Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
anshu_s09

Lifetime Validity Will Be Lost In 20 Days

Source: Bhaskar News | Last Updated 17:03(11/08/11

If a mobile number does not have any outgoing or incoming calls for more than twenty days, the services to the number will be terminated and the number can be re-allotted, according to the TRAI rule. If you think buying a lifetime mobile connection actually gives you as much of a lifetime, think again. According to new rules from Telecom Regulations Authority of India (TRAI) the services to your number with lifetime validity can be terminated within twenty days.

The rule allowed a period of 180 days before the services were terminated for non-use. Either a recharge or an incoming or outgoing call within 180 days allowed the customers to keep their services intact. Later in 2010, the period was reduced to 90 days.

No prior public notice for the new rule

TRAI had introduced the new rule three months ago but there has been no public notice regarding the new rule till date. Even the service provider companies have failed to inform their customers.

TRAI clarifies its stand

Public Relations Officer (PRO) of TRAI Yogendra Srivastava said people are using more than one SIM card and several of these SIM cards remain unused. He further said the TRAI decided to change rules to ensure that these SIM cards are not misused. TRAI will certainly publicise the new rules so that the customers do not face any problems, he added.

Customers, companies suffer

Meanwhile, the companies and customers have a list of complaints against the new rule that has been introduced without any prior notice. A distributor of Kasturi Telecom Priyanka Agrawal said the customers are coming with complaints due to this cancellation of number in 20 days. The service provider companies are not better off.

Senior officials with a service provider said the new rule is causing huge losses to the customer base of the companies. They further said the customers hold the company guilty for the deactivation of their numbers while we do not have any choice but to follow TRAI rules.

Source:- http://daily.bhaskar.com/article/MP-BHO-a-validity-of-a-lifetime-sim-can-last-for-mere-20-days-2347403.html

Will it be????

then what will happen to the sim cards from BSNL and MTNL which are used for data only and recharged with 6 month unlimited plan ?

or any other operator sim with data use only ?

TRAI going mad!!! :Equivocado: :Equivocado:

this is going to make life difficult for users

20 days is too short a period

jasmin shah

What is this? TRAI has taken anti consumer approach, how would SIM cards be misused if people are not using them anyway, this is clear misleading of the end user by limiting validity. The users when they had taken the SIM would have had information from the operator telling them when the validity would expire. That information should be treated as binding and correct.

If sim is active anyway it can be idle for 20days so no worry I think, getting a connection is a procedure, but it is not so even my friends have six to seven sim cards 1 in each network... this should not be.. spoiling the resources if it is more is not correct. IMHO

Correct if I am wrong!!!

We do not have a number pool shortage yet, your point is correct but with a prepaid driven, low ARPU market like ours this move only smacks of a tactic of the operators to make sure customers are more active. My point is, when these validity schemes were introduced, they had clear validity defined. But without notifying customer if that validity is changed it is breach of contract. It is wrong.

20 days is too short but directive are certainly long awaited, pre paid connection must have validity as long as post paid. I.e. 30 - 45 days. Upon inactivity or zero spending it must be disconnected. Rules must be changed as they learn new things.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Yes, 30-45 days are okay. The number should be terminated. But 20 days is so short, Imagine you went to some place with family in summer vacation for 15-20 days by keeping your phone switched off at home, and your number gets terminated.

The question is what is meant by inactive - does it mean no recharge or does it mean no usage.

There is already requirement to recharge once in certain amount of time else the number gets deactivated.

But here the rule says

If a mobile number does not have any outgoing or incoming calls for more than twenty days, the services to the number will be terminated and the number can be re-allotted

If consumer recharges but does not make calls then how can it be deactivated. That is clear breach of contract and wrong.

The basics for such schemes were - 1) user must recharge every n months, 2) scheme would have validity end date. If a customer is fulfilling 1)then operator must fulfil 2).

I understand the issue with users hoarding numbers but that is no reason to deactivate numbers based on usage. This is wrong moreover the customer is not being informed.

We do not have a number pool shortage yet, your point is correct but with a prepaid driven, low ARPU market like ours this move only smacks of a tactic of the operators to make sure customers are more active. My point is, when these validity schemes were introduced, they had clear validity defined. But without notifying customer if that validity is changed it is breach of contract. It is wrong.

My brother... we are in India no rules here... Off topic " Just now gone thru all news on Indian black money " WoW... you said here without notify... where? in which? how? we are notified by us properly.. we are one of the richest country... Really these operators are really sick... only politicians are... F***ers

To add, the issue is not about timeframe. The issue is, how can operator/regulator dictate what I need to do with my phone? If I am recharging i.e. fulfiling my part of the contract, the operator/regulator cannot deactivate my number because they have no right to make me use my number.

Might be I am unable to explain.

Consider I have postpaid number. I pay my rental according to contract but do not use. The operator/regulator cannot deactivate the number because of non usage right? So how can they in this?

what would happen if a customer makes one call to a toll-free no. every 15 days? does that count?

My brother... we are in India no rules here... Off topic " Just now gone thru all news on Indian black money " WoW... you said here without notify... where? in which? how? we are notified by us properly.. we are one of the richest country... Really these operators are really sick... only politicians are... F***ers

I was referring to the point mentioned in OP which says operator/TRAI will not notify the customer that number is being deactivated.

This suc*s :angry: 20 days is too short a period.

Has Anybody Faced the Same yet

:previous:

Anything less than 90 days is :ranting::mad44:

Now I have one postpaid number unused for many months (still paying Rs99/month as rent) as the number is for my sister when she comes here once or twice a year (for summer holidays and festivals) from her home in Bangalore... I am paying my bills regularly... Can they deactivate that number???? RUBBISH policy of TRAI...

Absolutely ridiculous rule. What can be the rationale behind this? The reasons they have stated are rubbish. TRAI is clearly making anti-consumer laws. mad.gif Twenty days is way too short.

Can someone post to an official link to TRAI's website rather than a newspaper's.

This is a pathetic news. Dont know what's the exact reason behind this move by TRAI. 90 days is reasonable and applicable to all.

Edited by srijaga_cbe

many people use two sim card

One is for their home circle and other for CIRCLE where they often visit.

What will happen to them, if they didnt visit other circle?

What will happen if they come back after 20 days to home circle?

BASELESS RULE GIVEN BY TRAI