Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Honest

Guide: Use Beer To Boost Your Wi-Fi Router!

Guide: Use Beer To Boost Your Wi-Fi Router!

How to amplify your router's radio signal by using a parabolic antenna.

116173_matter.jpg

The main problem with home Wi-Fi setups is the fact that houses have walls. These evil contraptions of brick and mortar attenuate radio signals to a great degree. With enough of them between your router and portable device, the internet connectivity is reduced to crawling about at speeds reminiscent of the student \ shell accounts of yore.

Yes, you can always upgrade to powerful 802.11n routers, which are generally outfitted with stronger radios, but where's the fun in that? Especially when you can use beer to boost the signal strength of your g-spec router instead? You heard that right - this DIY (Do-It-Yourself) guide will show you how to increase your router's coverage with nothing but two cans of the manly elixir, and maybe some chakna for good measure.

Theory Of Operation

The idea is to concentrate the radio waves for a stronger signal by employing a parabolic reflector. This increases Wi-Fi signal gain, thereby increasing its range and giving it enough grunt to pass through walls. It's the same principle used in big-*** military radars watching over the horizon for incoming aircraft and nuclear warheads. To give you an example of how effective this is, here's a

graph obtained from a Wi-Fi monitoring utility that shows a healthy 15% increase in signal strength as soon as I deployed the parabolic booster on my router..

116173_pa_graph.jpg

What You Need

• Two beer cans (soft drink cans will work too, but they don't taste as good).

• Heavy-duty scissors.

• A box cutter, commonly referred to as just a cutter - the kind you cut paper with.

• A roll of cellophane or preferably, double-sided tape.

• 6 packaging wires (the wires used to tie up cables in retail packages). Alternatively, use any thin metal wire of similar length.

• A sidekick, to help you with the final step.

• First-aid kid (just in case).

Step 1

Drink beer. cheerswm9.gif daruze4.gif

116173_pa_step1.jpg

Step 2

Cut off the rims at both ends of each can. Ignore the overkill USMC KA-BAR combat knife; you can use something saner, such as a box cutter.

116173_pa_step2a.jpg

116173_pa_step2b.jpg

Step 3

Use scissors to cut the beer cans along their lengths.

116173_pa_step3a.jpg

Step 4

Cut off thin strips from the ends to get rid of sharp edges. Don't throw the strips away; we'll have use for them later.

116173_pa_step4a.jpg

This is how it should appear at the end.

116173_pa_step4b.jpg

Step 5

Use any reasonably thick rod to flatten the sheets. This is achieved by rolling them against their natural curvature.

116173_pa_step5.jpg

Step 6

Join the two sheets together with cellophane tape, with the shiny sides facing away from each other. Unless, of course, you've signed a sponsorship deal with Vijay Mallya.

116173_pa_step6a.jpg

This is how the end result should appear.

116173_pa_step6b.jpg

Step 7

Strip the insulating material off the packaging twine to get at the metal wire inside.

116173_pa_step7.jpg

Step 8

Wind the leftover aluminium strips around a pen to create two rings. Hold them in place with cellophane tape.

116173_pa_step8.jpg

Step 9

Loop three packaging wires through each ring. Twist them around to lock them in place.

116173_pa_step9.jpg

Step 10

Use a thumb tack, divider, nail gun, Chuck Norris' eyelash, or any other pointed object to punch six holes through the sheets. Each hole near the corners (marked in black) should be 3 cm away from the short edge and 5 cm away from the long edge of the sheet. Punch two more holes, whose locations have been marked red in the figure. Note that these holes will lie exactly inbetween the corner holes.

116173_pa_step10.jpg

Step 11

Push each end of the wire through the holes made in the sheet.

116173_pa_step11.jpg

Step 12

Bend the sheet to form a parabolic shape and twist the wire ends at the back to retain the position, as shown in the second figure. Don't twist and lock the wires running through the middle holes just yet.

116173_pa_step12a.jpg

116173_pa_step12b.jpg

Step 13

Install the parabolic booster by passing the router antenna through the aluminium rings.

116173_pa_step13.jpg

Step 14

Download, install, and run any free \ shareware Wi-Fi monitoring tool, such as this one.

Step 15

Get a friend \ relative to assist you. While he monitors the signal strength in the utility, you need to adjust the length of the unsecured middle wire on each ring. This has to be done because maximum signal strength is achieved when the Wi-Fi antenna is at the correct distance from the parabolic aluminium sheet. Once your sidekick alerts you about the best signal strength as reported in the utility, twist the loose end of the wires to lock the position. The first image shows how to adjust the position, while the second illustrates how to lock it in place.

Note that the parabolic antenna has been dismounted from the router in order to illustrate the above point better. In actual practice, the adjustments and locking should be completed while the parabolic antenna is mounted on the router.

116173_pa_step15a.jpg

116173_pa_step15b.jpg

Congratulations, you have made your own parabolic Wi-Fi signal booster! Now you can enjoy better signal reception even in the remotest corners of your house. Except if you happen to live in a saas-bahu type haveli.

Courtesy : Techtree

Thanks to Nachiket 'therapist' Mhatre

Chalo Bhai Log.....Shuru Ho Jao ! cheerswm9.gifdaruze4.gif

• Like 9

maha jugad............ :Sorprendido: :Sorprendido: :Sorprendido::smartass:

Did any one try this for 3G/EVDO data cards?

first step is so easy that anyone can do it.

I will love to do first step again and again and again and again.

Will hope for best experience.

Wah bhai - Doubel maja

tumblr_l4e6a7cWie1qzyhb6.jpg

Good show! Quite interesting to venture into this. Keep it up with more such Do It Yourself stuffs!Do-It-Yourself.jpg

Step 1

Drink beer. cheerswm9.gif daruze4.gif

Chalo Bhai Log.....Shuru Ho Jao ! cheerswm9.gifdaruze4.gif

पिने वाले को पिने का बहाना चाहिए !!! :P

^^^ many won't go beyond step 1 lol

• Like 3

पिने वाले को पिने का बहाना चाहिए !!! :P

Mujhe duniya waalon SHARAABI na samjho......Mai PEETAA daruze4.gif nahi hoon.....PILAAYEE cheerswm9.gif gayee hai. :P

first step is so easy that anyone can do it.

I will love to do first step again and again and again and again.

Saket Bhai.....you should repeat the first step again and again because woh apne.....Vijay Bhai hain na....wohi Kingfisher waley....Vijay Mallya.....unki bahut help ho jaegi apke first step repeat karne se. :):P

• Like 1

Did any one try this for 3G/EVDO data cards?

My dear friend you have to use KATORA method for Data Cards....Read the below mentioned thread and you will get the idea of INDIAN KATORA being helpful to increase Data Card Speeds. :)

http://www.rimweb.in...h-mobile-speed/

superb ... but it was tricky

I'm having trouble getting past Step 1 :P

This post is banned in Gujarat. I will carry wifi router when in mumbai to check authenticity of the post.

Only first step is logical rest is written by third party as person who was experimenting could not go past first step.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

try to do piracy and get 2 can of beers!

I guess he will have to make do with soft drink cans as of now!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Honest ji, hope my husband should not read your post, otherwise he will start experimenting right away. ha ha ha

by the way its very innovative idea.

^^^^ it's idea tried and tested @ home

Did u tried it urself at home genius ji?

^^^

Mona Ji.....our Genius sir did not post any comments without TESTING.....I'm 100% sure that he might have tested it multiple times. :).

The step 1 only I guess !

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

our doc tried the very first step by himself & rest of the steps were done by the KEEDA within him :P

am i right doc.. :D