Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
joshm

Buying a new car? Discuss here!

@dkaile what you say is true. but my family members are very adamant. they only want diesel cars and no petrol as they look only at price difference between the 2 fuels. lets see what happens.

September 2011 Car Sales Figures here - http://www.team-bhp....s-analysis.html

Highlights

- 7000 Hundai Eons distributed to dealers without a single piece sold till now; To be priced below 3L; Bestseller in the making??

- Mahindra Bolero selling nearing 10000 units

- Alto at the year's lowest and still at 21K units

- XUV 500 - 500 units at dealers (booking more than 10K units; Capacity 2K units/month); Another Bestseller?

- Toyota Fortuner sells more than Corolla once again and at 1078 units

- Tata Indica/Vista touches 10K units first time this year; Nano slumps at 2K units; Safari sales DOUBLE at 1937 units (Everyone's going SUV!!!)

- Renauly Fluence slumps to 100 units; Kizashi 14 units, Vitara 1 unit LOLZ; CRV 17 units / Civic 117 / Accord 137 (ask Honda how to kill a good brand - overprice it)

- Etios sisters sell 6000 units

- Beat beats Figo (due to diesel), both around 5K units; Endeavour 281

- Honda City slumps to 3.7K units even after price cuts (Due to No diesels)

- Hyundai i20 at nearly 7K units; Verna at 5K; Santa Fe 198

- Alarm bells at Skoda; All sales down; Yeti just 50 LOLZ; Superb 147; Laura less than 300 first time this year. DSG Failures anyone, that I was talking about...

Edited by dkaile

OK, any comments on POLO Diesel(Trendline), Planning to buy one. Almost finalised Ritz Diesel, but dropped due to resistance from Kids on looks front. @Dkaile & Ksshah, would love your feedback. Also, suggestions on ICE package (budget around 20K)

Edited by nawalsingal

^

add some moolahs and buy the skirting and spoiler as well.

@ 8L, I think its better to add another 2L and buy a Vento rather.

Reasons:

1st. Boot Space

2nd. 3 Cylinder vs 4 Cylinder = Less Noise and Smooth Driving

3rd. I find Polo's Clutch hard over Vento's

4th. Definitely looks richer.

5th. Feels Heavier and Gripping on Road is Better, etc.

^

add some moolahs and buy the skirting and spoiler as well.

@ 8L, I think its better to add another 2L and buy a Vento rather.

Reasons:

1st. Boot Space

2nd. 3 Cylinder vs 4 Cylinder = Less Noise and Smooth Driving

3rd. I find Polo's Clutch hard over Vento's

4th. Definitely looks richer.

5th. Feels Heavier and Gripping on Road is Better, etc.

@Sumeet, Thanks for suggestion, but I've already stretched my budget from around 5 L to 6.5 lacs, so no possibility of stretching it further & since i'll be using the car mostly as single occupant, boot space is not big concern. Only thing to add is A decent music system. Suggestion on that is most welcome.

I am not aware about polo but have driven vento for about 200 kms while my trip to abu. Since polo aand vento share same platform both must have many similarity.

Vento suspensions are very very soft so bottoms very frequently which is probably very annoying to many. Drive is very smooth and pick up is some what better than etios and manza and indica vista.

Braking is excellent and vento rolls very less compare to many other similar sized car. Cabin is quitest amongst its segment.

German (can read european)car spares are notoriously expensive so do some research.best way to know spare price is availability to extended warranty and cost of it per lakh (price vise) and compare it with same segment car. Coz insurance premiums are based on base price, cost of spares and reliability.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

OK, any comments on POLO Diesel(Trendline), Planning to buy one. Almost finalised Ritz Diesel, but dropped due to resistance from Kids on looks front. @Dkaile & Ksshah, would love your feedback. Also, suggestions on ICE package (budget around 20K)

Polo in it's diesel avatar is fantastic solid car. Dont go for the petrol as it hardly give a FE of 7~8 in the city. Parts are costly but should not trouble you for the first 4-5 years. They are giving free Navigation based touchscreen system with the Vento and a standalone GPS system with the Polo. You can bargain them to fit you the Navigation based Touchscreen ICE from the Vento into your Polo. Overall I don't see you can go wrong with a Polo Diesel. It's much superior to the Ritz. I myself am considering a VW for the first time in it's Jetta avatar.

Edit: Polo diesel trendline is about 6.4L on road and comfortline is 7.1L.

Edited by dkaile

Polo in it's diesel avatar is fantastic solid car. Dont go for the petrol as it hardly give a FE of 7~8 in the city. Parts are costly but should not trouble you for the first 4-5 years. They are giving free Navigation based touchscreen system with the Vento and a standalone GPS system with the Polo. You can bargain them to fit you the Navigation based Touchscreen ICE from the Vento into your Polo. Overall I don't see you can go wrong with a Polo Diesel. It's much superior to the Ritz. I myself am considering a VW for the first time in it's Jetta avatar.

Edit: Polo diesel trendline is about 6.4L on road and comfortline is 7.1L.

@dkaile & Kshah, thanks for your valuable inputs. I agree that their aprts are expensive & service(NONE FREE) is also on higher side, Rs 7-8 K for first & 10k for second, but every 15k kms. I've got a price of Rs. 617700 for trendline, after corporate disc. No other freebies except Original mats & mud flaps. Call it Effect of Maruti strike, of which I am unintended victim. No other discounts, despite bargaining haaaaard :(.

Another reason for choosing POLO is German genes, which i am strongly biased in favor of :)

Edited by nawalsingal

I am not aware about polo but have driven vento for about 200 kms while my trip to abu. Since polo aand vento share same platform both must have many similarity.

Vento suspensions are very very soft so bottoms very frequently which is probably very annoying to many. Drive is very smooth and pick up is some what better than etios and manza and indica vista.

Braking is excellent and vento rolls very less compare to many other similar sized car. Cabin is quitest amongst its segment.

German (can read european)car spares are notoriously expensive so do some research.best way to know spare price is availability to extended warranty and cost of it per lakh (price vise) and compare it with same segment car. Coz insurance premiums are based on base price, cost of spares and reliability.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Thanks Kshah, i am getting extended warranty for two years @7831.. For Ritz, this was 6990, hence no major difference. Service is indeed costly@7-10k & no, repeat no service is free. 1st service costs 7 K & second 10K, as per dealer & some owners' feed back. Any suggestion for a nice car audio system this side of 20 K?

Edited by nawalsingal

Any suggestion for a nice car audio system this side of 20 K?

Go for Pioneer if you want sound quality. I would recommend their top of the line 4390DVD for around 21K (bill+warranty) http://www.pioneer-india.in/index.php?option=com_catalog&view=product&Itemid=101&id=94 but if budget is low then cheaper options in Pioneer are also available like 3350BT and 2390DVD (around 15K + speakers extra). The VW OE system that they are giving in the Vento with touchscreen, gps navigation etc. is around 30K (seems like a Caska unit) and you can also try that after paying differential price for the GPS that you must be getting free.

• Like 1

Any suggestion for a nice car audio system this side of 20 K?

Go for Pioneer if you want sound quality. I would recommend their top of the line 4390DVD for around 21K (bill+warranty) http://www.pioneer-i...temid=101&id=94 but if budget is low then cheaper options in Pioneer are also available like 3350BT and 2390DVD (around 15K + speakers extra). The VW OE system that they are giving in the Vento with touchscreen, gps navigation etc. is around 30K (seems like a Caska unit) and you can also try that after paying differential price for the GPS that you must be getting free.

They are not offering that on Diesel, only on petrol( goodies worth 40K plus 10K corporate discount), but nothing on diesel :(, though will try to bargain on the unit itself. my brother has bargained for GPS unit , free upgrade, with Polo petrol in Ahmedabad(not bothered about fuel bills, as running will be hardly 500-600 kms a month, to be footed by Co.will be used as alternate to Captiva for domestic chores) Apart from HU, which speakers, Components will be out of budget, hence co-axial one only.

They are not offering that on Diesel, only on petrol( goodies worth 40K plus 10K corporate discount), but nothing on diesel :(, though will try to bargain on the unit itself. my brother has bargained for GPS unit , free upgrade, with Polo petrol in Ahmedabad(not bothered about fuel bills, as running will be hardly 500-600 kms a month, to be footed by Co.will be used as alternate to Captiva for domestic chores) Apart from HU, which speakers, Components will be out of budget, hence co-axial one only.

They are offering on Diesel also here in Meerut. Don't know why it is not there at your place. Sound quality of Pioneers will be better than the VW unit. You will just miss the GPS which can be added on later if needed as it has RGB input, at extra cost, otherwise our Android phones zindabad. Speakers, you can go in for Pioneer/Sony only in low/mid cost, otherwise if you want upgrade then JBL's are the best.

• Like 1

Breaking: Eon launched. d-lite Rs 2.69lakh, d-lite-o 2.91, era 3.11, magna 3.36, magna-o 3.46, sportz 3.71 ex showroom delhi

http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/Showroom/Flash/SRFOVERVIEW/DF_IN_SR_22_111010151236.html

@dkaile, I have almost zeroed in on Pioneer 2390 & Rockford R1693/R1653 speakers(Rear, front). Is this OK. Would love your opinion. Though would have preferred CASKA, but is way over budget. Best quote I got for HU was 36K, plus speakers.

=1462&no_cache=1&L=1"]Blaupunkt New York 800 35,999/- with MMI maps. They are coming to Meerut from Mumbai to give me special demo for my Fortuner so I can post review on Tbhp. Will keep you updated. Now Blaupunkt is true german quality and at this price quite a good bargain I would say. They will be offering me a very good special price too. JBL's are better the RF...

eea4dc3b6299dc1ab64edf6abb58d37a.jpg

• Like 1

Blaupunkt New York 800 35,999/- with MMI maps. They are coming to Meerut from Mumbai to give me special demo for my Fortuner so I can post review on Tbhp. Will keep you updated. Now Blaupunkt is true german quality and at this price quite a good bargain I would say. They will be offering me a very good special price too. JBL's are better the RF...

eea4dc3b6299dc1ab64edf6abb58d37a.jpg

When & what special price, Can you give me their Mumbai No.? Please PM me.

When & what special price, Can you give me their Mumbai No.? Please PM me.

Price is yet to be got. 9930068980 Rajeev batra (Sales Executive). Off 08652087772.

Edited by dkaile
  • Like 1

Anybody has idea about Ford Classic? Among sedans I find it inexpensive and good worth for money. Please do write if someone owns it. I plan to move from Maruti Alto to a sedan by the end of this year.

Any idea about the Chevrolet Beat Diesel?????????????? Am absolutely fascinated by the mileage and the price!!!!!!!! Any user experiences and reviews!

And added to this their 3 year ZERO MAINTENANCE offer is absolutely stunning. Never though that they would be able to offer this on their diesel variants also.

Chevrolet beat is bit more noisier than other diesel hatch back. Else its a good car. I always believe that though market is full of various opinions about various cars. Car selection should be based on following

1. Budget

2. Base requirement like city driving, intercity traveling etc.

3. Max number of family members need to be accommodated in best / worst possible scenario.

4. Cost of servicing.

5. Running per month / year

There are various opinions about various brands in market. Most of those opinions are perceptive. Which need to be considered only while making decision within our own criteria. For example, people who have upgraded themselves from say entry level car of 2 lakh to car worth 5 lakh, will most of the time talk ill about entry level car and its unrefined feel. The fact remain is that perception have changed because affordability have changed. Probably Entry level car excited him more than 10 lakh worth sedan.

This does not mean that opinions are wrong but certainly changed perceptions are not considered. Basically it all depends on money you have in pocket and then all other requirement. That is the reason why all products sells.

And diesel means more maintenance is also AGE OLD PERCEPTION, diesel technology is not equal but more reliable then petrol. Diesel technology extract more energy from fuel than petrol (In real terms,BTHU terms)

Edited by kshah
  • Like 1

To add to above, one important aspect of car selection is the Test Drive. When you narrow down your choices, make sure you test drive the car before finalising

I test drove the chevrolet beat, and true to the above opinion I found the engine a little on the noisy side. But otherwise it was a good car. Only worry would be regardig the maintenance!!! Never owned a chevrolet so a little skeptical!

The main confusion we have when we are buying a car is whether to go for a petol or a diesel. I was totally confused when I was to take a decision and the more number of people I aske about the same, the more diverse opinions is what I got. In the end, i decided to do the math myself to arrive at a logical conclusion for my benefit as well as for the benefit of fellow members and friends.

I have attached a Word document depicting various scenarios comparing the petrol and diesel cars. I have done this research in good faith and have tried not to be biased. Please keep me informed about the corrections if any. Any mistake is unintentional

CARS1.doc

With government policy it seems now even for people who drive about 10-12k kms per year diesel would fall cheaper. Two main reason first is fuel is about 40% cheaper and second is diesel technology is more than 30% more efficient. There is price difference of 60-100 k depending on brand but still diesel is now a days cheaper to own and run.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Also there is no reason now a days for diesel having more maintenance its old time fact, now nothing more than myth.<br /><br />One major factor we all ignore is cost of servicing and necessary consumables like filters, brake pads and calipers. Depending upon brand cost of it can go as high as 1-2 rupees per km . Many brands are ridiculously expensive. When I am talking about all this I assume that sparkplugs, brake pads and calipers, filters etc will be replaced as mentioned in maintenance schedule. <br /><br />Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Edited by kshah