Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
amit.shippie

Sharing Hard Disk For Small Group

Hi all...

We have a small work group of 6-7 people. We need to update many document works mostly excel and word files and some images. I want to know is there any way that we can share a common hard disk and can operate it from anywhere through Internet or is there any online facility like this?. It should be in such a way that we can update it from anywhere using any internet connection. I searched over net but couldn't understand anything.confused.gif

Edit : I tried google docs its working fine but some of our documents formats it cannot handle.

Edited by amit.shippie

Hi all...

We have a small work group of 6-7 people. We need to update many document works mostly excel and word files and some images. I want to know is there any way that we can share a common hard disk and can operate it from anywhere through Internet or is there any online facility like this?. It should be in such a way that we can update it from anywhere ung any internet connection. I searched over net but couldn't understand anything.confused.gif

Edit : I tried google docs its working fine but some of our documents formats it cannot handle.

I think what you need is a Document Management System

where you can edit you documents on whatever formatt you want

and update it to a common repository

a said document is locked by a said user for editing - at that time no one else can change it ( they can view the version as taken latest by the current user)

once his chnages are done he updated and releases teh lock. then next personn can take the latest of the doc and resume working

if u want something like this I can help you out with this their are lot of s/w in the market

<a class="bbc_url" title="External link" href="http://www.openkm.com/Product-overview.html" rel="nofollow external">http://www.openkm.co...t-overview.html</a>

Regards

Niraj

you can use google document facility...the file will not be in Office format....but very similar to that....and it can accomodate your general need..it can be shared....

Thanks Rahul and Neeraj... I am discussing Google Docs with my colleagues. They liked it.

@Neeraj...We are having some problems in google docs if those are not solved I ll be back to you... Thanks again to both of you for the helpsignthankspin.gif

apart from Google docs you can use the Microsoft live documents (https://docs.live.com) it provides some added features like offline editing and auto sync facility for the documents which means you don't have to be online all the time while working on the document it'll sync automatically whenever internet will be available. in order to use this feature you need to have Ms Office 2010 or above. apart from sync it offers other features like 25GB free space for the documents per document size limit is very high. Drawback with the Google docs is that it doesn't provide all the new formulas and features of the MS office.

previous.gif thanks a lot Manish... I tried with your suggestion but the problem is here in our site office internet is provided by shipyard and it is restricting the address from opening....any workaround??

edit: Isn't google cloud connect for office serves the purpose of editing offline???... Enlight me..

Edited by amit.shippie

Amit you can try one of of this,

1. Microsoft Sharepoint 2010 http://sharepoint.mi...es/default.aspx (It's an Offline solution too in addition to online. Can install on your network..)

2. Microsoft Office 365 (Which incidentally includes Sharepoint i suppose) http://www.microsoft...e-software.aspx

Edited by rajanmehta

In my office we did something. we have windows 2k3 server and net connection with static IP. we created all user with active directory and also enabled Remote Login on it. all users have access to 2 folders, viz one is his own folder to which no other user has access and one common folder where everybody has access. this common folder is used to share files between various users.

now all users can access these 2 folders from anywhere using static IP and in order to make secure, use firewall and different port. not the default port provided by windows.

• Like 2

GoogleDocs would have been the right way. This will allow you to store file at centralised location and everyone can edit it. Each user's changes will be correctly saved. However you have mentioned that there are formatting issues and you may / may not be able to use it.

In that case its left to use a Internet Based FTP drive where you can store a file. Let others download it and edit on their PC/Laptop and again upload it.

Limitations:

1) Version Management: If two guys download and work on it, the last person who again uploads on server, his file will be only available with his changes.

2) You will require Word / Excel on the Local PC to edit it.

3) Becomes slightly complicated than Google Docs.

4) You may endup leaving a copy on the PC where you edited the file, compromising its confidentiality.

thanks a lot to all of you... We started using google docs for trial and everyone is liking it due to very simple operations... With the use of google cloud for office its awsome... This is good for us as we can share our comments with shipyard giving them view only facility.. As I said in my first post that internet connection is provided by shipyard so we cannot install any server as they give us permission for only 4 people at a time.

Edit: As i use android so u all know the secret benefits winko.gif

Edited by amit.shippie

are all members of your workgroup connected to the same network (LAN/Wifi) or are placed at separate places?

I guess, you are almost there..

Try this solution www.dropbox.com.

Click here http://db.tt/0y6aBvN

& open your a/c which is in cloud. Now sync any folder on your C drive or D drive with this on line a/c. Suppose that folder is named "share", then, whenever you add / delete any files in the share folder, it automatically gets synced on dropbox website.

You can share this folder to other people ( I have not tried this, but I guess it will be same as sharing a folder on common network).

Just check out & you never know what good lies there..