Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Rahul Always

New Mobile OS in The Offing - Tizen?

Two Linux groups said on Wednesday they would combine their technologies to create a new operating software platform for a range of mobile devices led by Intel and Samsung Electronics. LiMoFoundation and the Linux Foundation said the new Tizen platform is an open-source, standards-based software platform that supports multiple devices including smartphones, tablets, smart TVs, netbooks and in-vehicle 'infotainment' systems.

The initial release of Tizen is planned for the first quarter of 2012, enabling the first devices using the platform to come to market in mid-2012, the two groups said.

The world's largest semiconductor firm Intel, which also has its own MeeGo Linux version, and Samsung Electronics, the second biggest maker of cell phones and one of the key contributors to LiMo, will head the technical steering committee of the new platform.

Linux-based operating systems have already gained traction in mobile devices with Google Inc's Android rising to the top spot in global smartphone rankings, but the market share for other Linux variants has been marginal.

Samsung is the leading manufacturer using Google's Android platform, but a spokesman for the company said the move was in line with the company's strategy.

"We've been a core Linux partner ... and this is in line with our strategy of supporting many platforms," a Samsung spokesman in Seoul said.

Linux is the most popular type of free or so-called open source computer operating system, which is available to the public to be used, revised and shared.

Source : http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/tech/software/intel-samsung-electronics-to-lead-new-linux-software-platform-called-tizen/articleshow/10154621.cms

Linux suppliers earn money selling improvements and technical services

• Like 1

<< Topic Moved to Other Mobile Os/Platform Sub-Forum >>

Android need some good competition apart from iOS. Hope TIZEN compete android and do not die premature like meego / WP7

@kshah "like meego / WP7 " i think u forgot symbian,webos.

Look promising like samsung bada os. let see. https://www.tizen.org/developers.

HTC also thinking of OWN mobile OS. more option for mobile manufactures.

I think symbian died its natural death and WebOS as Hetal mentioned, it is killed by step father. So two OS remained which died prematurely. IMO :sorry:

As long as competition remains healthy, it is fine. I hope we dont end up in a Windows like situation where everything is proprietary.

IMO, even properietory OS can develop provided they provide right support to developers. iOS is brilliant example.

WP7's failure is bcause of poor designing of OS. They immitated iOS so badly that OS could not do basic jobs. Imagine smart phone with no customizable ring tones and smart phone which do not support I'M. o_O

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Google will eat TIZEN, and then TIZEN will be only at backend like a core and kernel

Samsung announced that its Bada OS will merge with Intel's Tizen OS. Apps developed for bada will be able to work on Tizen, and will be backward compatible with previously published apps. Eventually, the two will share the same developer interfaces and the same roots.

when did wp7 died ?? i was thinking it is going to capable enough to compete with android one day, the hopes are alive too, i dont see any reason why not ? :quest::dontknow:

Its just not the OS its the whole ECO System

Android have Best Google supported services like Gmail, docs, Picasa, Google+, Navigation and Maps, Translation, Voice Action, Android Market, Google talk, Chrome Sync, YouTube, Music and Videos.

Android is also made in such a way the all App Written fully in Dalvik can run on any damn platform from ARM to x86, x64 Itanium you just need to ports dalvik engine, it is supporting any damn sizes and density of screen from Phone to TV. Android have Widest supporting company like HTC, Samsung, Sony, LG, Motorola, Amazon, Barnes and Noble - Nook, Toshiba, ACER, ASUS, Panasonic, Archos and 100+ Local brands in the world, There are 500+ ROM makers in wild porting Android in different dimension of hardware.

Bada it self is made on Android stack, Tizen is a Native Language Supported OS means it can only run x86 Compiled codes on x86 or ARM Compiled codes on ARM, Bada is made of of same Dalvik like Run times, so if Bada can be run on Tizan same Android apps will also run if you can port Dalvik run-time engine. Tizen is developed only as a Armour or weapon in case anythings goes wrong in android.

Intel is supporting Tizen as iOS and Android is primarily made on and for ARM Architecture making user shy from Intels Architecture business.

@ hetal

all the google services can be used on other platforms too except for market, navigation(maybe)etc

lets talk frank, how many people know what is an arm ?

i dont think people give a damn about the file systems too, only geeks and highly intelligent people do

but majority of the market is of casual daily users who dont give a damn about about all those things,

they only want a mobile which snaps awesome pictures, plays super music, longer battery life and "most importantly something to boast off " i have frnds using android and they boast off to other java based phone owners that " we have open source os " the mighty android" when i ask them what do u know abt open source and stuff they give a blank face and say " its better , thats it "

as u say android is "only the best", then why isnt android still perfectly stable ? and why is android still a power ****ing baby, i have seen wp7 phones whose hardware is exactly same of android phone gives higher battery life than android ?

so lets face it " no os is perfect , its just the peole choice which matters "

as far i understood(may be a wrong perception)

android was opted by many manufactures at first because they didnt have to invest large funds for OS , if they use android they have only need to customize it to particular handsets

and its "FREE " mate ( yes, they have to pay for some licenses though, but its cheap )

and was backed by well known company "GOOGLE"

PS:" Im not a android hater , even i use a android phone and i love it, but lets face the fact, android is not perfect, and other OS have their chances "

• Like 2

so lets face it " no os is perfect , its just the peole choice which matters "

Agreed ! +1

+1

once Nokia ruled, now its no longer the leader.

some time back BB was the "IN" thing, now its passe.

then android was the upstart. now its the ruler.

so who knows what would happen three years down the line.

• Like 1

are there any commercial releases scheduled?

the last I read was about z9005... it seemed very similar to Android in look and feel

After several delays, Samsung has finally launched its first Tizen-powered smartphone, the simply named Samsung Z.

The Samsung Z comes with a 4.9-inch, 1280x720 Super AMOLED display, 2.3GHz quad-core processor (probably the Snapdragon 800), 2GB of RAM, 16GB internal memory with microSD card support, 8 megapixel rear camera, 2.1 megapixel front camera, LTE, NFC, IR sensor, 2600mAh battery and version 2.2.1 of Tizen.

The Samsung Z also has a fingerprint sensor in the home button and a heart rate monitor on the back, which first debuted on the Galaxy S5.

There doesn't seem anything particularly new or appealing about the Tizen OS as of now but Samsung does promise fast performance, quick multitasking and high quality web browsing experience. The UI is somewhat similar to the one on the new Galaxy S5.

The phone will initially launch in Russia in the third quarter of this year, and will make its way to some of the other markets later.

qegevuju.jpg