Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
joshm

Buying a new car? Discuss here!

Even I used to think I love driving manual. But driving day in and day out in sow traffic wears you down and finally I shifted to Honda City AT around 6 months back

The comfort of an AT is unbelievable and to be honest you can never change gears so quickly as the Honda AT in Sports mode. I have a OBD-II bluetooth dongle which calculates 0-100 times very nicely and the AT always beats my manual timings. Offcourse, in terms of mileage there is a small difference but it is very little, unlike the earlier ATs. Nowadays its only if you keep it in Drive all the while when you are stopped.

I was so skeptical while buying an AT that I tried all types of cars in all ranges and after settling on honda city AT I insisted on getting paddle shifts (where you can shift gears up or down from the steering wheel through two small paddles) since I thought that there will definitely be some situations where I will want to change to a different gear than the AT.

But believe me, I have not had the chance to even TRY the paddle shifts EVEN ONCE ! The gears are always perfect and it makes no sense to use the paddle shifts.

Off-course, you need to get a feel of the auto tranny and also know how to nudge the accelerator up or down to signal your intention to the car. If you haven't got that then no AT can predict what you will want to do next. It can only react to what you are doing now. So if you suddenly feel the urge to race, press down hard on the accelerator and it will downshift 1-2 gears and vroom ahead. And if you feel you are going to drive really relaxed but the AT is still on a low gear, just ease a little on the accelerator and it will upshift.

Funniest part is that after driving manual for decades, and AT just for 6 months I tried driving my brother's manual car and kept forgetting to change gears while thinking why is the car making so much noise ! Never thought that will happen.

Edited by ami1
  • Like 6

Consider Ford Figo too in your current Short listed cars - since you have added Swift - I wish to recommend. It is really VFM in that segment.

ford is gr8 car excellent for driving pleasure

but cancel due to home minister :(

Edited by vabs

AT/manual should be personal preference. But in India it is not the case. People mostly buy manual because of lack of knowledge on AT, not tuned to AT and other major factor is "Kitna deti hai". Once they are told that there is difference of fuel economy of 1km, they will start reverse calculation.

• Like 1

It is not about Car. Car accessories. Can anybody suggest good 15" or nearby size flip top Monitor having HDMI input along with DVD. I want to install it Middle row on My newly acquired force one SUV and use with with MAC MINI on road.

dear friends,

I am planning to book a verna sx vtvt- purple fantasia. However, most of the dealers in baroda / a'bad are telling me that colour is withdrawn by hyundai. However, it still appears on their website. Is there any way to find out 'real' picture. As mostly, I have found dealers to dump their inventory irrespective of what you want.

If anyone can help me, it will be appreciated.

Edited by silent_god

Over new year's eve , I got a chance to drive Honda Amaze Diesel. I drove good 200+ kms and tell you its really good car. The pick up is excellent. I wont say much about interiors and space. there are many reviews on that on the net. I had read somewhere that ground clearance is low but I could not notice that issue. I drove from Mumbai to Lonavala and back.

Right now one of the best cars launched is the new Honda City. Priced right and loaded. All those considering Verna/Amaze/similar may give a serious look to the new City.

• Like 2

<p>Dkji looking forward for new linea diesel which is going to be launched this February. Any other suggestions in same range. </p><p> </p><p> </p>

^

Like I said before, go for new Honda City Diesel rather than Linea.

• Like 2

i would second dheeraj ji too, go for new honda city diesel.

• Like 1

<p>Diesel engine is same in city and Amaze. And it's good choice. </p>

Pls suggest: Need a petrol car..

1. Mahindra Quanto

2. Nissan Sunny

3. Honda Amaze (This has the same engine as new City, right?)

4. Honda City

5. Skoda - Rapid

6-8 Lakhs...

Any idea which will be cheapest in maintenance??

<p>I would suggest for Honda City for new look & most reliable car from the list.... May be it would cost you around 9 Lacs... </p>

Honda Amaze is a diesel car. Nissan Sunny is very spacious. Can't comment about after sales service. Mahindra is in a different league. Honda City is all around a very good car.

<p>If budget permit go for new honda city, amaze is gr8 car if you are ok with interior ( available in petrol n diesel ) honda + petrol u can never go wrong, sunny if u want spacious option but look for nissan service availability </p>

1. Mahindra Quanto

2. Nissan Sunny

4. Honda City

5. Skoda - Rapid

6-8 Lakhs...

what about Etios ? it is quiet spacious & reliable too. I like look of Etios more better than Amaze. Amaze seems kind of modified 'something' product & not exactly a sedan.

Edited by silent_god

Friend of mine sold his newly bought Etios in six months. Complained of low ground clearance & shoddy tinwork & interiors.

Etios looks a bad option compared to City/Sunny. Dont like the looks!

Sunny gives an average maintenance cost of 30K in 5 years (http://www.cardekho.com/nissan-sunny/service-cost.htm)

City gives an average maintenance cost of 50K in 6 years (http://www.cardekho.com/honda-city/service-cost.htm)

In general, I find Honda (Amaze/City) gives more maintenance. Nissan, not sure, but atleast online reviews says that its better than Honda!

Have a Nissan service outlet in my city. Any other opinions would be helpful.

Thanks.

1. Mahindra Quanto

2. Nissan Sunny

4. Honda City

5. Skoda - Rapid

6-8 Lakhs...

what about Etios ? it is quiet spacious & reliable too. I like look of Etios more better than Amaze. Amaze seems kind of modified 'something' product & not exactly a sedan.

Honda Amaze is the Brio with a boot. Handling and Mileage is good. City is a premium product and Amaze is affordable. As for all Honda cars, both of them have low ground clearance and you are actually supposed to touch base with speed breakers on weather and other.

If you have budget to 8lacs, go for city, all new city new starts from 7.42 and fives 26kmpl.

Sunny is also a good option provided service center is in town.

Quanto is out of question.

Skoda is good too. Spares are costly may be more costly than Honda.

Sit in the vehicle, drive around on the bumps and decide for yourself.

All the best.

Sent from my RM-914_using Tapatalk

Opt for Honda and if budget permits then City. Mahindra is out of question. Sunny is not so successful in India though it is spacious. Honda is also advertising that their new petrol engine give better mileage, but no idea if any of the models are fitted with it. But still it is better option from the rest.

Also looks on Hyundai Verna

Sent from my XT907