Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
harismahesh

Rooting and Custom ROMs

Hi All,

Its been a long time since I posted something because of some tragic incidents happened. So Now I come up with a doubt.

I have an EVO 3D, so if I root, and add a custom ROM will I get updates from HTC ? or like upgrade to ICS.

If anyone have rooted and added custom ROMS, are you guys facing problems like restarting or anything which we all faced for Samsung EPIC.

If you have rooted & on stock ROM ---- No issues, you will get updates

If you have rooted & custom ROM ---- issues, you will not get updates

Most of it depended on ROM chef, If signatures and version are same you may get update alert, but updates may fail to install.

ohh...I was planning to put MIUI Rom....which looks so cool...! but now thinking !

Flash any Custom ROM, and when new update is out, revert to Stock & get new update.

And I have seen one more issue on HTC Incredible 2, That in order to get updates your Phone must be activated & update downloaded on Verizon network. Else update don't show. But you can always download updates on PC & flash them on Phone.

ok...lemme try that..but iam feeling bit scared to step into Custom ROM because of the situations happened in the Last phone..EPIC.. It was horrible.

Remember to Erase Data & cache before & after Updating Custom ROM. Must step.

Have tried Custom ROMs on Windows Mobile. But never on Android. But Have flashed about 40 Handsets of Motorola, HTC, Samsung with different Stock ROMs.

As such I do NOT suggest or recommend any custom ROM.

Edited by kapilthio

@Hari

EVO 3D rooting and custom ROMS is a totally different ballgame due to locked bootloader. Not anything like Epic and general instructions listed above. Be very cautious and know everything that matters before doing anything.

Rooting (S-OFF) means unlocked bootloader. And with unlocked bootloader custom rom can be flashed.

And bootloader once unlocked will remain unlocked unless new bootloader image is flashed.

Edited by kapilthio

@Rajan - I have Rooted HTC Sensation, since it is company phone. But I am bit worried to do for my EVO 3D since its mine ;-)

EVO 3D bootloader is now fully unlocked

there are lot of guides on xda about same

u can install roms , kernels , etc

U cannot get updates if u root , even if u on stock rom , it will download update but when u press install it will give error

Hi,

Since you mentioned that you had Epic, I'm also planning to buy Samsung Epic and need an opinion whether one should go for custom roms. Also what are the pros and cons of booting on a custom ROM.

Hi,

Since you mentioned that you had Epic, I'm also planning to buy Samsung Epic and need an opinion whether one should go for custom roms. Also what are the pros and cons of booting on a custom ROM.

Epic has a lot of options available. But as the GB release is quite new roms are still being refined and being made stable. I feel its better to first enjoy the stock experience albeit with root and removal of all bloatware.

Most roms normally have extensive themes built in with custom colors and fonts which may or may not be to ones liking. Then stability is an issue with most early roms having reboots and such issues.

You can also experiment with various custom kernels which may allow you to overclock or undervolt etc.

Then come various file system ie Stock RFT or EXT4 with their plus and minuses.

So the options are endless and guess as play with the phone u become more and more adventurous.

But always remember do a NAND backup before doing anything and read and read on XDA or similar forums before doing anything

• Like 3

Thanks for the info doc! Much appreciated

I believe, i should stick with the stock in the beginning and may be later, i may opt for a custom ROM.

What i usually do with my phones is..

Root it. Download Rom Manager (Premium), Flash recovery and rom using Rom manager. (Most of my phones are on CM7 though)

Big questions come to mind whats with Contacts and SMS after root. I use titanium Backup (Pro)

Before jumping to titanium Please read about it..

new guys who dont know much about titanium backup.. Do the following to back/restore of sms and contact..

Use Gmail to sync contacts(So the first thing on ur new rom when u sync same Gmail u get ur contacts back)

For sms.. Use Go Sms pro.. There is built in back up and restore option.. Just download Go sms use it as ur default sms to take back up of ur sms. (To restore u need to install Go sms pro again restore and uninstall Go sms pro if u dont want to use it)

major issue in regularly flashing roms is ur apps and apps data (Apps data is something ur progress with apps and games.. Like u plyed 80 stages on angry bird but when u flash new rom and install angry bird again u have to play those 80 stages again- to avoid that use titanium backup.. it takes backup of apps + Data on it..) so after new rom flashed u need to restore using titanium backup and back to where u were..

always take backup of existing rom in recovery.. once u use to it.. u will never think of going back to stock.. that is atleast my experience.. ;)

What i usually do with my phones is..

Root it. Download Rom Manager (Premium), Flash recovery and rom using Rom manager. (Most of my phones are on CM7 though)

Big questions come to mind whats with Contacts and SMS after root. I use titanium Backup (Pro)

Before jumping to titanium Please read about it..

new guys who dont know much about titanium backup.. Do the following to back/restore of sms and contact..

Use Gmail to sync contacts(So the first thing on ur new rom when u sync same Gmail u get ur contacts back)

For sms.. Use Go Sms pro.. There is built in back up and restore option.. Just download Go sms use it as ur default sms to take back up of ur sms. (To restore u need to install Go sms pro again restore and uninstall Go sms pro if u dont want to use it)

major issue in regularly flashing roms is ur apps and apps data (Apps data is something ur progress with apps and games.. Like u plyed 80 stages on angry bird but when u flash new rom and install angry bird again u have to play those 80 stages again- to avoid that use titanium backup.. it takes backup of apps + Data on it..) so after new rom flashed u need to restore using titanium backup and back to where u were..

always take backup of existing rom in recovery.. once u use to it.. u will never think of going back to stock.. that is atleast my experience.. ;)

Thanks for a detailed explanation. I'm wanting to flash a custom ROM for my EVO 4G. However, the following are holding me back:

1) Will flashing effect any of the Reliance settings including EVDO? Any reconfiguration needed to make it work?

2) If I backup app and app-data using Titanium backup, will restoration over the new ROM cause any issues with the App running if the Android versions/revisions change? e.g., 2.3.4 vs 2.3.5. Will restoration take care of app installation too OR should I re-install apps first and then restore using Titanium backup.

-PK

^^^

1) Usually nothing happens on data after flashing ROM only...

2) U need to install titanium backup to understand it.. its not 2 buttons app... It calculate all the scenarios on ur device and gives you option whatever u want to do. ex - u can restore single app + data or u can restore all the apps + data. u can restore 2 apps only and 3 apps+data... U have to understand it. Install it. take back up of one app + data uninstall that app.. and restore using titanium... u will get what i am saying.. :)

Happy Flashing.

Thanks for a detailed explanation. I'm wanting to flash a custom ROM for my EVO 4G. However, the following are holding me back:

1) Will flashing effect any of the Reliance settings including EVDO? Any reconfiguration needed to make it work?

2) If I backup app and app-data using Titanium backup, will restoration over the new ROM cause any issues with the App running if the Android versions/revisions change? e.g., 2.3.4 vs 2.3.5. Will restoration take care of app installation too OR should I re-install apps first and then restore using Titanium backup.

-PK

1) Flashing a rom only should not change the radio settings but some roms may have a new radio built in especially when u are moving to a newer version of android. I remember that when i went from 2.1 to 2.2 lost my EVDO settings but when upgrading to 2.3 nothing happened.

I feel always safer to have your MIN and A key noted down somewhere safe so atleast the phone can be made functional if the worst happens. Also if you can keep a backup of ur settings with QPST or CDMA workshop you can always get it back to working anytime.

2) Titanium backup gives you various options ie back up apps only or apps +data even to backup your homescreens and other system settings. Most of the times you can just restore all the app+ data but after enough flashes sometimes the data gets corrupted and causes crashes , at which stage you may have to start from scratch. But remember to keep the Titanium pro apk on your sd card as u need to install it everytime you flash a new rom to get your apps back.

Restoring system settings excpet Wifi bluetooth etc more often then not causes frequent crashes ( as per my experience) so i avoid it.

You can also restore data with the advanced data restore option in CMW recovery , but may not work all the time.

Thanks for detailed explanations. I hope I don't brick my phone. I think I'll get more confidence in this procedure after the first ROM update !!!