Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
suvirajshetty

Will Reliance shut down CDMA voice services?

The way they are going Rcom will shut period.

if rcdma goes down ..it will provide major boost to tata as well as mts....tata still has a clear policy of one network at a place simply put whr it has cdma it dosent has much coverage on gsm and vice versa...so still rcdma rooting up will provide a major boost to both these networks...

And IF they indeed shut down CDMA network, we people will be the worst hit. Just imagine our big ticket Evos, Epics and Droids turned into paperweight or at the best fancy ipods overnight.

What a nightmare!

:previous:

Dear friend Karthik, I mean they will terminate their CDMA business and this will not mean that service will be terminated. Remember the old days of Kerala, Escotel sold it's GSM service to Idea, BPL mobile sold their service to Hutch, a few months later Hutch sold the service to Vodafone. No harm happened to any customer except their service provider changed.

I don't think CDMA voice would be shut down any time in the near future. Those who prefer quality will stay with CDMA. From what I guess, Reliance doesn't want to lose customers who prefer GSM for some reason (iPad, iPhone, BlackBerry-GSM, etc).

With the current price which Reliance has paid for aquiring 3G (GSM) spectrum, they won't be able to meet this cost in next 10 years from the current quality of acquisition of RGSM. The acquisition of CDMA may be small in number vis a vis GSM acquisition but the revene share is almost equivalent or more of CDMA. Country wide, the major REC (revenue earning customers) of Reliance are on CDMA who have not left the network even after MNP due to the network stability of CDMA over GSM.

+ EVDO is one thing which 3G dongle is not able to beat (again network stability of CDMA over GSM)

Forget it Reliance will never shut down their CDMA business.

RCDMA used to one of the best mobile network in India.

The curse for RCDMA network is that they had to temper with RCDMA towers to accomodate GSM equipment there.

GSM towers can support CDMA and vice-versa (with signal converter). Our office building first had Airtel tower for in-building-coverage. Recently Rcom tied up with Airtel to share same tower. When we told our recent past problems with RCDMA, site engineers said that RCDMA is still covering India like no other network but their choice of equipment and maintainence is big problem.

Recently their was new in many newspapers that Rcom is also thinking of giving complete network care contract to ones like Ericsson, nokia etc Just like Airtel doing for last many years. So may be our problems are resolved sooner than later.

this may be off topic.. but for the first time i saw a RCDMA engineer came for checking network quality in my office and home. this was after numerous complain via mail and to 198... in fact they found little problem in my office and told me that they have twiked certain settings in their nearby site. will again follow up with me in few days. so it appears that they are still serious about CDMA

^ That is good news

Reliance is just trying to improve their GSM network..eventually when their GSM network will be robost they will migrate all their CDMA subscriber to their GSM network by offering good and innovative plans and Handset..Much like what Australian network provider Telstra did with their CDMA subscribers.

All the free cdma spectrum will be used to provide EVDO B or EVDO advanced to provide better wireless broadband experience to custumers.

Edited by suvirajshetty

May be at ur place you have issues with CDMA

But here In WB we prefer CDMA over GSM Network.

Can anybody tell me how many towers reliance as added for CDMA since last 2 years...the answer in none.. there are still some grey areas in india which need to be covered by RDCMA..but they are not covering it..

for e.g i have been to harihareshwar in Maharashtra..every other operator has network over there but RCDMA no network for kilometers around harihareshwar and reliance is certainly a old operator should have covered all areas by now.

Edited by suvirajshetty

Indeed reliance CDMA is not adding any new coverage areas. but that is purely, because they have lost business sense. I am pretty happy with the stability of the CDMA network.

voice calls should not stop on reliance cdma! the voice quality is the supermost of all the networks i have used in gsm! its like speaking on a landline!

Gsm is not half good!

Correct

Major Reason people using CDMA is for Voice Quality...

^ I doubt your reasoning. the most users of RCDMA are low income group using low priced handset. this has been mentioned by many. in that case, they do not depend on clarity but economics. RCDMA is preferred due to their cheap calling rates (now you may argue otherwise, but its still cheap) compare to GSM counter parts and you do not move to other service provider while roaming.

Edited by csmart

Yes ur point is right that R COM is cheap when it comes to roaming & sms charges,

Otherwise for Local Call all operators are most probably same

RCDMA is a gainer where network connectivity is concerned. When travelling, cdma cellsite gives a wider beam comparing GSM & UMTS signals. Call is clear and uninterrupted. Downside is Reliance not interested in incentive and intensive customer retaining. People do change Sprint and Verizon handsets, upgrade via ota or thru cc. If Sprint, MetroPCS, Alltel can handle handset upgradation process, then why can't Reliance? They don't know what's an esn or meid. They don't know to load prl. They cannot implant a new RSN before 24 hours. They are naive and ignorant. However, they have a niche to cater to traders and masses. LTE could be a distant dream. CDMA services should never shut down in our country.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Cdma will never shut down , atmost what they can do is sell network or lease to other foreign investor or mvno

CDMA will be shut down ...the reason why reliance has started GSM..Reliance didnt start GSM just to corner some spectrum.

why would on earth a operator opt for dual network,...especially reliance when they were doing well with CDMA and moreover CDMA was gaining some kind of traction due to it wide network coverage and stability.

Going forward reliance will surrender some CDMA spectrum and will acquire GSM spectrum.

Moreover they launched tab on their GSM 3G network..logically they should have launched with EVDO network which is present in 800 cities and supported by pan india 1x network. They are not interested in bringing high-end CDMA phone to their network like MTS. Such moves by reliance is sure shot indication of shifting from CDMA to GSM service provider.

Edited by suvirajshetty

reliance is not shutting down . Customers are not opting CDMA and quitting it this thing forcing reliance to shut down CDMA Service

Recent extra/special offers have all been in Reliance GSM

For example in TN

1.Rs.35 voucher (Pre-paid) - Which provides all local calls at 30p is valid for 30 days in CDMA and 90 days in GSM

2.Rs.49 voucher (Pre-paid) - provides unlimited free calls to all local Reliance mobile valid for 30 days. This voucher is only for RGSM

3.Post-paid 299 Simple plan has also been launched only in RGSM

So clearly they are interested in promoting only RGSM. RCDMA is now unattended child. It is such a pity that they are not able to exploit the benefits of RCDMA network coverage. If they do not maintain CDMA properly and if they keep on giving only special offers in GSM, then we all will be forced to exit our beloved RCDMA.

Edited by pasumark

I hope also RCDMA is not in Rcom's fav. Prepaid top ups are not available in many areas in Coimbatore. You cant get RCDMA top up in most of the mobile shops and prepaid sales shops where all other GSM coupons are available. You should go to Webworld or you have to find the very few special shops who have with RCDMA recharges. Its not easy to get the voucher in all areas.

In the user part i have more than 50 friends/business in the rcdma network few years back. Now i have only 5-6 friends and on this few i have only one rcdma friend to call frequent. :(

If the network/voice clarity of RGSM was atleast as good as Docomo or Uninor, RCom might have closed its CDMA business long ago... But since it is even worse than 2G of BSNL, then closing their CDMA division is NOT an option for them, even if they are NOT interested in investing more in CDMA Business...