Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
caringlover

ShopAndShip / PPO Box & other package forwarders

Hi,

What is the import, custom & shipping charges on importing laptops through SNS ?

• Like 1

:previous:

I think custom duties on Laptops/PC is somewhere around 25%

and shipping charges are 10$ for first 500Gms, than 8$ per 500Gms plus service tax.

For netbook should be around 2-2.5K, for laptops even higher.

^ ^ ^

I think following are the Custom Duty Rates for various items. Disclaimer: Check with Shopandship India for exact information before buying. This is general info.

1.3%

Mobiles

4%

Processor,modem, Hard Disk(Internal)

14.712%

Laptop/Computers /iPad, Other than Movie CD/DVD, Digital Steal Image Camera, Sports Equipment, Computer Printers, Hard Disk External and other computer peripherals

26.849 %

Digital / Video Cameras,Medicine /Supplement’s, Entertainment sports equipment’ (like video games), Electronics/ Car parts, Other Than computer printers, Hand Watches, iPod, DVD Players, Cosmetics/ Stationery/Toys, Web cameras, Sunglasses, Gaming Consoles, Television, Battery (laptop), Apparel, shoes, Artificial jewellery, Camera lens, Phone accessories, Cables/wires

• Like 5

What is the import, custom & shipping charges on importing laptops through SNS ?

Visit shopyourworld.com .. find exact product or similar product --> add to cart --> checkout --> Dummy registration --> You shall know the customs duty/tax amount

^

I think for courier mode duty structure is different and it could be as much as 50%

• Like 1

^ ^ ^

Don't think courier mode 50% duty applies for online shopping through US sites, you may be mixing it with baggage rates. Check my post 2-3 posts above for duty rates for various items given by shopandship india which is a division of aramex couriers doing forwarding business from US, UK, China for online shopping with custom clearance. As per their list, bluetooth headset should fall under mobile accessories with a duty rate of 26.849%. They are doing roaring business now a days with shoppers actually importing latest handsets from US by just paying 1.3% custom duty.

I guess SnS will clear as duty free if the item is less than 10K and you need to provide them the original invoice once it reaches their NY office!

^

They recommend that buyer provides ebay/paypal invoice immediately after buying so that they can do the necessary calculations when the product reaches their office.

This is lucrative business especially the middle east has high demand going by the reviews on their website, and it is growing in India as well.

^Oh ok. As per the post by SnS in some other forum, we need to send the invoice with their aramex tracking no to them and usually we get aramex tracking no after it reaches their NY address. AFAIK, in NY office only the calculate shipping charges. So far i've done like this and 2 times escaped from duty, one in last week for HP touchpad :P

Its not escape I feel, custom duty is altogether not applicable for product for value less than 10k.

Baggage rates applies for HS Code 9804 imported by Air/Post (& NOT COURIER) for Personal Use or for Gifts above Rs. 10,000/- by Post/Air.

Custom duty on Gifts are charged as per their Price in country of Origin.

Electronics good below Rs. 2000/- are exempted from Custom Duty if Imported by Post.

For Couriers with Licence, Baggage rate are not charged. They are charged as per Schedule of Charges.

Duty below Rs. 100/- is exempted from Payment.

Edited by kapilthio
  • Like 1

^^ @smnrock - Didn't quite follow the procedure above. The aramex tracking no. can only be available after SnS dispatches the goods from the US address, right? So why does the same tracking number, which they only gave need to be provided back to them? Please clarify the steps below:

1. Purchase is made from a US merchant (say ebay/newegg).

2. The invoice of that purchase & the tracking number of that shipment is sent to Shop&Ship. Since their New York office only calculates the 'shipping to India' costs, is it that if this primary invoice is less than the Dollar equivalent of 10,000 rupees (say $200), only then there is no duty charged?

3. Does the package then get delivered to the India address without duty addition.

At what stage would they inform you about the quantum of duty payable in case it is payable?

Lastly would a SnS address be acceptable as a delivery address for Paypal payments as many insist on the 'Paypal verified address'?

The above clarifications would be very helpful for first timers to make their purchases.

Thanks in advance :)

For Shop and Ship Viz Aramex, They have import licence and are authorised CHA (Clearing House Agent).

I suggest that you email them Invoice+Payment Advice+US Tracking# on the same day that its going to reach their NY, US warehouse. Since as per Indian Customs, Carriers have to file Import Manifest at-least 24 hours before Arrival by courier (72 Hours for Items coming thru Ship). So its better you that you provide required stuff to them on time so that they file correct manifest & item is cleared on time.

• Like 1

Verified PayPal Address means that Customer has verified the address. And its same as Credit Card Billing address or Bank address.

Using Indian Credit Card or VCC or Entropay on PayPal you can't verify SnS address. You can only verify PayPal address using a US Credit Card or Bank A/c.

Mods --- Should we start a thread for Shop and Ship ? ------- Thanks a lot. Many people will find their answers here.

Edited by kapilthio

The reason for sending invoice with aramex tracking no is, you might have more than one shipping at a time. Customs duty will be known only during actual delivery to you. These delivery people usually call you and inform prior that you need to pay this much amount :)

The procedure i used to follow is, Once the item reaches NY office, i will get SnS activity mail with weight details and item description. Then i will forward this mail to india@shopandship.com and Karan's(assistant in SnS india operations) with my invoice. Then they will forward this to import team and import team will clear the item as per the invoice once it reaches india.

^^^^

Didnt happened to me.. I had sent them a paypal invoice (after my shipment reached their NY hub) for BB Style which I bought for around Rs. 5400. However, I was charged custom duty on mobile phone valued at Rs 16000.

Edited by @Akash

Verified PayPal Address means that Customer has verified the address. And its same as Credit Card Billing address or Bank address.

Using Indian Credit Card or VCC or Entropay on PayPal you can't verify SnS address. You can only verify PayPal address using a US Credit Card or Bank A/c.

Mods / Rajan bhai --- Should we start a thread for Shop and Ship ?

If you are buying something from EBay and want it shipped to shopandship.com address, then you can simply add the shopandship.com address in EBay note not paypal, and pay through paypal as usual. There is no hassle.

If however, you are buying outside EBay but paying through paypal then you cannot add the shopandship.com address to your paypal account, reason is paypal will only allow addresses of same country as credit card, so for adding usa address one needs to link usa credit card to paypal account.

^^^

I know that. I was talking about PayPal verified address.

And if you register for PayPal with SNS address than you will need to verify A/c which you can't with your Indian CC. Since Paypal verifies the CC address with the address you entered.

Guys,

Many Ebay Sellers accept Un-verified PayPal address but Don't accept Payment from International Paypal. So Please check with them before buying or at-least paying for it.

While bidding I won MINT Droid Pro for USD 120 only with lots of accessories. But Seller did not accept Un-verified PayPal. Maybe since it was sold for less..

^^^^

Didnt happened to me.. I had sent them a paypal invoice (after my shipment reached their NY hub) for BB Style which I bought for around Rs. 5400. However, I was charged custom duty on mobile phone valued at Rs 16000.

As per Indian Customs rules Valuation for all import is done as per Market Value & not as per Invoice value. Many do under- invoice to save on Custom Duty. Through SNS claims that they will get the Shipment cleared as per Invoice, But its luck if your Parcel gets cleared at Invoice Value.

great topic lot of info.

But still not clear, how can one escape from paying custom duty, which needed to pay to Indian government, by using trick of not sending original invoice. or by any other means.

there s no escape. Its pure luck. I had in total got six parcels from usa through sns out of which three items were less than 200$ but still I had to pay custom duty on 2 items in cash at the time of delivery. In fact in one case invoice was really under valued to 40$ viz actual invoice of 120$. Even then they assessed it as they wished and I had to post duty. So, finally customs is totally luck game.though in my case max duty I paid was around 350 inr for a mobile worth 260$.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

It can be luck, but i'm not sure where you guys are sending the invoice. Custom duty is calculated not only invoice value but also on the shipping charges.(invoice + shipping to india). As per Sns only items imported from china are assessed by market value in india and not from US/UK. For eg, HP touchpad who ever imported through SnS and sent invoice has not paid any customs. Myself imported 2 Hptouchpad in a package and one in a seperate package, here pacakage having 2 touchpads charged duty and not the other one. Its case for everyone who got touchpad and even one guy got 32GB duty free.

AFAIK, any gift valued less than Rs 10000 can be duty free. If it is a gift, there should be no invoice. It is left to customs to decide whether it really cost less than Rs 10000.

Items sent as gift, get a deduction of Rs 10000 from CIF (Cost+Insurance+Freight) and tax is calculated on remaining amount.

Why dont GOI makes any pruchase for personal use less than Rs 10000 duty free?