Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
retro182

Help Needed - The LED / LCD / Plasma Paradox

I need help from fellow members as to what TV would be ideal as far as brand and technology is concerned.

I need a 32 or 40 inch TV for 1 room and 46 or 55 inch TV with home theater for another.I want to keep the brand of both the TVs same to get proper discounts and services.

I've shortlisted Sony or Samsung LED for these but am thoroughly confused where what would be appropriate i.e. LCD/LED or Plasma and is there any other brand i should consider. Also I'm planning to use Tata Sky HD+ with these TVs so pls suggest accordingly.

Awaiting your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

samsung is currently considered as one of the best. even better than sony. Plasma should be consider if you plan to buy anything above 50". otherwise LED/LCD.

samsung has many LED TVs and price varies as per series. They have full LED TV while sony don't. I will suggest go for Samsung. you can also ask Dhiraj. He has samsung LED, i guess 6 series.

In India, everybody will suggest you sony without any guess.

Edited by csmart

i feel its a mistake to fix on the same brand before checking the discounts.

what if the service is annoying for any reason on one of the TVs?

you are stuck with the same aggravation for the other one also

just go on the basis of final discounted price for both to see which combination gets you the best deal

many shops may discount additional if you buy both TV from them regardless of the brand

tata sky will work on any of the brands you mentioned so that will not be a constraint

if you have the budget go for LED

else go for LCD

i have a 32" LG plasma and the 'ghosting' is very visible when you power off so avoid these

also some power component tends to burn out unless you remember to switch off from the mains which can cost rs. 6-7 k to replace

our was replaced after 15-18 months of purchase and the warranty is 1 year as usual

i don't have to worry about this issue on my older panasonic LCD which has been used twice as much without any burnout

Well the idea is to first buy one use it and than go for the second bigger one. I'll prefer to keep both the TVs of the same brand but if I'm unhappy with the first i'll obviously look for an alternative for the bigger version.

The think is that my family members are a stuck on SONY coz of the legacy and thus are aversive to Samsung but if Samsung's are considerably good than I can convince them to change their opinion.

Any further info would be great from members.

I've also been told by a very learned source that 80% of the components in Sony are from Samsung so I'm a bit perplexed about it ..... more infor or help needed !!!

Thanks in advance.

Are you HD'ed yet?

samsungledhd.jpg

My 40" Samsung LED TV 40D5000; Now your choice should depend upon your budget and the picture quality. Now for picture quality trust your eyes only, dont go by previous reputation.

I went for the LED because I got it for the price of a LCD (44K) because I went for the grey market one and not the warranty one. Its been 6 month's now and its going great. Just remember to give it a proper Voltage Stabilizer. I use my Microtek 800VA UPS for my entire HT system, to protect it fully. Now I dont say what suited me will suit you too. My mental framework may be different from your, and you may require warranty for peace of mind. I saved 30k and was willing to take the risk.

Now all top brands are good, whether Sony, Panasonic or Samsung. Decide your budget, go and see the picture quality, and take your decision. LED's are much brighter and crisper than LCD's. In plasma only Panasonic is good; dont even think of any other brand in plasma. But they are power hungry, a little old technology, but still give the most natural picture in large sized tv's (above 40"). But once you see a full hd movie in a good LED, I dont think you will like any other tv (budget permitting).

Edited by dkaile
  • Like 1

Samsung LED 6 series and above is best for price vs performance.

If you are looking @ pure color quality alone, then go with Sony high end LED TV's.

LG LED also had good color reproduction, but the biggest problem for me was its glossy screens(2010 models, not sure now).

I have been using Sammy 32c6900 as monitor,

Once you have adjusted with LED u will never go back to LCD.

As someone told in this form, plasma is also good, but best for big screens.

Edited by ss_rakesh

@A Shah,

What did you finally buy? How is the performance?

@Anyone

Does any one know of grey market dealers in Mumbai, apart from Alfa and Hera Panna?

Whichever brand you choose...do not choose LG. I purchased 50 inch plasma three years back..and now the picture tube is giving problem( black thick lines appearing on picture tube) and LG people are telling me that it'll cost Rs 25,000 to fix

^ thts common prob of lg

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

I have almost finalised on Samsung.. have to decide between UA32D5900VR, UA32D6000SR

Checked rates at Alfa

UA32D5900VR - INR 40000

UA32D6000SR - INR 45500

With bill warranty (not grey)

Planning to go ahead with 6000SR... does anyone have benchmark rates? are these good?

One more point to keep in mind is to buy one with a high refresh rate. Normally lcd and led have a refresh rate of 60hz. Go for one with a refresh rate of atleast 120hz. With this you will be able to watch 3d movies via a 3d bluray player or power dvd 11 via a pc using normal 3d glasses like the ones we get in the movie theaters

if u have the budget go for plasma then led & last lcd

Arent Plasma's really power hungry?

One more point to keep in mind is to buy one with a high refresh rate. Normally lcd and led have a refresh rate of 60hz. Go for one with a refresh rate of atleast 120hz. With this you will be able to watch 3d movies via a 3d bluray player or power dvd 11 via a pc using normal 3d glasses like the ones we get in the movie theaters

I agree.. Guess most models upto Series 6 in Samsung offer 60Hz only..

Can it be configured for higher refresh rate like we do for computer monitors?

if u r looking for LCD, try AOC LCD monitor cum TV. these are best buy! my bro bought Aoc 26'' @ 13K one yr back