. are only available after root. The basic is just to flash recovery (God knows from where?).

As my post stated I am still not S-off. I tried a backup on my Dinc2 which is rooted, and was able to backup with no issues. I think you have indirectly answered me, nandroid, etc. are only available after root. The basic is just to flash recovery (God knows from where?).

To be clear the generic steps are

1 download root script

2 download recovery image like clockwork mod/ACS recovery - this would generally be there in the same thread as that of root script - XDA forums is the place to check

3 flash root script verify SU

4 flash recovery image

5 boot into recovery

6 nandroid

Optional

download custom ROM

boot into recovery

clear cache

flash ROM