Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Greatest

Help for selecting best HD DVR DTH service

The time has now come for me to change my Reliance Digital TV to either Videocon D2H or Tata Sky +...

Need fast and important suggestions from you knowledgeable lot of all members... Will be buying either of one within this week...

Reliance ko karo Bye to Tata + ko bolo Hi.. Bichme ye Videocon kahase aai?

^^^ I was expecting your reply, GOD... but not this one.. maybe an analysis or something.. ;)

Airtel ke bare me kya khayal hai?

Off topic: any one aware about standards of broadcast used in HD TV? 720p or 1080I or 1080p? AFAIK its 720p not 1080p but not sue.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

^

FullHD is 1080i.

720p will show 50 frames per second (fps) each with 1280 by 720 pixels (When specifying the frame rate the standard may be written as 720p50 or 720/50p). The "p" stands for progressive to distinguish it from the interlaced standards with an "i". The interlaced standards show only every alternate horizontal line of the image for each frame so it takes two fields to cover all the lines. 1080i is an interlaced standard with 1920 by 1080 pixels and will be transmitted at 50 half frames per second in the UK (i.e 25 frames split over 50 fields). When specifying the frame rate these should be written as 1080i25 or 1080/25i (Often this is incorrectly written as 1080i/50 or 1080/50i.) Both standards use an image aspect ratio of 16/9. In the US a faster frame rate of 60 fields/sec is in use but the EBU (European Broadcasting Union) have chosen the slower rate of 50 fields/sec for Europe. It is possible that DVD, computers, games consoles and other HD devices may use 60 fields/sec even in the UK. Of the two, the 1080i standard looks set to be more common than 720p for TV broadcasts in the UK.

go for TATA sky+, Maxmimum hD chennel,

Supported by broadcaters like STAR TV, SKY, UK

900Hrs of recording,

Full HD is 1080p. But it is very resource hungry.

To the eye the difference between 1080p and 1080i is visible only when there is a very fast moving scene, because of interlacing.

So the world over 1080i has new almost become the standard for broadcast.

Very few 1080p broadcasts are done woldewide.

The only way to get the taste of 1080p is through 1080p encoded blueray.

Some manufacturers of LCD/LED TVs are using the method of overscan in 1080i to get rid of the motion jitter. They load the total even frame and odd frame in memory and then display the full image image upto 4 times the original rate recreating the missing frames which reduces the motion jitter considerably.

It is 1080i @50Hz in India. [Edited]

IMportant to know this if you're buying a TV/player/game console from abroad.

Edited by xuketo

@ Dipan

Full HD is 1080i but it is achieved from 720p signals. Real and ultimate HD is 1080p. Progressive scan makes picture better than deinterlaced.

My purpose to ask this question was that if satellite transmission is 720p then there is no point in wasting money on 1080i based TV's. There is a good price difference between them.

Also motion jitter is because of refresh rate of LCD's. scanning of picture is not the only reason.

My question is still not answered : Satellite TV transmission is 720p or 1080i ? As far as I understand 1080i is function of TV not the broadcasting.

@Vijaybhai, I have never really thought of Airtel. I think they are costliest in terms of usage costs (they might be cheaper in starting investment)...

I am keenly looking for Tata Sky+ or Videocon d2h only...

Some of the TRUE HD Channels (Not upscaled ones) in India like National Geographic, Some of the Star Channels, Discovery, Some sports channels are transmitted in 1080i.

So if you have an HD Set Top Box from any of the DTH Operator, buying a Full HD TV does make a difference instead of HD Ready.

^^^ I was expecting your reply, GOD... but not this one.. maybe an analysis or something.. ;)

What i have experienced practically that sometimes analysis raises more questions than answers.. confused.gif You really want one? Here it is..

Assumption is that you currently have a Reliance Normal Set DTH Set Top Box and now want to upgrade to an HD/HD DVR from other operators?

Don't know what issues you had with Reliance but if looking for an HD Box, don't discard Reliance totally yet..

HD DVR Set Top Box Features/Cost: Tata has higher capacity box. That's relevant only if you'll be recording too much. Otherwise box cost is almost similar for Tata, Reliance & Videocon.

HD Box Software Interface: Advantage Tata but not entirely without it's niggles. Still can be termed as better than Reliance/Videocon..

Customer Service/Experience/Promptness: Tata by a long shot and expect that lead to remain.

Subscription Cost: Reliance better. Videocon was most economical earlier, not much now. In Tata you'll always pay higher, less liberty/choice of packages.

Quality of True HD Channels: All will be same 1080i. No Difference.

Quality of Standard Defination Channels: Reliance has better SD Quality as it has more Transponder Space, so applies lesser degrees of compression to SD Channels. Tata/Videocon SD quality poor compared to Reliance. This is critical if much of the viewing will be SD.

Future Content/Features particularly HD: Reliance expected to launch more own channels/content (Few already launched) as it is taking media as important future business. More of Western/Hollywood content can be expected. Tata no slouch either but may not be at Reliance level.

Are you more confused now?

^^^ So what you are trying to say, is Reliance as it is, shall be a better match for me? Just that one needs to upgrade to the HD box/DVR...

but then I am sure everybody's requirement would be different than anybody else... I also require that I will fix another STB in one of our rooms, so additional cost of the stb also needs to be considered... Plus, my main requirement is good picture/sound clarity (saala, one pays more than 75K for a full hD 42 incher almost 3 years ago, and no HD content makes me feel, grhhh), Faster response rate (starting, easy moving between channels, GUI, etc etc)

Batao mujhe, aaj kal, kaun yeh sab 'extra' services use karte hain (like active in tata, etc)?? except for mothers/daughters, that too even if they are well suited to browse through the services inside the puny little remote?? {This was one reason for me to not deter towards TATA, because their USP according to me is, extra features in terms of content}

I had also heard someone/somewhere (also includes online forums elsewhere) that videocon has one of the best GUI, and easy to browse, plus faster in accepting the input given from the remote control, than reliance or tata...

Regarding Videocon not being cost-friendly, mujhe abhi pata chala aapke post se.. I thought its a cost-effective product than competition {assuming I will have one main, and one add-on connection}.. But now I think ill have to digg deeper...

Also, I was/am under the impression that videocon has/have more HD channels (and also other 'viewable' channels) than others... Plus they have like 2 or max. 3 packs, wherein the topmost pack, will have everything including HD (plus one 3d channel, pata nahi woh use hoga ya nahi kabhi), whereas everyone else has scores of plans, and plus they ask more (like tata asking 50 bucks a month) for HD channel feeds...

I am just thinking that we get user reviews of videocon and tata (both HD ones), about as many aspects they think is relevant for them and might be useful for decision-makers like me...

BTW, Rajanbhai, I really appreciate your hardwork and knowledge about this on your earlier post.. Thank you very much for your great inputs... It will surely help me in taking a decision :)

I will recommend Tata Sky HD+. Have been using Tata Sky HD and HD+ since the time they were launched. More than happy. :)

Is there option in tata for recording another channel while watching another and option for recording a series?

Is there option in tata for recording another channel while watching another YES

and option for recording a series? Don't know, did not try to find

Yes to both your questions.

Is there option in tata for recording another channel while watching another and option for recording a series?

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

So if you have an HD Set Top Box from any of the DTH Operator, buying a Full HD TV does make a difference instead of HD Ready.

That is not true and will depend on the size of your screen and your viewing distance.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

According to available information

StarplusHD feed is 720p.

DiscoveryHD is 1080i.

Dont have more information about others

Tatasky HD stb upscales everything HD to upto 1080i/50Hz

SD feed in tatasky is 352 x 288 for most channels which results in poor resolution

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk

any idea bout dish-tv ?

:previous: many claim Dish TV's 35 TruHD channels are a gimmick that just upscales SD channels. I haven't checked the quality of those channels though, so not sure how "tru" it is.

I got AirTel HD DVR installed last month and its been excellent for me. If you decide to go for AirTel then do let me know if you have any questions.

DishHD is upscaling 576i to 1080i using software interpolation.

Looks slightly better than SD but nowhere can it be close to HD

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk

Good news for Videocon D2H HD DVR - Star Asli HD channels (Star Movies, Plus, World & Gold) and ESPN HD & Star Cricket HD added now!

Good news for AirTel HD as well with Star Asli HD channels (all 4 of them) being added from tomorrow. They have the lowest price for HD channels now with the HD Plus pack (7 HD channels) for Rs.65 + tax per month. No news yet for ESPN HD and Star Cricket HD yet. Hope they will add before 21st when the England tour starts.

TATA Sky HD will get Star Cricket HD from July 19.