Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Arun

MNP: Last Nail In The Coffin For CDMA?

Is it too difficult for indian cdma operators to offer similar online account management, handset change facilities like sprint & verizon? Ultimately all cdma operators world over use the same qualcomm technology and network equipments.

it is just arrogance on the part of operators. they do not want to give free hand to users. but they don'y realise that such measures reduces their own manpower requirement at stores.

Edited by csmart

You're one tough customer to please. If majority of CDMA customers were even 1/10th as demanding, all indian CDMA operators would have either closed shop by now OR would be ranking as among the best networks globally.

But they all know one thing very well.. Majority of the indian customers do not want to actually pay for world class services but wants one.

Other things being equal.. Most customers go for the cheapest option.. And then keep on complaining..

"If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys" is applicable in most things in life.

Rajan bhai, cool down... I agree I am very hard to please, comparing others... But I don't think I am demanding too much... I demand EV-DO from TATA in my home-town, which is NEITHER remote village NOR low-revenue one (so other 3 operators have EV-DO here, one after another) too... I ask them for less congestion in CG for 2 months.. Even I DON'T demand good handsets from them (as they will NEVER provide).. I am NOT demanding for increased coverage for voice, but WHY are they switching off towers (Few Eg: AelayiramPannai, Tumshar Road in nights, etc...) in areas where there used to be great coverage earlier???

And I am not keen on cheap tariffs.. Actually MTS is much much cheaper than TataIndicom here (with FREE onnet + 0.5p/sec others Local/STD + Roaming Incoming FREE), but I have not selected them as they DON'T have their own network in many places (uses same cr@ppy Tata nw in CG again)...

I know I have to pay more after this porting and I am more than happy to do so to get better services... All I want is HONEST OPERATOR (this may be asking too-much by today's standard -- but I am NOT ready to sacrifice this) having good coverage in towns (and improving) with good data and roaming options...

Rajan saab, I am more than sad to leave CDMA, but I have no other good choice right now... Yes, there are other few issues in CDMA operators apart from high-end handsets and that is in short "THEIR LACK OF INTEREST IN DEVELOPING THEIR OWN CDMA BUSINESS"... (All Dual-Tech operators are investing more and more in their GSM wing only, imho)

• Like 2

^ ^ ^

Arre bhai, only complimented you for being tough and demanding.. :P Rest of the observation was general, not specific to you.

• Like 1

Seven Circle Licence of MTS is Cancelled and Notices have been sent, if it would have so serious they might have completed Network rollout obligation and not using tata Roaming PRL

Seven Circle Licence of MTS is Cancelled and Notices have been sent, if it would have so serious they might have completed Network rollout obligation and not using tata Roaming PRL

@hetal bhai.....no license has been cancelled of any operator as of now...the operators have been given show cause notice....which would further closed on a penalty only....ICR or riding on tata's prl u can say is the best way to work in this revenue stagnant industry.....infact u will see the large operators airtel, vodafone riding on each others network for 3G, Revenue has to be analysed before investment is what the MTS people are thinking...and they are right....

^^^^^ @rajan

Do you think these days any thing is difficult? Online account managemnt with handset can not be difficult coz WW people does that. Its just matter of providing access to outsiders and creating security layer.

It may b true business policy to use other network and create appopriate revenue model. But that need to be disclosed before signing licence. Every thing is said and done, indian governemnt has done excellent job in promoting cellular networks in india. It is stupidity of operators who chose to pay unrealistic money for spectrum. They just ignored fact that indian market is very small in terms of PER CAPITA SIZE. I believe any cmpany violate licence terms must be punished heavily so that they are out of business.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Idea the biggest gainer and RCDMA the biggest looser in MNP

Source:- http://telecomtalk.i...053/#more-83053

subscribers are making reliance pay for being such big cheats , serves them right

• Like 1

Outlook India - Business

http://business.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?277778

...SNIP ....

Analysts are certain that the CDMA subscriber figures have been going down monthly. Besides, according to the CDMA industry association, Association of Unified Service Providers of India (AUSPI), the average revenue per user for CDMA stood at just Rs 68 in March 2011 compared to Rs 105 for GSM users. From the looks of it, CDMA voice telephony does not have much of a future in India.

You are right Arun. It is Feb 2014 now, almost 2.5 years since your OP. And you see all branded companies ha]ve stopped manufacturing CDMA handsets. In 2011, Samsung and LG used to manufacture CDMA handsets but now you see only Indian or Chinese companies. I was avid CDMA user but looking at the availability of CDMA handsets I switched to GSM myself. There is a great article written by someone back in 2006 on Why CDMA will die. you can read it here.

the focus of operators have now shifted to data, where CDMA rules.

What I feel on this is that CDMA is much efficient technology as compared to GSM. Qualcomm the parent of CDMA technology is the main factor for CDMA's failure. Qualcomm takes royalty for sharing its technology source code with handset makers. They charged highest loyalty for handsets in India as compared to 2 per cent in other countries. This discouraged handset makers like Nokia, LG, Samsung to stay in manufacturing CDMA handsets. For GSM handsets companies do not have to pay any royalty to any company. If Qualcomm could have done away with its greed for charging royalty, India could have proved a game changer for the technology, you never know....

What I feel on this is that CDMA is much efficient technology as compared to GSM. Qualcomm the parent of CDMA technology is the main factor for CDMA's failure. Qualcomm takes royalty for sharing its technology source code with handset makers. They charged highest loyalty for handsets in India as compared to 2 per cent in other countries. This discouraged handset makers like Nokia, LG, Samsung to stay in manufacturing CDMA handsets. For GSM handsets companies do not have to pay any royalty to any company. If Qualcomm could have done away with its greed for charging royalty, India could have proved a game changer for the technology, you never know....

Why is HTC then exceptionally bearing this cost and been launching CDMA phones. Even though it's well known that company has not been generating great revenues for some time.

So instead of cost cutting like in many ways they are attempting, it's hard to believe that they are paying extra money to Qualcomm to produce CDMA phones.

All said & done, subscribers who'd had enough of paying a premium for BlackBerry smartphones before MNP, are still shying away from high end official CDMA OMH phones due to a 'premium charged' over their GSM counterparts..

Even if they buy 'officially imported', they're stuck with update issues

thatswhy a staunch loyalist of CDMA now ported to Airtel.

i find no difference in data speed..

the gurus here helped to hold for a long time.

thanks..

I have used MTS RevB and Airtel 4G. And Rev.B is better than 4G (at least the version of 4G that is on offer)

I was a loyal R-CDMA customer from its inception (DAPO days). Finally I ported out the Vodafone in February last year. Why - poor stability (too many call drops) and loss of data connectivity for over four months. Fortunately, I had an htc one (dual CDMA and GSM) from Hetal, so managed to do it without changing my handset. My bill is probably up by about ₹70-100 per month but at least it works. dKaile told me that he had a loss of data on his wife's phone, and had to get the RCom backend to intervene.

I have used MTS RevB and Airtel 4G. And Rev.B is better than 4G (at least the version of 4G that is on offer)

Sam is true for 1x and EVDA Rev.A. I have used both 2G and 3G extensively on Airtel and 2G on Idea on different handsets and in several different states (at least 3 states in India). None of the experiences compare with EVDO of TATA CDMA. It is more stable and smoother than GSM. I have hardly once in a day connection drop in EVDO whereas 3G on AirTel, though giving similar or more speed than EVDO Rev.A but 3G signals drop very frequently adding to the frustration. Even 1x is way better than slow, crappy 1947's 2G. Quality of data on CDMA is light-years ahead comparing to data on GSM. It will change in future though because GSM is more of open technology while CDMA is definitely not.

• Like 1