Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
chitshar

Using 2-Way Walkie Talkie In India

One friend of mine wants to buy 3-4 walkie talkies for use in his factory. Some one told him that using walkie talkie is illegal in India and requires a licence. Can anyone shed some light on this issue and also suggest what and where to buy from. His maximum range requirement is 2 kms.

I heard somewhere.. If any of your transmitted communication in any frequency outside your own premises, it requires you to hold a license in india. Dunno entire details on it though..

Yep. You need to approach the Regional Licensing Office of the Wireless Planning and Coordination Wing (WPC).

There are free citizen band radios. Check with citizen band radio. Long distance / network walkie talkies are different than citizen band radio

Http://en.m.wikipedia.orgwww./wiki/Citizens_Band_radio_in_India .

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Edited by kshah

I heard somewhere.. If any of your transmitted communication in any frequency outside your own premises, it requires you to hold a license in india. Dunno entire details on it though..

So if it is inside premises, no need of license. Then in such a case which is the best 2 way walkie talkie and approx price and where available.

i can suggest a trick .. what u can u do is buy 2 portable Hand handles i.e VR-3X they are pretty cheap and gud .. its can u be used on ham radios so u don't need license to buy them and u can use 123.45 frequency its world wide frequency used by pilots to talk to each other and if ur using in u premises just don't tell anyone there should be np ..

If u want to get license to use that you have to go to WPC wing in New Delhi , u have to pass oral and written exam if they haven't changed the rules .. other wise they will tell u in detail ...

I am also looking for same product , which will reduce my company telephone bill,

Any suggestions ? which product to go ?

I can import my self, but i need some good product available in india with warranty.

previous.gif I have inquired thoroughly and came to know that if u want to legally use a walky talkie there are certain private security companies which give the hardware and they arrange the licence also. But i dont think it will save your phone bill as it is quite expensive. The cost structure which was given to me is-

1. handset 4.5k each

2. one time registration fee 6.5k

3. yearly licence fee for 2 sets 1750 and rs 550 for every additional set.

On the other hand you can get sets from abroad and use them at your own risk. The problem with doing so is if there is any licensed ham operator in your area and if by chance he is using the same frequency that your sets operate on will get disturbed by you and he might complain to someone. And if you will like to go for licensed sets with warranty and technical support log on to www.radiocom.in

I am also looking for same product , which will reduce my company telephone bill

ever thought of using CUG or On-Net plans

^^^

2 phones = 2K minimum, + monthly telephone bill ? walkies 1 pair approx 4K on time cost (without license)

Motorola makes the best walkie talkies!

Gentlemen, I would strongly advise against any attempt to bend the rules in this regard. This is a highly sensitive issue and any brach of rules WILL land you in serious trouble with various security agencies. Please READ BETWEEN THE LINES

^^^

Yes they are the best, but they are not present in india, all are imported sets.

I am also looking for same product , which will reduce my company telephone bill,

Any suggestions ? which product to go ?

Mobile on-net packs/plans are so cheap, it's far better to go for subscribing to same operator for all the staff members of a company than handle the hassles of using walkie talkie. Even if it is not CUG (that needs postpaid connections), on-net packs can reduce calls to 10p/min in many cases and even to 2p/min in Uninor. Some packs allow free on-net minutes/seconds which can extend upto unlimited duration e.g. Tata Indicom.

Moreover, it is not user-friendly to use a walkie talkie. The mode of talking is mostly simplex. Unlike full duplex type of talking in mobile phones, where both persons can talk simultaneously, walkie talkies are mostly simplex types. Some are half-duplex types. Talking with someone by pressing a button and releasing the same for hearing what he says is cumbersome practice.

Full duplex walkie talkies are costly.

^^^

Also, if your staff members work in a premises, you can use wifi internet to enable handheld devices into full-duplex walkie talkies over VoIP.

Palm OS supports this feature. For this even Sony Clie, a very cheap palm OS PDA can be used. I've handled Sony Clie, it is a nice cute product.

See here how to make Sony Clie a full duplex walkie talkie over wifi.

Nowadays, there are wifi/bluetooth 'walkie-talkie' type apps floating in android/apple app markets.. This can also be an option. Could be costly, but an option...

Never used one extensively, are these walkie-talkies a battery hog?

WT can be battery hogging depends on type of battery and how strong or poor signals are,

BT / WiFi will not suite factory or my type of work place.

Also people using them are not eligible for company phone.

These WT will be rotation basis, (on duty only)

only the following can be used without licence.

1) Indoor use of low power wireless equipments in the frequency band 2.4GHz to 2.4835GHz.

2) Use of low power wireless equipments in the frequency band 2.4GHz to 2.4835GHz

3) Indoor use of low power wireless equipments in the frequency band 5GHz

4) Outdoor use of wireless equipments in the frequency band 5.825-5.875GHz

5) Use of low power wireless equipments in the frequency band 865-867MHz for RFID

7) Use of low power wireless equipment in the 335MHz band fro remote control of Cranes

8) Use of low power wireless equipments in the Citizen Band 26.957-27.383MHz

i am not looking for legality of it,

just looking for a product available in India with warranty.

license is 2nd . ;)