Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Bablus

Recommend Men’s Shaving System

Hey, need to gift a friend Men's Shaving System..

Like a lot of men, he finds shaving a chore and boring task.. needs something which makes it easy and fun

I believe, Philips and Panasonic have good range of products... but I was unable to decide one would suit...

I am sure a lot of people on the forum must be using and would have their reviews and recommendations to share..

Please advice

Cheers

Go for Phillips.. I am using one from past 4yrs, and its still works like new. Very durable, very efficient stuff.

I've attached the picture, which I am using. SI.gif

post-76187-0-50501200-1312028479_thumb.j

What is the model number?

any clue differences between various model numbers..

Is it such an advanced technology with so many features that it requires so many variants?

The gadget Rahul suggested is a trimmer, not a shaver, I presume from the picture.

A trimmer is used to make the beard to be trimmed to various sizes, from short stubble to longer ones.

I use a trimmer of National make (made in Japan) for last 9 years. It's so sturdy.

I used a Braun (German) shaver. That was also very good.

Thanks Sougata...

Is it such a niche category of such few users?

@Bablus

Take your friend to shop and then pickup shaver as a gift instead of buying and taking, because lot of time different people have different beard hard- soft with varying density.

Shopkeeper may guide u depending upon blade, for me I had philips 2 blade one but due to hard beard I had to go for 3 blades I also tried Braun 1 long blade one and gave up and stuck to wet shave.

Pass him some inspiration and he will be shaving soon.

schicksexsurvey.jpg

All men should be eternally grateful to the allmighty that we don't have to go through the pain of searching for which sanitary napkin ?

Who says that God created everyone equal and did not do any partiality? He must be a man !!

• Like 2

CID Whispers: All men should be eternally grateful to the allmighty that we don't have to go through the pain of searching for which sanitary napkin ?

whisper.jpg

Enough trouble Hunting/Maintaining SN wali what else?

Live Carefree

And I noticed that this issue is so important that it has been pinned.... :Riendo:

Yes DK Bhai its very important, Shaving is one task we do almost (:winko:)every day.

Few options I am thinking for myself

3.jpg

shavemobile.jpg

Edited by ::Hitesh::

Well, if u have trouble deciding, then y donot u give prepaid gift card from popular E-shop.

What is your budget?

Lower priced have 2 blades might want to check http://www.letsbuy.com/philips-hq912-p-12859

For 3 blades the prices are higher check this page http://www.letsbuy.com/philips-home-appliances-shavers-and-trimmers-c-172_423--m-31

These are for shavers.

There are combined grooming kits with shavers, trimmers etc. check the letsbuy URL.

What is your budget?

2000 - 5000

Lower priced have 2 blades might want to check http://www.letsbuy.c...s-hq912-p-12859

For 3 blades the prices are higher check this page http://www.letsbuy.c...c-172_423--m-31

The point is.. I dont want to decide based on only price. I checked out Philips site. Its really well made and explanis all features very well.However, I am still not sure of the crticality of the feature or specific pros cons of models.So thought I should take opinion from those who would have experienced it..Like corded or portable. Obviously Portable is better, but is a corded really difficult to handle?

Need suggestions on which brand is the best... Philips? Panasonic? Brawn? Gillette?

What key features to look at

Well, if u have trouble deciding, then y donot u give prepaid gift card from popular E-shop.

Good idea. But I prefer to always gift something tangible rather than gift cards etc... they lose personal touch..

Yes DK Bhai its very important, Shaving is one task we do almost (:winko:)every day.

Few options I am thinking for myself

Interesting options... I remember a Iphone video on youtube, where in it was claimed in years to come Iphone can do anything you wish and one of them was shaving.. :P

There was a old (mis)conception that these things used to spoil your beard? Is that true?

Sent from my HTC EVO3D using Tapatalk

^

Due to this conception I never used ages old 2 blade philips shaver but then finally ventured into 3 blade system few months back n I don't think it has any effect on quality of hair.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

I would think it is true DK ji, these are rotary blades so unless one shaves regularly he will have circular knotty beard.

I have been using Philips since Nov 1974! Go for Philips (Norelco in the US) any day. The current best are either Wet & Dry or 8- series. 8-series has triple row of cutters. My son and I got ours from Dubai a couple of months ago.

• Like 1

ahh it is a damn good topic! ... any package includes both trimmer and shaver ?

I am buying a trimmer soon for myself... letsbuy or flipkart ?

I be getting from USA so be it Philips series 8

Thanks for recommendation

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

I bought 1 from USA in Mar'11 for 40US$ and it is rechargeble by pluging in to Electrical socket but 110V. So when you pick up 1 keep this in mind!

I be getting from USA so be it Philips series 8

US will be Norelco. The nomenclature may also change. You can see the multirow cutters immediately.

As for stories about beard getting messed up, they can be termed (not appropriately) old wives tales. I have been on electrics for almost 37 years, so if beard was to go knotty it would have one. I use electric every day (or even twice when I have to go out in the evening).

There was one occasion about 20 years ago when I left my Electric at home as the place I was going to had very frequent power cuts (my shaver was mains only) so thought I will use a blade for 10 days. After the first three days it was hell. The skin becomes softer when you are not scraping it every day.

For those contemplating a switch go 100%. The first 3 weeks will be hell, and then bliss. You and the beard take some time to get used to the new protocol. The biggest problem - learning to shave before washing your face!

• Like 3

previous.gif

I tried electric (philips) few years back and it was pure hell as you say.. Left it within a week.. Didn't last 3 weeks to experience the bliss..

Now again getting tempted to take the big leap of faith in light of your revelation.. confused.gif

i just bought a norelco for $80 in DC a month ago and its amazingly better than my older phillips [rs. 4-5 k at croma a few years ago]:

post-594-0-50918000-1312433729_thumb.jpg mine is silver / grey but similar to the image on the left

1. the blades are so much better that i don't even need to apply the 'pre-electric' liquid to my face before shaving to soften my coarse beard
  2. the charge lasts twice as long as philips
  3. it takes half the time to fully charge up
  4. its multi-volt so it works on 110 - 220v worldwide
  5. its so much easier to shave that i even managed to shave while watching tv lying in bed [though only when the wife was out of town!]
  6. after 1-2 years of just weekly use the logo sticker on one of the three blades falls off which does not affect performance

post-594-0-64778400-1312433794_thumb.jpg however, i also keep a Gillette as backup [M3 power or fusion with 4 blades per cartridge instead of 3] which needs a AAA battery so that i can shave against the grain for extra smoothness that my wife demands!

post-594-0-50601200-1312434437_thumb.jpg on an unrelated note: i tried shaving with a regular mach 3 and was shocked at how much worse it was than the battery version of gillette ...

it took more time / strokes and more cuts [usually in the neck area] for the same end result

unfortunately i have not seen the turbo in india yet but highly recommend it for those who are not using electric shavers

post-594-0-61598000-1312434524_thumb.jpg i have been using electric shavers for 15 years now without any side effects and my beard is NOT coarser or 'circular' as mentioned in prev posts here

i just shave 2-3 times a week instead of daily since i'm too lazy

post-594-0-44425000-1312434553_thumb.jpg most shavers work best on flat surfaces like your cheeks but not as well on bumpy / angled surfaces like neck / adam's apple so you can feel the difference and need to do a little 'touch up'

post-594-0-04932300-1312434600_thumb.jpg it takes less than a week for my skin to adjust so its not as big a deal ...

i have not yet come across any electric shaver that allows me to use it 100% as mentioned above - its only smooth when moving your hand with the grain but you can feel the roughness against the grain for which there is no substitute for my gillette.

hybrid is best of both worlds

• Like 3

:previous:

Fantastic - detailed analysis!

+1 to you.

Looking for similar reviews for your other gadgets that you use.