Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rajanmehta

DoT Proposes One Nation, One Market Policy

DoT Proposes One nation, One Market Policy

Source

The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has proposed to simplify the country's telecom landscape. It has suggested one tariff for each licence holder across the country, all-India mobile number portability and doing away with roaming charges.

At present, the country is divided into 22 circles. Each circle has its own tariff structure. Number portability, too, is allowed only within a circle. And, subscribers have to pay a roaming fee for using telecom services outside their home circles.

The proposal to do away with roaming charges was also floated last year. Telecom companies, already reeling under low tariffs due to tough competition, might oppose the proposal as it would lower their roaming revenues.

The proposals have been mooted by the various committees set up by DoT to finalise the new telecom policy.

DoT PLAN

• One tariff for each licence holder across the country
  • All-India mobile number portability
  • Doing away with roaming charges
  • Freedom to companies to use spectrum for any service

The DoT committees have also pointed out that the use of spectrum should be service neutral. This means that spectrum being auctioned should not be linked to any service and operators should be free to use it for any service (2G, 3G, 4G, etc).

To support the plan, the committees have mooted a nationwide call centre and a number for emergency services, akin to the 911 service that can be dialled from anywhere in the US. It has also suggested that access to broadband should be made a fundamental right.

DoT is in the process of formulating a new telecom policy due to the controversy over allotment of 2G spectrum. After the resignation and arrest of former telecom minister A Raja in the 2G case, the new minister, Kapil Sibal, announced the government would come out with a new policy. The policy is expected to lay new norms for mergers and acquisitions and spectrum allocation. It will also seek to enhance rural coverage.

very nice initiative...

only thing we need is timely implementation that is not the case with Indian telecom.

MNP itself took years to go....

Would be great if the policy is actually implemented. The only plus side for the telecom companies is the unified license. Else they are already running in losses and this would surely add to the burden. We would slowly see telephone call rates rise. The question would be, which company would blink first and actually increase costs!

It would be something like a dream come true if it really happens in our country.

I'll pray to God that no vicious lobby succeeds to defeat this move by DOT and 'aam aadmi' gets benefited.

All is good but if all the providers are forced to have same tariff then no competition and HIGH call rates.

Only time will say whether it will be good move or arm twist for aam aadmi :GirandoOjos:

^ ^ ^

Don't think it is talking about same tariff by all operators.. It says One Tariff for each license holder.. That should mean if Vodafone offers a particular tariff in Mumbai Circle, it has to offer the same across all circles.

It's more like removing tariff disparities by same operators across circles.

Much required, however this point is most interesting.

• Freedom to companies to use spectrum for any service

Is this to allow Rtel to offer voice over data spectrum?

I'm not sure if its a good idea. Why should a telco offer uniform tariff all over india when competition levels in different circles differ? Whats wrong with differential tariffs across circles? Why not leave it to market forces?

And about moves that may impact operator profitability, if their profits are genuinely under strain, they will find ways to recover elsewhere. So if they remove roaming rates and increase local call rates, whats the point?

This is NOT new for me atleast... I am enjoying Incoming FREE all over India for almost a decade... But it will surely help the people working outside their state and also will bring the benefit of "Inter-Circle MNP" as a side-benefit...

This may bring STD calls to the level of Locals or to be EXACT it may bring UP the Local calls to the level of STD calls as Raccoon ji pointed out... Still better than looting roaming charges by GSM_Only operators...

Hmmm... What is VERY INTERESTING AND SUSPICIOUS is Technology neutral and Freedom to companies to use spectrum for any service.. I guess RCom and RIL behind this scene as this will favour Ril in voice + Data over BWA...

To explain benefit for RCom, let me remind the rumour of converting TataIndicom_CDMA to TataIndicom_GSM (by Sumit bhai) also makes me to guess wildly that RCom and/or TataCDMA may bring GSM service on 850MHz CDMA spectrum + 1900MHz GSM service (for good indoor and outside-city coverage by IntraCircle_Roaming agreement bw siblings <<TataIndicomGSM+TataDocomoGSM and RCom850+RGsm>> ) For the good old CDMA customers, they may give Rs250 Quadband_GSM mobile as exchange of any old CDMA phone for the conversion...

OMG... What a bad nightmare... It wont happen, but still the current behaviour of TATA atleast gives me such fears...

I doubt this can done as I telcos will oppose or won't implement properly. Look at MVP and also 1 india plan. No telco promoted one india plan where everything was for Rs 1.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Draft telecom policy 2011: Roaming mobile charges could be abolished; MNP may be extended beyond base circle

Source: http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2011-09-15/news/30160072_1_mobile-number-mobile-operators-mobile-phone

in developed market.

single country single license follow.

so it's on iine of same path

well major changes might be one plan for all the cities from one operator, so reliance cdma operator would give same plan to all users across nation is what this new policy means.Yes definately good but how much and when implemented is yet to be seen.