Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
SumitVerma

National Telecom Policy 2011 - No More Roaming Charges!

Just now saw news and Kapil Sibbal announcing that no more roaming charges will be applicable Pan-India.

Effective Date: Didnt see as it was in the highlights.

If someone could let know more about it!

• Thanks 2

I was about to post the news flash, Sumit was faster.

It's the best news my ears could listen. I'm so happy. Feel like dancing.

Now the after-effect should be porting to pan-India.......

• Thanks 1

Effective date is not mentioned in any News Paper websites.

It's still part of the proposal of the New DRAFT Telecom policy. Not implemented yet. Final implementation date after revisions / modifications if any is expected to be around December 2011.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks for the info, thats what I was looking for as I heard the word "Prastaav"!

Don't know what will be the aftermath once this policy is implemented.

Truly One-India.

• Haha 1

In addition to no roaming charges (which is free incoming while roaming), the policy also talked about numbers which are zone free, which means one would be able to retain the same number even while switching zones! Truly pan India numbers in future. Cant wait for that to happen!

• Haha 1

Its a Proposal. I hope there will be discussions over it & I personally feel most companies are not going to favour 'All India Free Roaming'. Specially AirTel, Vodafone, Idea due to loss in Revenues.

There won't be much effect on BSNL, RCOM since they already operates Pan-India Network of their own.

• Confused 1

@ Kapil, Airtel also has Pan-India network IMHO

^^^

Yes. Airtel does have network but NLD calls are carried on BSNL network.

Yep. Airtel has nationwide presence and offers mobile services in all 22 telecom circles in India.

So now onwards, One Nation One India Rule??

No Roaming, No STD Funda, All India one rate one number,

All circles SDCA will be megred?

^^^

Amit Ji, What do you say ? Will this affect Operators ??

I mean to say now onwards if no roaming, then the numbers will be valid for all india, and STD call charges also needs to be removed.

According to ET, NDTV etc, the operators will take a hit of Rs 2500 to Rs 3000 crores if roaming rates are nullified.

They will find newer ways to fleece you to recover more than 4 to 6 times the above amount. And out of this, you all know who will get a cut!!!

Yes you guessed it right, Uncle will make some moolah out of this proposal. And No Anna will be able to touch him even with a barge-pole.

Ha Ha and all you folks are getting very happy about no roaming charges and PAN India MNP?

• Like 1

Read the Draft Telecom Policy 2011 Document. Attached with this post.

It just looks like a lofty intent to do a lot of things. Written in very "generalist" terms. The whole document containts no actual / clear / draft policy which says that we will do this or that. It's just a long list of objectives. Some of which should have been done years ago.

This looks like what governments come out with "First 100 Days" when coming to power. Most of them never materialize.

And the Free Roaming for which everyone is so glad is mentioned in the 27 page document like this..

Achieve One Nation - Full Mobile Number Portability and work towards One Nation - Free Roaming.

:haha:

MODS: Can the topic be renamed "Telecom Policy 2011" ?

DRAFT NATIONAL TELECOM POLICY 2011.pdf

Lets be rational folks.

We are paying tariff which is the cheapest in any where in the world. No mobile operator covers it cost from call charges. Its the VAS Service that makes them all the money. Operators are only make money off data plans, SMS, Dialer Tunes. They new policy has already made SMS more expensive as compared to the past. I personally think its a good move because most people tend to abuse it and jam the networks.

So by removing roaming charges operators will be hit by a loss but the upside is they will be able to acquire spectrum in other circles where they were previously not allowed or licensed. There will be a more level ground competition.

We are after all one country! Why should our telecom circles be divided.

I hope they implement the 'One India' idea which has been on the cards soon. The basic benefit will be your number will be there for good. I do expect a small upward revision of the tariff. I agree with rajanmehta that a lot of it is likely to be just gas. This govt has been big on talk and poor on delivery. I expect the same here. However, since this is a discussion paper let us wait and see.

Mr Sibal has been one of the worst in being big on talk and poor on delivery. See the latest - he wants 100 new IITs. The existing ones are already facing a massive shortage of faculty. So where will he get the teachers - in trees (we know who lives there!). Also, brand dilution will be phenomenal. Now they are willing to provide a very lucrative deal for people from Old IITs to go to the newer ones for up to two years. He also wants an AIIMS & IIM in every state.

Apparently, no roaming etc. will lead to a revenue loss for all. I saw on the box that RCom may be the least sufferer, with the loss expected to be about 10 crores (not clear whether it is monthly or annual).

Edited by sgiitk
  • Haha 1

what will happen to 3g. some operators have payed in excess for some zones eg delhi mumbai they will go into loss :surprise:

what will happen to 3g. some operators have payed in excess for some zones eg delhi mumbai they will go into loss

Tough luck for them. Same as the highways - they gave BOT/BOOT licenses for 30 years, and are now talking about actual expressways (i.e limited access, etc). Now what happens to the guy who took out a 30 year license based on some projection for the traffic.

Our mai baap government is very consistent, in that it is totally inconsistent.

consistently inconsistent.

That's the way to go.

mera bharat mahan.

It happens only in INDIA........(Which will never happen) :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

we can hope for another 2G type thing on the map...........????

what will happen to 3g. some operators have payed in excess for some zones eg delhi mumbai they will go into loss :surprise:

I cant get you. What's there to worry about 3g. Throw lights..??!!

agreed - there is no free lunch

airtel will probably hike rates by another 20-25% and the rest will fall in line

According to ET, NDTV etc, the operators will take a hit of Rs 2500 to Rs 3000 crores if roaming rates are nullified.

They will find newer ways to fleece you to recover more than 4 to 6 times the above amount. And out of this, you all know who will get a cut!!!

Yes you guessed it right, Uncle will make some moolah out of this proposal. And No Anna will be able to touch him even with a barge-pole.

Ha Ha and all you folks are getting very happy about no roaming charges and PAN India MNP?

^^^^^

I don't think roaming charges will be removed... It is just the way of getting suitcases from telcos by Uncle, imho....

Even if it was launched, pvt players won't worry much... They will say like "ONE INDIA--ONE CALL CHARGE--ONE RUPEE per minute" or 2.4p/sec by Cartel and 2p/sec by new players... To attract local call users they may launch 50p/min or 1p/sec for a booster pack of value Rs95/month...