Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Arun

MNP: Last Nail In The Coffin For CDMA?

^ you are right in certain observation but not in its entirety

Initially cdma was adopted by people in their innocence, when I took connection I never new that there were more than one standards of mobile communications. I bought it because it offered 144 kbps connection over 56:6 kbps then offered by dial up connection. GSM services were not providing data services those days. After buying it, when my phone went off, I came to know that there was no SIM, however by then I was already hooked to CDMA.

Many people bought CDMA for affordability. Even today we use perhaps best handsets available at best possible price with best possible voice tariff

Reliance has widest coverage except hilly region. Reliance lost chance to press qualcomm to adopt ruim when ADAG took over. CDMA has lost its spectrum efficiency edge since few years, now GSM is as spectrum efficient as CDMA.

CDMA has certain inherited security lapses hence offering unrestricted Evdo seems to be distant dream. So in order to protect interest operators are choosing short cuts of not encouraging evdo on all type of devices. Qualcomm is exploiting cdma market for strengthening its position in GSM market. Its using its research.

Cdma business needs to revamp entire implementation if it wants to offer services with freedom like GSM, lesser infrastructure cost is one area CDMA wins. But certain technological inferiority like sms lenght, encoding, mms issues, voice data simultaneous are the area CDMA will not be able to evolve and keep pace with GSM

Many of loyalist of cdma like me will leave CDMA the day best handsets at best prices are no longer a reality. Imagine 1.2 ghz cpu, 8 gb on board memory, 8 gb external memory, gsm+ cdma handset (single stand by) cost me just 15k because one part of it is cdma. Similar gsm counterpart has 1 ghz cpu and cost 25k (moto D2G and milestone )

Cdma is first to get 3D handset. So cdma rocks if not in future atleast till date.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

^ ^ ^

Superb post... That's like summarising CDMA Mahabharat in a short Haiku without losing the effectiveness..

@Kshah which is this handset that you are talking about? the 15K one?

kalpak sir is referring to Motorola Droid 2 Global..

see here

pricing of Motorola Droid 2 quoted by our own super seller of the forum Sadikk > here.. :)

Edited by aalok

Jo maja CDMA ke handset use karne me hai wo GSM me nahi....

GSM is all about just swiping the SIM Card...Thats it..

In CDMA, MEID, Akey, SPC, PRL, HDR these stuff are the things which evolve interest to use them :Contento: In sab cheezo ke saath khelne mei hi to maza hai...

@Amit Jain, for the majority of mobile users unfortunately, a mobile phone is "meant" to be that way, user friendly, easy to access and easy to work with. It is only the techies / technologically inclined who love to play with software and try and possibly improve something. Others believe, if it is not broken, then it need not be fixed!

Jo maja CDMA ke handset use karne me hai wo GSM me nahi....

GSM is all about just swiping the SIM Card...Thats it..

In CDMA, MEID, Akey, SPC, PRL, HDR these stuff are the things which evolve interest to use them :Contento: In sab cheezo ke saath khelne mei hi to maza hai...

I liked the sarcasm :) I agree.

Amitbhai,

MEID Registration & Akey is a distant dream not only for a noob but also for experience people who can do programming...

• Like 1

MTS is actively expand its network all over the country. Reliance and Tata give up their interest in CDMA. Hope MTS is the deciding factor in future for the CDMA technology in India.

MTS is the only operator from the new entrants who seems to be serious in business. Entering into dying cdma business+ MNP above that....it is very tough to survive in this multi billion telecom market...I am sure that MTS will have a dominance in the cdma market soon and it shall bring good handset to the market...

Seven Circle Licence of MTS is Cancelled and Notices have been sent, if it would have so serious they might have completed Network rollout obligation and not using tata Roaming PRL

I see many RCom CDMA migrating to GSM due to lack of handsets; Be it MTS or RCom, they can hardly entertain the handsets demands.

Actually very few hundred / thousand of the millions of R-CDMA customers are aware of the fantastic imported CDMA handsets at great prices we have available here on forum. Same for MTS-Tata.

So they see only those stupid 1000 buck handsets and naturally are migrating to GSM in droves, which is a great tragedy actually.

Some out of the box thinking is required in co-ordination with Reliance to address this issue and how imported handsets can reach a larger CDMA customer base easily. They may not launch such handsets directly but if some mechanism can be introduced to make it available to a larger customer base.

• Like 2

MTS customer service is worst in maharashtra.

They havnt transfer my MDN from old Mblaze to new (oops refurbished) MBLAZE, which i got from service center.

I had eqnuired and shouted ar them many times from last 2.5 months.

i dont think it's serious about doing business.

Once M& A gets approved, they will merge or sell thir biz. Most probably to VODAFONE INDIA.

Actually very few hundred / thousand of the millions of R-CDMA customers are aware of the fantastic imported CDMA handsets at great prices we have available here on forum. Same for MTS-Tata.

So they see only those stupid 1000 buck handsets and naturally are migrating to GSM in droves, which is a great tragedy actually.

Some out of the box thinking is required in co-ordination with Reliance to address this issue and how imported handsets can reach a larger CDMA customer base easily. They may not launch such handsets directly but if some mechanism can be introduced to make it available to a larger customer base.

Rajan Bhai, though handset options is the No1 reason for current condition of CDMA in India, there are other annoying issues as well...

1) Well, RCdma is my first CDMA operator (long back), but they have cheated me soooo much that I will never use their nw for my primary number, let alone my group of connections...

2) Now TATA_Cdma is ok and NO billing issues, they respect corporate connections, allz well.. But they are NOT AT ALL ready to expand EV-DO coverage (All other 3 has EVDO in Sivakasi, but Tata has NO EVDO in a circle of 300KM radius from my town), NO NEW OMH POSTPAY RUIMS here in TN, degrading network & CC nowadays and switching off their towers in low usage areas, call drops n congestion in CG... In short they are NOT ready to develop their CDMA business.. Even the rep who called me immediately after sending port out req asked me to port to Docomo, he even didn't asked me the reason for leaving Indicom...

3) MTS CC is as lame as old BSNL CC... Also they are NOT AT ALL interested in POSTpaid, even a corp connection... As Hetal ji pointed out, they have no coverage in CG and I have to use the same congested Tata nw there...

4) Reg BSNL_Cdma, I will NOT EVEN COMMENT (no need also, I think)...

I remember the Ad for N8... "IT IS AN AMAZING PIECE OF TECHNOLOGY... HOW ARE YOU GOING TO USE IT????"... CDMA is an amazing technology.. Its the great Indian operators, who are killing it in India...

===================================================================================

Rajan bhai, handset choice is different from handset freedom imho... OMH and ordinary RUIMs give handset freedom (changing handsets easily), but with very little good choices of handset (esp higher end)... Our beloved forum gives good choices of CDMA handsets, but MOST are NOT giving handset freedom (to change handsets at will like OMH and GSM)...

But again here our great Hetal ji is coming to rescue... His recent achievement of using RUIM (and that too with EV-DO of all operators + 3GSM also as a bonus) in foreign handsets is a mind-blowing one imho, which brings both handset choice and freedom (if that extends to more world-edition phones in future--which I hope so)...

=====================================================

But again this cant help me much as handset is NOT reason for me porting out (NO EVDO love for Tata and NO interest by MTS and BSNL, NO faith in RCdma)... It is the fault of our INDIAN CDMA operators as a whole, imho...

You're one tough customer to please. If majority of CDMA customers were even 1/10th as demanding, all indian CDMA operators would have either closed shop by now OR would be ranking as among the best networks globally.

But they all know one thing very well.. Majority of the indian customers do not want to actually pay for world class services but wants one.

Other things being equal.. Most customers go for the cheapest option.. And then keep on complaining..

"If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys" is applicable in most things in life.

When was the last time you saw an ad of TI mobile serivces in TV or print? It was two years ago when they launched Tata Photon Plus on Mobile!

@Rajan i think you got it wrong. It's the other way here.

Many customers are willing to pay for good services. I was using CDMA postpaid BIS plan of 1099 on RCDMA, but the company thought of defrauding me and i cancelled my number.

I also ported out my TATA number coz they were not keen on offering my any kind of good handsets.

In the nutshell CDMA is a good technology and personally i would love to have again a cdma number but i dont think it will be possible in near future.

^ ^ ^

I said majority, not all. The segment willing to pay more is small compared to overall subscriber base. And even then, that's no excuse for CDMA operators to offer sub standard service or not according to what the customer wants.

Edited by rajanmehta

i agree with rajanbhai that CDMA operators should think that if better instruments are available to customers migration may reduce

i agree with rajanbhai that CDMA operators should think that if better instruments are available to customers migration may reduce

absolutely ,1000+

Still im skipping my urge to move from RCDMA to GSM.

Why dont the CDMA is not easy as the GSM in Handsets, Sim cards and activation of EVDO etc?

^^^ the main CDMA market is US and there users simply do not bother about SIM. In India, it is lack of commitment on the part of service providers.

But even after mnp people are unwilling to change operator.

Then why need that much freedom with sim

In USA people dont care about SIM Cards, because there activation process is very simple and online same as like if you ever changed the PIN for your BIS Service, Sprint and Verizon creates a online profile for customer and customer can make changes to his Handsets and Much more by logging into account.