Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
arnuld

Qwerty vs Touch

I have a NOKIA 1280 and I type lots of small SMSs (200-300 characters long). Few days back I typed 600-800 character SMSs and my hand ached like anything. It pained whole that day. I was thinking of buying NOKIA C5 but now because of hand pain I thought a QWERTY phone will better (Motorola Charm ?) but my friend advised me to go for capacitive Touchscreen instead. I hate touchscreen phones, especially when Android eats the battery like women eat gol-gappas. I just want a simple GSM phone with these features:

• Lightweight (100 gm is fine)
  • Bluetooth (for transferring files)
  • good audio quality with 3.5mm jack

and of course, comfortable enough to type lots of SMSs. Whats you advice ?

Ya, if you use your mobile for texting then qwerty is always better in my opinion. I too like qwerty instead of touch.

Motorola Charm is both Qwerty as well as Touch (Capacitive), but its Android 2.1

You can also consider the new Lg Optimus Pro C660 Touch and Type Android mobile. :)

try blackberry. you get full qwerty keyboard and battery life is also good.

:doh: Do I hate QWERTY?

My Palm Pixi Plus's buttons markings have gone and finding it quite difficult to type out just to get names in stored Contacts & SMS is still worse.

Repeated cry for a remedy has yielded nothing from the RIMWEB Seller from whom I bought this or the other one who claims that he has a Keypad to replace but never responds :angry:

OR to praise Touch?

Another worry is that many PPP users have complained that their display is lost and they are not able to use the mobile itself.

So

m.jpg

@arnuld, I think you'd love virtual keypad on capacitive touch screen if you test good handset. Swype is the best.It's much faster compared to qwerty.But for having nice experience you have to have a not-so-cheap handset.You'll be needed to use both hands to type with swype.

unless your job depends on it, you need to seriously reduce your sms length if your hand is paining

don't ignore such warning signs and see a joint doctor also

i had pain in my right wrist for a few months [not carpel tunnel] but since it was long hours at work it became so bad that i had to get it wrapped to limit movement for a few weeks back in 1997

i even switched my mouse to left handed since my wrist never recovered 100% from that strain

needless to say i switched my job a quarter later that same year!

I have a NOKIA 1280 and I type lots of small SMSs (200-300 characters long). Few days back I typed 600-800 character SMSs and my hand ached like anything. It pained whole that day. I was thinking of buying NOKIA C5 but now because of hand pain I thought a QWERTY phone will better (Motorola Charm ?) but my friend advised me to go for capacitive Touchscreen instead. I hate touchscreen phones, especially when Android eats the battery like women eat gol-gappas. I just want a simple GSM phone with these features:

• Lightweight (100 gm is fine)
  • Bluetooth (for transferring files)
  • good audio quality with 3.5mm jack

and of course, comfortable enough to type lots of SMSs. Whats you advice ?

i am using samsung fascinate with swype & its fantastic

I feel more comfortable typing on the on-screen multi touch keyboard of my Photon than on the physical qwerty one of BB 9650.

Bigger, capacitive screen (4.3 inches) is a blessing!

Typing on big QWERTY is always comfortable. I used BB8830 for 1 year and i loved the typing.

Agree with Amit Ji. I was using Touch phones for past 2 years & I switched to BB8830. Most of the time when you switch phones from touch to type, Your finger goes to screen to click or select but I must say literally my finger never went over the screen to touch.

I am using Droid 2 Global currently & I love QWERTY Keypad much as compared to touch.

Qwerty its qwerty.virtual keyboard is no compare

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

One more Photon user in the forum! Kshah ji why haven't you posted your views / experience with the device yet.

Please consider city2's advice, if there is pain please make a point to check it

these things hurt more in the long run

You can try your hands on a capacitive as one needs just a tap of a finger than a press of a button so hands can be relaxed

try it on any friends handset

for speed tough QWERTY is QWERTY

The BB might be just your thing

Edited by omk4r

When it comes to a virtual QWERTY, its very boring to type on it and gradually you start hating it.

^

It simply a personal choice. I love swype, the virtual qwerty. I tried physical qwerty on BB Torch and found it too cumbersome. It's so slow compared to swype's speed and accuracy with which I can type.

Also repetitive key-press is energy-consuming and can lead to Carpal Tunnel syndrome which cannot happen with swype.

One can just imagine.. Even for the full size computer keboards, if you are not careful about proper usage, over long term it definately leads to RSI & other health issues which are difficult to cure. With punny size mobile QWERT, how much pressure one exerts on fingers in keeping it bended, locating and pressing tiny keys..

If you're a heavy user, it's going to damage over long term..

Touch and SWYPE typing is fast, smooth and without any pressure. I don't think any QWERT keyboard user can match a well experienced SWYPE user in typing speed..

We should keep a contest at RIMweb to settle the issue once and for all :Sorprendido:

^

Rajan ji, the issue is well-settled at the world level. The fastest and the most accurate typing is possible only with swype. The world record set by a swyper is getting broken by another swyper only.

See this: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/01/quadriplegic-new-guinness-world-record-swype/

Guinness set the challenge phrase:

“The razor- toothed piranhas of the genera

Serrasalmus and Pygocentrus are the most

ferocious freshwater fish in the world. In reality

they seldom attack a human,”

Many full sized physical keyboards will pose big problems to type this.

And you have rightly pointed out that typing with swype is effortless.

I'll not compare non-swype virtual qwerty with physical qwerty. Physical qwerty is nowhere near swype in respect of ease, accuracy and speed.

I'm writing this post with swype with ease flawlessly.

One more Photon user in the forum! Kshah ji why haven't you posted your views / experience with the device yet.

Still under trial so let me get stabilized with swype to post review :)

Let me put it in a slightly different way:

The only operating systems worth looking at for a smartphone are, iOS, Blackberry and Android.

Of these Blackberry is QWERTY barring one or two models.

iOS is only touch and overhyped and overpriced in my view.

Android is essentially touch but there are some excellent models with both. I have a Samsung Galaxy i5510, with my wife, which has a slide out keyboard. I had a Samsung Epic 4G (CDMA) which had the same. However, after a couple of months I found that was never using the keypad - migration is pretty painless. In fact I am not even going to the horizontal format. I have since traded in the Epic 4G for an Incredible 2 which is pure touch. Beleive me the change is far more painless than we fear.

So you options are one of the BBs or a dual mode Android.

All the android users switch to go keyboard

It's awesome and it has swype as well and very similar to iPhone keyboard

I am very much comfortable with iPhone keyboard, never felt like having a physical keyboard

IMO Swype is the best. I had received an email from swype team and they provided me a link for their beta version. Till date that version of swype I guess is the best virtual keyboard I had used. But Alas i have upgraded my phone to Motorola photon and it already has swype and it does not allow me to go ahead with that installer.

If any one want to try that installer do let me know!

^

Send me that. I want to try it out.

IMO Swype is the best. I had received an email from swype team and they provided me a link for their beta version. Till date that version of swype I guess is the best virtual keyboard I had used. But Alas i have upgraded my phone to Motorola photon and it already has swype and it does not allow me to go ahead with that installer.

If any one want to try that installer do let me know!

Will it work on samsung epic? Is yes pls share the link

Sougata bhai give me your email address. or mail me at mujeebrehman4u at gmail dot com. I will forward the email I received from swype team and it has link to the installer.