Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
amit.shippie

Research in Motion, You’re Done Here!

Research In Motion is done. They'll be bought in the next year or so, their products will roll into whoever buys them – Microsoft, most probably – and they'll go the way of Nokia, Danger, and countless other mobile platforms. They'll exist independently for a while and then be subsumed. It's over.

Here's why.

There is no money in "business" phones. Blackberries aren't status symbols. They're the real-world equivalent of the thick, heavy IT-department-assigned business laptop. They're staid, boring, and unwanted but people are used to them and, for email, they are quite capable. But that's about it.

But these phones are increasingly getting a drubbing from IT departments who are starting to support more popular devices including, obviously, iOS and Android phones. No one ever got fired for installing a BES, but you can be sure someone will get fired for not supporting WebDAV standards over the next few years.

You can make lots of money selling hardware to fleet buyers, to be sure. But when those fleet buyers are saving money by refusing to pay for devices, where do you think consumers are going to go? Back to the same hardware they've been saddled with for years?

Their audience has already moved on. I remember a few years ago I was invited onto MTV (and never invited back) to talk about the "top smartphones." I think it was 2007. These included a Windows Mobile device, a new Sidekick, and, inexplicably, a Blackberry Curve. The results of a viewer survey had the Sidekick beat out the other devices quite handily but what I couldn't understand was how the Curve, for all its benefits, could have made it onto the list in the first place. The Sidekick was a lifestyle device and even the WinMo-powered Dash by HTC could be seen as a lifestyle device. But the Curve? Never.

RIM has an audience, but that audience is shrinking. Arguably they had a good run, but there are plenty of other devices from other manufacturers – Microsoft included – that have much more cachet in terms of general appeal. Even BBM no longer sounds as enticing as it once did, especially in an era of Facetime, Qik, and Hipchat.

RIM's competitors are stronger and faster. Android is taking the lead and iOS is a close second in the general consumer phone market and, barring some misstep by either party, RIM will always be a distant third. I'd even say that Windows Phone, post Mango, is looking to be a better business solution for many users than anything RIM has to offer. What could RIM do to pull out of this death spiral? Release consumer phones? Nope, tried that. Release business phones? Nope, tried that. Release a tablet? Nope. Which brings us to our next point:

They blew the tablet race. Completely. They blew it. RIM is estimating they'll sell 800,000 after preliminary expectations of 2.4 million. Even if every single Blackberry owner was forced by their IT departments to buy a Playbook at gunpoint they probably couldn't sell half that number.

The Playbook is a beautiful, well-made device. But it is a year too late and far too confusing for the average consumer. Their biggest mistake? RIM failed to provide native email out of the box. That's the long and the short of it. The biggest name in email couldn't pull off email.

No matter what they change, they can't escape the past. Take a look at the video below. This is from Nokia's last smartphone to run a variant of Meego. Looks pretty great, right?

Source

Edited by amit.shippie
  • Like 2

Nice article - RIM gone for toss

there are other reasons also. all their devices are 99% similar in terms of look and operation like nokia. its OS feel too primitive compare to Android and iOS. even their sure press tech for touch phone flopped.

i hope microsoft gets it, nothing like it. MS will have benefit of integrating its other products and have out of the box push mail service.

:previous: Hard to believe Steve Ballmer would buy RIM while trying to make a go of the deal with Nokia.

:previous:

With Seteve Ballmer in M$, anything can happen... He is sooooooooooo brilliant :rofl_200: to throw cash for anything, skype, deal_for_nokia, etc...

I personally loved n sure press touch screen on my storm 2.

I miss it on my epic.

true that rim is really poor in terms of innovation these days and seems like they are totally unaware of the competition in outside world.

Ive heard that last year verizon discarded rim's proposal for storm3 which was absolutely identical twin of storm2 but with little more ram and OS6.

And imo verizon decision was absolutely correct. Why would anyone spend 500$ and buy the same phone again.

This year they are coming with Bold 9900/9930 touch and type concept with new os 7.

Sleek, beautiful and faster. But again no dual core processor which most of the top smart phones will be having. That might be a deal breaker for many.

But anyways BB were never a gaming phone. It is still the best business phone in the market.

Stable, Secure and sturdy.

But in other category it lacks way behind. Like in browsing, gaming, music, picture editing, video capturing, navigation etc.

People's preferences has changed these days. And with so much competition in smart phone category. Blackberry days are gone.

They now have to come up with more innovative ideas to save themselves from extinction.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk