Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
alam

Digital Cameras... Everything Under The Sun.

DivX is a technology to encode video efficiently than regular codecs.

For example, if u see audio CDs, there are hardly 20 songs on that, but on a mp3 cd, u can have 200-250 songs of around same quality. like u use winzip to compress the files. similarly, DivX is a compression for videos.

When the video is encoded using regular technology, it takes much big space. eg see the VCDs, around 40-50 mins r there on VCD, that too of low resolution. But if u see DivX movies, they fit 2-2.5 hrs of movie in the same place, that too of high resolution, ie 640x480 or more. The video limitation means the max it can record, maybe because of the space constraint, maybe because of the processing speed of the camera.

If you buy a regular camera with no DivX, then it's better to sacrifice the movie function alltogether, as it is more or less useless (takes too much place that could be used for many photographs instead). But if the recording is in MP4 ie DivX format, u can have plenty of videos as well as pictures, without sacrificing quality of any.

Thanks for the info.

So does the A 710 IS have Divx?And regarding the video limit,can i record multiple small videos which exceeds 8min rather than recording at a stretch?

And please tell me good place to buy this cam from(In Bangalore).

Guys i have decided for Olympus SP 550uz or Sony DSC-H5.

Please tell me if this is good enough, keeping everything in mind as i am first timer.

Hi all iam planning to buy a Digital Camera.After a lot of observations i have finally decided on Canon A710 IS

As iam nooooooob in the camera stuff,iam still a bit confused on my decision.So is there any other better camera than this which i should look for?

My budget is around Rs.13000 MAX .

And please tell me where i can buy this stuff from(in Bangalore).And is grey market stuff reliable?

Shashank you almost snatched these words from my mouth...I was just going to say Canon A710 and here, you already posted.

It is a real gem...going by the reviews and specs (have'nt seen it myself though).

It's strong points are:

1. Optical zoom of 6X (no other compact gives more than 4X)

2. Image Stabilization (i.e. IS) ...in this budget range

3. Canon's DIGIC-II processer which was till now available only in it's SLR models

Over and above these, another plus is that it does not use "Proprietery" Lithium battery packs (very costly), found in some higher-end compacts. A-710 uses 2 AA size batteries so you can always carry an additional pair.

It also has lots of manual settings also to play around with.

I have also decided to buy this model...

Hi dude! From where did you buy that cam?

Guys i have decided for Olympus SP 550uz or Sony DSC-H5.

Please tell me if this is good enough, keeping everything in mind as i am first timer.

To be fair Sony DSC-H5 is much better than Olympus SP 550uz

The problem with Olympus is that eventhough it lacks in the image stabilization part. Sony has better image stabilization

When you are using an ultra zoom, it plays a major part.

Another thing is that Olympus uses XD card which is costly.

The only adv is that it has 18x Optical zoom while Sony has a mere 12 X

my recommendation - If money is not a prob go for Olympus if you can live with occassional blurred pictures due to handshake.

Or buy a tripod also to go along with it

I wud lik to advice u that wateva may b ur need..

go always for a Sony Digicam..

Edited by kunal hemrajani

Well guys i dropped plan for it, as sony H9 launch is just around the corner, so will wait for it.

I'm getting Canon A710IS at a very good price at sifymall.com.

Now, my question is: How safe & reliable is sifymall for online shopping? I mean..regarding credit card safety as well reliability of the goods.

Do they themselves sell everything or they have 3rd party sellers as on ebay and indiatimes?

Anyone with good or bad experiences?

@Dear mods: If you feel that these questions should be posted somewhere else...pl shift it to appropriate the thread.

Edited by amtrag

My recommendation: always buy frm offline shops, ie real shops. in case something goes caput, u know whom u should be contacting, unlike online shops where u have to go thru a system. besides, u'll get a better price in heera-panna/lamington road for almost any electronic item than any online shop can offer.

I'm getting Canon A710IS at a very good price at sifymall.com.

Now, my question is: How safe & reliable is sifymall for online shopping? I mean..regarding credit card safety as well reliability of the goods.

Do they themselves sell everything or they have 3rd party sellers as on ebay and indiatimes?

Anyone with good or bad experiences?

@Dear mods: If you feel that these questions should be posted somewhere else...pl shift it to appropriate the thread.

Visit VT for any camera u want.

There is shop called SAJIDS.

I bought Sony DSC H9 for 19000 with 2GB card when on ebay it was for 25k.

I am sure u will get better deals there.

Where is it exactly. Please give some near landmark.

What about Alfa Electronics, Irla Place, Near Ville Parle.?

Year back my colleague bought Nikon L1. In December'06 I enquired for Nikon L5, @ Rs. 12,500/-. Month back in Surat it was @ 11k/-. In my view Nikon L5 will be the best choice. In canon most of the higher end models has movable display and any such movement may tend to damage. (Of course in Camcoder we have always such display and not that has damaged, but still I would not prefer such mechanical movements)

Edited by Jatin

Year back my colleague bought Nikon L1. In December'06 I enquired for Nikon L5, @ Rs. 12,500/-. Month back in Surat it was @ 11k/-. In my view Nikon L5 will be the best choice. In canon most of the higher end models has movable display and any such movement may tend to damage. (Of course in Camcoder we have always such display and not that has damaged, but still I would not prefer such mechanical movements)

Near MCDONALD VT.

There u have so many shops of cameras, they all sell it for less margin.

Just ask anyone SAJIDs shop.

Ill search number and will let u know.

U can also try JJMEHTA DADAR www.jjmehta.com (they charge lil high though)

actually movable display is really a very helpful feature for me. it allows u to reach impossible areas, like getting a photo from ground level, or reaching to some impossible spot. if that screen is not movable, u'll have to click the pics by guess only. n movables are very sturdy. my cam screen is not even loose after 2 years in operation.

Hi friends,

Finally got my Canon A170IS yesterday for 12K (without B&W)...MRP is appx 20K with 2 yr warranty

Did not get enough time to explore all the features but my first impression is that it's a wonderful piece..with option of full manual controls (incl focus, shutter speeds, ISO etc)...after all, what's the fun if you just have to point and shoot without being able to control any of the parameters.

My initial review:

1. Body looks rugged with all those smooth curves and mix of steel grey colors.

2. LCD is good at 2.5"...in reviews, they say it's not as sharp, but practically it's OK.

3. Optical Image stabilization is terrific...tried with 6x zoom, with and without IS and difference is really noticeable.

4. Macro is too good...shot at distance of 1cm, with the barrel touching the subject...and results were great.

5. Power-up is almost instantaneous..it hardly takes a sec to get ready

@Shashank: what happened to your digicam?

i want to urgently buy a digital camera under rs 10,000/- plz suggest me soon, i am just to leave for holidays,

thanks

i want to urgently buy a digital camera under rs 10,000/- plz suggest me soon, i am just to leave for holidays,

thanks

Canon Powershot A530 is selling for <9K with B&W...much less in grey market. Canon A-series are good quality VFM cameras.

You may also consider sony W55 or sony T-10/ T-20 (ultra slim models)...should be appx. 10K in grey....but I am more into canon, hence my first preference.

Even kodak is very good but never really "R&D"ed them...

I got all the details of Canon 710IS, A640, A630 and Nikon P5000. With this also a good camera S3IS. (6MP, 12X Opt. Zoom)

Anyone using S3IS on our forum, please give share your experience here.

I have finalised A630 and S3IS. The rate available in Surat (without B/W)

A630 - 10,000/-

A701IS - 12,800/-

S3IS - 15,100/-

I think looking at features of S3IS, at 15k this is worth having.

Edited by Jatin

Hi friends,

Finally got my Canon A170IS yesterday for 12K (without B&W)...MRP is appx 20K with 2 yr warranty

From where you purchased A710IS ??

Please updated some review if any users of S3IS or A630.

can any camera expert tell me more about this camera from Fuji

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/12998/fuji..._finepix_s5700/

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07022210fujis5700.asp

I want to know that how's its performance & can i attach more lense to it ?

Edited by anuragz

I recently bought Pentax S7 with 7 mp camera and divx recording from NZ for about Rs9500..................................awesome pics man look at this onepost-9371-1182819208_thumb.jpg

Edited by GSV13

Can I recommend the Nikon D40x ? The cam just rocks man ... it is a DSLR and if u love photography - this one is sure for u ! I plan to kick out a few of my old phones, digicams, handycams and maybe my DAPO connection - and pick her up!!

The photo quality just ROCKS !! and with a Tamron Superzoom lens - I do not need to give an explaination !! lol

cheers

ashok

Just wanted to ask which one would be better - 4AA NiMH rechargeable cell or Li battery. ??

In some camera they use NiMH rechargeable cell and others Li battery. If the use is not heavy - may be once in a month which one shoule we go??

Please suggest based on experience if you people have.

Just wanted to ask which one would be better - 4AA NiMH rechargeable cell or Li battery. ??

In some camera they use NiMH rechargeable cell and others Li battery. If the use is not heavy - may be once in a month which one shoule we go??

Please suggest based on experience if you people have.

Although Li is definitely better..being lighter and smaller, but the cost of carrying a spare (just in case it conks off ) is much more..in case of AAs, you can buy duracell from any shop and continue shooting. Just becoz of this, I avoided any camera with proprietary Li batteries.