Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
joshm

Buying a new car? Discuss here!

@ Amit, The manufacturer's tint on windows and windshields of Cars, at the time of delivery will definitely adhere with the permissible level of tint. This is allowed and will not be penalized. Vehicle owners, who have added tint to stock windows and windshields after purchasing their vehicles will invite fine and have to remove them.

Vehicles will be allowed to have sun films with 70 per cent visual light transmission (VLT) for front and rear windscreens, and 50 per cent VLT for side glasses, under Rule 100 of Central Motor Vehicles Rule, 1989.

Source : Got my Santro's tint reduced last week and went through the fine print ;)

@dkalie

Thanks, I know SC. has banned any tinting, but living without it is almost impossible, so this time I decided to go for cheap 1.8k wala films.

I can not imagine how difficult it would be without sun protection in our country. 50% and 70% films are fine for protection. Especially UV and IR protection.

As per judgment one can not alter nature of glass and tinting can be provided only by manufacturer. But not by applying film.

Got my Santro's tint reduced last week and went through the fine print ;)

Even if the out-market sun films comply with this VLT ratings, they are NOT allowed. Anything not affixed by manufacturer is banned, as of now, as per Supreme Court ruling.

I know SC. has banned any tinting, but living without it is almost impossible,

I have been using my cars without ANY sun films since the last 20 years without any issues in the sweltering North Indian heat. I fully support this sun film ban. It's all a matter of habit. Manufacturer rated tinted glasses provide the best VLT and safety.

Edited by dkaile

Anything not affixed by manufacturer is banned, as of now, as per Supreme Court ruling.

As per Motor Vehicle act, applying film even by car manufacturer is not legal. Glass has to be tinted from GLASS FACTORY - not by film.

26. The manufacturer of the vehicle may manufacture the vehicles with tinted glasses which have Visual Light Transmission (VLT) of safety glasses windscreen (front and rear) as 70 per cent VLT and side glasses as 40 per cent VLT, respectively. No black film or any other material can be pasted on the windscreens and side glasses of a vehicle.

23. In light of the above discussion, we have no hesitation in holding that use of black films or any other material upon safety glass, windscreen and side windows is impermissible. In terms of Rule 100(2), 70 per cent and 50 per cent VLT standard are relatable to the manufacture of the safety glasses for the windshields (front and rear) and the side windows respectively. Use of films or any other material upon the windscreen or the side windows is impermissible in law. It is the VLT of the safety glass without any additional material being pasted upon the safety glasses which must conform with manufacture specifications.

So as per above, SAFETY GLASS MANUFACTURER only can make tinted glass without pasting any film on it.

I have been using my cars without ANY sun films since the last 20 years without any issues in the sweltering North Indian heat. I fully support this sun film ban. It's all a matter of habit. Manufacturer rated tinted glasses provide the best VLT and safety.

Agreed but bad habits are easy to keep than good habits. Using 50% and 70% VLT as specified in law should be OK. Provided RTO and police can check it and enforce it properly. I personally not against SC ruling.

I know SC. has banned any tinting, but living without it is almost impossible,

It depends on the car and how powerful is its AC.

When you travel in a Maruti 800 in sweltering 45 degC heat, even the cool air coming out from the ac vents gets heated up before it reaches your body. In such scenario, sunfilm is the only saving grace. (My dad still drives a M800).

But of course, law is law and now there is no option left but to remove/not have tinted sunfilms.

hi all...

one of my friend is willing to buy SUV in on road price range of 20-25 lacs...

need guidance from our gurus on which suv to choose wrt to below priority

1. mileage

2. safety

3. low maintenance

4. looks & space.

only one option toyota fortuner...

look for the new Q3 if you are willing to stretch your budget.

As Amit said, Toyota Fortuner Auto is a great buy but driving experience is better with 4x4 Auto Ford Endeavor

I am looking to buy reva car? By looking at petrol cost, and heavy traffic,which makes 2 person to go on Bike really impossible.

in my calculation per kilometer cost of reva is Rs1.4.

as i have added cost of battery , bcoz it's replacement of fuel and consumable item in car.

so maintenance and running cost is comparable to that of bike and much cheper than car for 2 person+ kid.

also in city u cant drive car at more than 60 kmph, which is acceptable in case of reva.

does anyone using it?

also thinking of buying used one, let me know if anybody want to sell.

Sent from my HuaweiU8300 using Tapatalk

Reva may look very attractive for running cost but not a very practical solution IMHO for overall usability compared to what total initial capital cost you incur. How much does it sell for now a days? Whatever one may say, once you have a car, there will be ocassion when it will run for more than 60-80 kms at a stretch and you'll end up with charging problem. Plus the battery replacement over a period of time. There are only about 4,000 Reva sold till date which says a lot. Other issues like low power at steep inclines may be there.

Tata Nano may be a far better option for low capital + running cost.

in present scenario diesel is beat option for all aspects, be it running cost, safety or durability.

today saw nissan micra ad in paper, they are giving loan @ Rs. 1412/lac.

good offer.

@ rajan,

i already own tata nano, but looking out for get rid of bike, which i generally use, while going alone and for to and fro from office.

so my requirement is alternative to bike. Bcoz running cost of reva including battery replacement comes lower than motorcycle .

reva basic version comes with Rs4.2 lacs.

battery cost for full set of 8units Rs74000.

average life of battery as per company recommendation is 72000 km, ie 1000 km/month for 6 years.

also waiting for comments from mr Dhiraj.

Sent from my HuaweiU8300 using Tapatalk

Reva is still not a practical solution for India, till the govt. declares all oil is finished tomorrow, then your Reva will be worth in millions. Jokes apart. One of my friend was a die hard Reva fan in Meerut. He bought one and used it consistently for few years, even overlooking its many shortcomings and high cost of battery replacement. The height came when his wife was robbed when driving the Reva alone due to the fact the car did not accelerate in a lonely spot and the motorcycle borne thieves blocked her passage and robbed her. He sold the Reva shortly after and took a VW Polo.

If you want ultra low cost vehicle, your choices are Nano, Alto and also Beat diesel. Nano 2012 model is NOW being built on one of the most modern plants in India. I got a look of the plant on National Geographic's "Mega Factories" and was deeply shocked by the level of sophistication and robotics involved in the Sanadh Nano Plant. I was sold on this vehicle after seeing the intricacies and the good manufacturing practices that Tata has employed. For city use, it is a highly practical substitute for a Motorcycle.

Edited by dkaile

In an order which would impact lakhs of people owning cars, the Gujarat high court on Wednesday directed the state government to pass necessary laws to make it compulsory for all four-wheelers registered in Gujarat to convert to natural gas within one year.

Link >> http://timesofindia....ow/15153893.cms

Can the judiciary ever pass such orders on policy matters which are exclusively under the executive's domain under indian constitution?

Are we turning into judocrazy from democrazy? :crazy1:

Now a days most of the laws are being made by our honourable Supreme/High court judges.

-> Removal of tinted films from vehicles in delhi

-> Quashing of licenses of telecom operators

-> Gujrat vehicles with natural gas

There are many other instances where our courts are making laws :P

There are too many decision making, Law making and permission granting agencies in every nook and corner of india..

Too many cooks spoil the daal chaawal.. :P

I m planning to buy a diesal car.in sedan my budget is between 8-10 lac for new car & 3-4 lac for a used.car. Also I m ok with a used petrol car upto 3lac which can b converted in cng. Pls suggest as I m totally confused with so many choices available

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

Sarkar kuch nahi kare to court ko hi kuch karana padega, Neta logo ko corruption me se fursat milegi tab kam karenge.

decided on a honda brio S MT or S(O)MT, currently getting insurance free, should book on monday :)

booked a brio today, had to bargain hard, insurance was free anyways, managed additional 10k discount + anti rust+teflon coating + gear lock + mats free :)

delivery is gonna be on tuesday.

I m planning to buy a diesal car.in sedan my budget is between 8-10 lac for new car & 3-4 lac for a used.car. Also I m ok with a used petrol car upto 3lac which can b converted in cng. Pls suggest as I m totally confused with so many choices available

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

I'll suggest you Honda City, Skoda Rapid

confused between SMT n the top end model VMT, http://prntscr.com/cth9o

difference is abt 83k but then i get alloys + other **** :o

any suggestions guys !!!!!!!!

confused

For this category and variant of car, I would suggest you to stick to the lower variant and save money. You will get better resale and accessories can always added on as required.

confused

For this category and variant of car, I would suggest you to stick to the lower variant and save money. You will get better resale and accessories can always added on as required.

yup, spoke to my dad, he also suggested me the same

i am looking for a 2nd hand car to convert into cng i am ok with both sedan and hatchback

average use is 900-1000 km a month

my friend suggested a honda city is more suitable to cng conversion is it true or which are the models with better results for CNG conversion

currently i am using a wagonR LXi petrol since march 2007

waiting for valuable suggestions