Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
vb86

Nokia 6225 Review!

I did get in touch with the people at the local WebWorld regarding this "castration" (for lack of a better word!) of the features and power of 6225 by Reliance, but, expectedly, they didn't have a clue about what I was talking about ... then I contacted *333 and the support guy (who was reasonably tech-oriented) did tell me that an application for MMS (click-and-send) for 6225, specifically, was being "thought about" but he had no information regarding when that might be available ... I also asked him what the ****ens could be the reason why Reliance chose not to put RWorld onto this handset and his reply was "there is no RWorld on any phone that comes with radio" ... again, there is no technical justification for this answer, but they just haven't done it ... and I in fact wonder if they ever will ... I guess the characteristic about Reliance that stands out for me (after almost 2 years as their customer) is their insensitive lack of appreciation for customers' problems and opinions ... I think I definitely agree with kshah where he says that their is a certain "arrogance" built into their style of functioning ... which was also typical in the way they handled the accusations (somewhat justified, in my view) of billing fraud by customers last year ...

Regarding the eternal conflict between CDMA and GSM, both are good and just 2 (very very different) ways of doing the same thing ... I don't think there's anything secretive about CDMA technology as such, it is open-standards and very well documented and a world-wide forum of companies exists that takes care of the standards and technology development ... I guess the only thing about CDMA that makes it somewhat more centralized than GSM might be the lack of a SIM card that you can detach from an existing phone and attach to a new phone without bothering to even inform your provider and still maintaing the same connection / number / etc ... with CDMA, the identification lies in the handset (and corresponding records with the provider's database) itself and there is no SIM card which means we have to go through a "handset change card" kind of process if we want to upgrade the handset and so necessarily need to involve the provider ...

But as far as the question about "which is better / more powerful / high speed / etc" goes, both are equal in my view - both have a technology and standards track ... both can support 3G services ... so, the only question that one needs to answer when choosing between the 2 when going for a mobile connection is this - "which among CDMA or GSM is supported better and has a faster network / better coverage in the area I live?" ... so you also need to factor in the services and support and commitment of the particular providers ... 2 years back I went for Reliance (CDMA) because - 1. They were cheaper upfront (I was naive and didn't factor in the hidden costs and 3-year funda) and more importantly, 2. They already had a good infrastructure laid as opposed to the GSM providers, who, at that time, didn't give those kind of services or speed or quality.

But much water has flowed down the Ganges since then and Reliance needs to make itself more technologically adept and updated if it wants to survive with almost all the GSM providers also close to unleashing full 3G services in India ... because right Reliance are just a bunch of businessmen who only know how to refine oil and petroleum and only jumped onto the technology bandwagon just in time to cash-in on the boom in the Indian market ...

Technologically CDMA is definately superior than GSM atleast till GPRS and EDGE. and at par when W-CDMA is employed but not in comparision with EVDO in CDMA. But again W-CDMA is distant dream for GSM and even if implemented cost of service and handset will be too high. Another important aspect is CDMA data is cheaper than GSM data. It is said that eventually CDMA is going to be the technology as back bone in future.

Secretive technology means in CDMA user has little or no control over feature he wants to use. Even hand set change is in control of service provider. In GSM IMEI like ESN in CDMA is registered in system. RUIM hand sets are ESN neutral (they have ESN but not transmitted, it uses RUIM serial) too but CDMA operators are yet to free themselves from psyche of total control. US regulations are different, there mobile device serial need to be attached to a MDN but that is not the regulation elsewhere in the world.

About business, if you look at big business houses they have diversed business. Thats not a bad concept but top management need to be responsible and sensitive.

I have a newbie question,

If "by mistake" reliance later decides to put RWorld in 6225, is there an easy way for an existing 6225 user to enable this feature on 6225 (like a simple software upgrade or something like that)?

--

Cheers

Sas

If "by mistake" reliance later decides to put RWorld in 6225, is there an easy way for an existing 6225 user to enable this feature on 6225 (like a simple software upgrade or something like that)?

27582[/snapback]

Maybe Yes (By Mistake) :grin: Rem that RIM has complete control over all its handsets. And an upgrade or anything can enable/disable certain features.

Well, I'm not so sure about the "superiority" of CDMA compared to GSM ... if you mean to say that GPRS and EDGE are _different_ from GSM, then obviously GSM wouldn;t even be close to giving the kinds of services we get from Reliance's flavour of CDMA (1x), but that's because "GSM" as a "technology" refers only to the 2G level of that particular standards track - in that case, a comparison would only be fair between it and cdmaOne (the 2G level in the CDMA world) or AMPS (the CDMA-track analog 1G technology used more than a decade back) rather than CDMA1x or 1xEV which are 3G ... but then, GPRS (2.5G) and EDGE (perhaps 2.75G) are very much the _part_ of the "GSM standards and technology track" itself and I really feel there isn't much to choose between the CDMA and GSM "tracks" ... so it more or less degenerates the larger argument between the GSM and CDMA "technology tracks" into a pettier and smaller argument between particular levels of these standards tracks ... in any case if CDMA really had it such a hands-down "superiority" over GSM, after all these decades of intense rivalrly, why would GSM be introduced into the American market which has been CDMA all along (the GSM and CDMA battles is just one of those US vs Europe commercial rivalries in my opinion) ... and I'm not even sure any clear "winner" would ever emerge considering the many other such (US vs Europe) examples in history ... so IMO the end decision really just needs to be taken considering the particular strengths and weaknesses of the specific service providers in one country or the other and then make whether you wanna go with the specific GSM or CDMA service provider ... and as I meant from my post, I'm not so sure Reliance is doing justice to CDMA by giving the kinds of services it is dishing out in India, what with disabling features and what not ...

Regarding Reliance diversifying, that's exactly what I meant ... that they just jumped onto this market just to diversify their business and make more money ... and not because they knew anything special about the kinds of technology and services that are in this industry ... I mean the technological incompetence of Reliance shows through so easily in their WebWorlds itself ... those people there know only how to collect bills and issue receipts ... and even Reliance's CC's tech ineptitude is obvious in the way they answered my query as to why 6225 doesn't support RWorld (the support guy said "We don't put RWorld on any handset that comes with radio") ... so what I'm saying is that to survive, merely diversifying won't do enough, you also need to learn something about the industry you're entering, especially if it's the tech industry.

But coming back to the original topic of discussion, I did send a mail to the chairman's office regarding when Reliance plans to put Rworld / MMS on 6225 ... let's see what they say ..

Comparatiovely my dad is using orange and what i can find it that orange is deinfately costlier but at the same time treats customers with pride and gives all the services which r necessary and no binding.

Dis advantages in Relaince India Mobile :-

1. No call tranfer to any number other then relaince.

2. Handset varitey a lot lesser - I want 6600

3. Internet data plan calucaltion of usage not available.

4. Rwolrd not available on many handsets.

5. Uploding / Downloading of phone book number not on all handsets.

6. Corporate Customer cant check phone bills by R World.

7. Changes such as change in intercircle / intra circle definaltion , tata not included as cdma for dapo not informed to customers.

8. Handset locked to only Relaince use and not allowed for Garuda or Tata.

9. Chairmans office not answering me, Customer Care useless. Double talktime offer for rim prepaid i saw on site and this fourm, yesterday i talked to help line and they said they dont know anything

any idea whether R-World has been incorporated in Nokia6225 by now? I've heard that for using R-World on Nokia Phones, u need to Press "0" for like 3 secs! Is that true?

Is it possible to send MMS with the clicked pictures from this phone? Is the data cable connectivity of this phone good enuf? Possible to transfer pics to PC? I've read abt IR on this thread. But for that do we need a device attached to the PC for transferring via IR?

The inherent prob wid 6130 is tht u can assign only 25 pics from the gallery to Caller IDs. hence every next pic has to be immediately transfered to the PC. Whats the case wid 6225?

does excessive use of FM thru the day drain the battery faster?

Dealers in Mumbai are giving away this phone in 8k only! Is the DataCable and IR device with the box in 6225? Can some1 help me decide on this soon?

yes, 6225 enters into browser mode when 0 key is pressed for a while but it is not gonfigured for IP and serer address, so it can not connect. It has wap browser so it is far different than browsers in other r world enabled phones, they are java browsers. 6225 is java as well as brew enabled but not configured by reliance. Else phone is really good, good pc sync software, reasonablly good photos (75% quality of 7220), you can upload java games and applications (atleast upto 100 as total on board memory is 3 MB. (Which is shared between camara, java games and applicationa)

Pressing 0 key lets u enter in the browser mode.

Its used by all Nokia mobiles (GSM as well), which r GPRS enabled.

In Reliance authenticated Nokia handsets, if the correct information regarding the IP address and others is entered in the handset, then may be we can use R-World in our handset!

Can some1 using the fone answer all the queries at one go? And have there been any s/w upgrades avl for this phone as well from the nokia ASC?

Chirag, answers to your querries:

1. Browser is not enabled by default, it has to be enabled using system commands.

2. MMS too is not enabled, same as above, but due to lack of server information both of these can not be used.

3. Data connectivity is typically nokia, tricky if cable is not original, elspecially if driver is not right. Connectivity is far stable than any other phone. You can upload java games, images to phone, certian java applications which is really useful feature.

4. FM radio drains battery in a day, else it last 2 days / 120 mins talk time.

5. I have no knowledge of photo IDS as never tried.

use diego

There are menus which can be enabled:

1. Multimedia messaging

2. Minibrowser messages (Similar to one in other RIM phones)

3. Java Application download and execution from java webs.

4, Mini browser (WAP browsers)

5. Show number of unread messages in menu.

6. where you want acknowledgenment receipt (Means on screen or in Inbox)

and many many more useful features. However I am still unable to configure MMS or minibrowser.

Edited by kshah

What is diego?? Is it a S/W or a code?? Can you give some more details about it?? Is it also useful for 6585???

What is diego?? Is it a S/W or a code?? Can you give some more details about it?? Is it also useful for 6585???

32399[/snapback]

Its a software, but very confusing to use, try it if at all u in warranty.

what do you mean by diego? are we supposed to type diego using the keypad and the phone will activate the mms menu or what? pl .explain sir. Awaiting your reply. if anybody else who has activated the mms feature pl. reply.

thanks.

sorry for the trouble.

regards,

mitul

Its a software, but very confusing to use, try it if at all u in warranty.

32409[/snapback]

Can you throw some more light on it?? Ok & any idea whether it will work on Nokia 6585 as well...

Diego is a s/w for Nokia CDMA sets.

Its not a code, its a computer s/w.

Use at ur own risk cauz u can change service parameters also with this s/w.

Ok gotcha....but how, from where, at what cost you can d/l it to the pc & then to your cell??

And ofcourse what will be the side effects... :)

Ok gotcha....but how, from where, at what cost you can d/l it to the pc & then to your cell??

I'm again telling its not an application to be installed in Nokia CDMA sets.

Its a PC software to detect & make modifications & more in ur Nokia sets.

U can d/l the full version of diego from the following link:

D/L Diego

After downloading the zip file, Extract it & install the s/w but Don't restart when it ask for restarting ur pc.

Read the read this first.txt file and follow the procedure.

Hey guys hold on to use this software, one of my friend ****ed his 6585 using diego now ASC not taking responsiblity, wait fr some days ill be switching to 6225, will check all the possiblities and let u guys know about it. by the time download applications for (symbian 40 series) 6225 and 6585 and upload and enjoy, well there is still loads of possiblities without MMS service and all. like u can U/L good games and tones and application like remote and movie players.

Google it.

Vishal, please share your experiences when you changed the settings and stuff.

Sorry!

I don't hv any Nokia CDMA set.

So I can't check it.

Hey guys hold on to use this software, one of my friend ****ed his 6585 using diego now ASC not taking responsiblity

32525[/snapback]

Huh...thanks I was just planning to download that....that would have been suicidal wouldn't it....Thanks Vishal & munnamobile.. :P

I dont understand how diego can scr**** phone. First read phone and take back up of what settings are. Then do what ever you want to do. If need be rewrite original settings. does any one knows what are native MMS settings in LG hand sets?