Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
joshm

Buying a new car? Discuss here!

no feedback or user data would sufice your needs for a car then others.Best is to go to the nearest dealer and test drive both the vehicles, petrol and diesel.Why am i saying this is ritz might be comfortable for me but not necessary for you and your needs as well. See which one suits your driving style, your pocket and then decide.Ritz is no doubt a wonderful car from maruti just its bottom was not accepted by many.Also its a tall boy hatch so in and out would be easy for elders.It gives 12+ FE to my friend with full A/c in delhi.Also its a good highway runner as well.Maruti's new K12 engine is quite peppy and fun to drive with good maruti *** across nation.

You said your monthly run is aprox 1500kms which annually gets to 18K which definately suits diesel engine.DDiS from maruti is very comfortable with turbo spool coming around 2K mark and once you get used to that turbo push you would love that feel.Diesel would give you 18kmpl in city driven conditions and around 20+ on highways.If you can stretch your budget go for diesel ritz, Ldi or Vdi which is comfortable for your pocket.

One thing i would like to share is that Filling up petrol in car pinches alot now a days so its better to go for a diesel :) 1500 mein full tank ho jaata hai yaar :D hehehe

If anyone is considering a diesel engine today just for the fuel cost saving part, there should be a serious rethink now due to..

• Firstly whether it really makes sense to pay extra based on Dhirajbhai's simple formula. If it's going to take 5 years to recover extra cost, by that time, you may be already in for buying a new car.
  • Secondly and more seriously, there are growing indications that diesel subsidy may not remain for very long atleast for private cars. Govt is considering a mechanism to charge private cars market price for diesel. This looks more believable going by the continuous increases in coocking gas prices and slow but sure abolition of subsidy.

So practically don't attach such a critical value to diesel engine fuel saving in your buying decision. Other factors should be given more weightage and if diesel engine is part of the package, so be it.

If other fuel options like CNG or LPG is considered, it's best to go for a model with manufacturer/factory fitted kits than aftermarket to avoid warranty/compatibility/tune up hassles and lower resale value.

How about the Liva or the about to be introduced Brio. The Japs give you far more peace of mind, and are surprisingly easy on the pocket to maintain. By all accounts the maintenance of a higher end car like the Civic is about the same or even lower than a mid ranger like the Accent!

1—2 lac extra? Ritz diesel? I don't think so.

Besides swift LDI used to be better than LXI in terms of frills and accessories. I don't know if it is the same for Ritz or not.

Simple formula to purchase diesel car -

If you drive more than 10-15K km's in a year then you will recover the extra cost paid for the diesel engine (approx 1-2L) in approx 5-7 years. Otherwise it is best to stick to petrol if you drive less than 10K kms in year.

Diesel engine technology today, is at par with petrol engines.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

May be the ts has done the math. So I may be wrong.

When I bought my car the difference between swift vxi and vdi was 63k. There was no zdi then.

Edited by tanveer

well the price of Ritz LXi after discount and all ( the best price that i squeezed ) is 426888 and the LDI costs exactly 540165 so you can see that its around 1L13 thousand and thats huge .

As DK just said the cost recovery ( after taking into consideration the maintenance , extra initial payment , ( loan interest if any ) , the cost gets even only after 4 years PROVIDED your monthly run is around 1200 or 1300KM .

also i test drove the LDI variant i think it was vdi : and there was way too much noise and the pickup wasnt good ( may be the reason was that it had alreday done 21k km )

then the executive showed me a brand new LXI , it was smooth no noise whatsoever and characteristic swift like awesome pickup :) ( i am sure all u know that RITZ and swift petrol until the launch of new swift were running on same engine )

so ULTIMATELY i have decided to go for LXI , ( although somewhere i still feel i should choose something more pocket friendly car ) as u cant get everything :P:P

i think if later i ll feel that its beginning to be a costly affair i ll get it fitted with a company CNG kit.

what say folks ????

Your choice. If you like it, go for it. Diesel cars take a little time getting used to. The lack of pickup that you mentioned is what is called as turbo lag. That is seen till the car reaches 2000 revs. After that the turbo kicks in and the car zips through. Once you get used to this you will love the power a diesel engine can deliver.

Personally speaking, I would have gone for ldi, but if your budget is tight, go for lxi.

driving ritz is real pleasure. it is better than swift. the placement of gear stick makes lot of difference. i feel more comfortable driving Ritz because of this. I never felt that power lag on diesel engines. however you may find difference initially but i will say its more psychological. there is no issue of noise either. those days are gone when you can realise approaching diesel car from kilometers away.

as others suggested, try it out wiht open mind. dont think you are driving a diesel car. there is no much maintenance for diesel cars. only you have to get it serviced as instructed and from good dealer.

i think diesel should be economical at current market prices.

you drive 1300 to 1500 per month. lets assume 1200 km.

petrol gives avg of 10kmpl. so monthly cost 120 Litres x 63 = 7,560

diesel gives avg 15kmpl. monthly cost 80 Litres x 43 = 3,440

savings = 7,560 - 3,440 =4,120

More conservative, consider you get only 10kmpl on diesel, then also you save about 2400 per month. This is what i feel. You can have your own calculations.

The above mileage general what you get on road. the co may show higher economy (petrol -17 and diesel -24, as per Maruti site).

the diesel and petrol rates are taken from http://www.delhipetrolprices.com/

i would love to have opinions on calculations given by csmart, I think in todays time the gap in prices of petrol and diesel has broaden and previous calculation are no more relevant, so he seems right to some extent.

But we should also consider extra maintenance for diesel engine.

And Rajan bhai I think the govt has drooped the plan of dual pricing for diesel because it will furthrr lead to more complications (like black marketing)

@amitsonu there is no high maintenance for diesel engines. these are myths and diesel engines are as good as petrol. there is no much difference in maintenance of the engines. i am using diesel cars.

@csmart thanks

So if we look at a 5 year horizon the following calculation is coming out

Total savings (based on csmart method) = 4120*60 = 247200

Extra amount paid for diesel version (assumption) = -125000

interest paid on 125000 (if loan taken) @14% = - 47499

Total = 74701

My favorite brand now with Diesel engines in it's small cars. Dont go by little under powered figures, in real life, Toyota's are the most practical and durable cars with ARAI figure of 23.59 kpl for both the Liva hatch and Etios sedan -

http://www.bsmotorin...php?autono=3970

Toyota Etios & Liva Get 68 BHP Diesel Engines

http://ow.ly/i/gQID

Edited by dkaile

well i am using a wagonR for 4 yrs now in mumbai getting a milage of 14 w/o ac & 12-13 with ac with no complaints so far but the pick up is surely lower than swift & ritz

k bought the RITZ LXI silky silver today after doing eniough calculations

the car is a real treat to drive really :)

got awesome price ) just a shade below wagon R vxi ;P

Thanks a bunch to all for chipping in with comments , observations and suggestions.

regards

@ MODS : Pl lock it

Congratulations

• Like 1

Congratulations!!!

Have a Safe ride and great driving experience with the Ritz.

Good Luck.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

lolz Arun; you should start a car and bike forum/sub-forum and make me moderator; We will give TeamBHP a run for its money...

Edited by dkaile
  • Like 3

lolz Arun; you should start a car and bike forum/sub-forum and make me moderator; We will give TeamBHP a run for its money...

You start the same will join in ...

• Like 1

well i guess it ll be a great option , this new automobile section of RIM web ;)

LOL i have been waiting for my account to be activated since last 10 days at Team-BHP :P

anyways , i have driven like 200 odd KMs , and the experience has been just outstanding , such a comfortable ride , everything is just awesome with the RITZ :)

as i am way too sensitive towards noise ( which incidently played a major role apart from cost factor ) thats why i chose the PETROL variant :)

will get automatic central locking done from MSSD :) in a day or two :)

the only drawback that i can think of is small REAR glass which doesnt give much field of vision thru the mirror.

regards

MODS PL LOCK IT , i am done THANKS TO ALL again :)

god bless

LOL i have been waiting for my account to be activated since last 10 days at Team-BHP :P

Keep on trying. It took even as knowledgeable person as Dhirajbhai few years before his membership was approved at Team-BHP 2-3 months back.

MODS PL LOCK IT , i am done THANKS TO ALL again :)

Friend, this is not a Buy/Sell topic. So no need of locking. You have done it but there may be other members in future who want to do it. :)

• Like 1

Congrats joshm :) and for your rear view its better to plugin a big sized rear mirror from a car beauty shop near by you it will help u out :) I have solved same problem fixing a big rear view mirror....

• Like 1

Okay friends, can we change the topic title of this thread to "Car Buying Advice" or something better ?..... This way any querry regarding purchase of Cars can be posted here in the future. What say ?