Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

The All-in-one FAQ: Using Foreign Imported CDMA Handsets with CDMA Networks in India

reliance cdma meid

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#1 Arun

Arun

Thinking Bigger, Thinking Better !

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,609 posts
  • Full Name: Arun Kumar D
  • City: Trivandrum
  • Network:Reliance CDMA
  • Handset: - Select Handset -
  • Handset - II: - Select Handset -
  • Other Handset:Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:37 AM

POPULAR

This FAQ is a guide to cover most questions related to using foreign CDMA handsets with Reliance CDMA network (or other CDMA operators in India). If you are looking to use a top-of-the-line CDMA handset (mostly launched in USA) or have a foreign CDMA handset, this is the topic for you.

I apologize for the delay in posting the FAQ topic as I wanted to post it few months ago with many members asking for it. This FAQ topic will be kept updated based on feedback/suggestions received.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using foreign handsets with Reliance CDMA network (or another CDMA network):

Q: Can I use <insert any foreign CDMA handset here> with my existing Reliance CDMA connection?
A: Yes, since MEID/ESN of the handset can be registered with Reliance nowadays, the handset can be made to work with Reliance CDMA using your existing connection.

Q: What is MEID? What is a MEID Registered Handset?
A: MEID means Mobile Equipment Identifier. It is a unique number for each CDMA handset which is generally displayed under the battery compartment. MEID registered handset means the number is entered and accepted as valid in the respective CDMA network&rsquo;s internal network management software. Unless it&rsquo;s registered, it cannot be used on that particular network.

Q: So all I need is to get the MEID/ESN of the handset registered with Reliance to start using the foreign CDMA handset?
A: It isn't easy as that. The handset has to be fed with Reliance network's parameters using programming softwares. There is no straight forward procedure and the procedure varies for different handsets. Some handsets are very difficult to configure and you might even end up bricking the handset if you are not sure what you are doing.

Q: So I should not import the handset here if I want to use a foriegn handset with Reliance CDMA? What is the best way then?
A: Exactly! Please DO NOT import the handset as activating it with another CDMA network requires technical expertise and softwares after the MEID/ESN is registered. It is recommended to buy a pre-configured handset from any good seller in the Buy/Sell forum. You should be able to transfer the connection using a Handset Change Card (HCC) or from Reliance Web World/Mobile Store to the handset which the seller will provide you. Please save yourself the hassles of configuring the handset by purchasing the handset directly from a seller in the Buy/Sell forum. If you are thinking to import the handset to save money, there will not be much saving considering that you have to pay someone to get the MEID/ESN registered and get the handset configured.

Q: How can I find a good seller to buy the handset from?
A: To make is easier for new members who are not aware of the existing sellers with good feedback from buyers, RIMweb is introducing a new seller group where good sellers with a proven record of selling foreign handsets successfully and has excellent feedback from buyers. To know more about the benefits of buying from RIMweb Reputed Seller group, please check this topic.

Q: Is it illegal to configure a foreign CDMA handset with Reliance? Will my connection be misused by someone?
A: Using an MEID registered handset is safe and there isn't much chance of misuse unlike other illegal methods like cloning. The legality in changing the settings of operator locked foreign handset is debatable but certainly not illegal as cloning a handset.

Q: Do I get warranty for the foreign CDMA handsets from the sellers here?
A: Unfortunately you cannot get manufacturer warranty for foreign handsets imported here. There were some incident discussed in the past where members have reported the manufacturer to have given warranty for their handsets, but that may not happen normally. They had to send the handset to US through some relative to avail the warranty. It was also reported that HTC may provide warranty services on imported handsets in India but they charge a flat fee of Rs 1,400 to even inspect the problem. The handset seller may be able to provide limited support (as in acquiring parts or availability of service locations) depending on what the issue is. If you are not comfortable with purchasing a handset without warranty you may consider purchasing a handset directly from Reliance instead. With that said, the foriegn CDMA handsets (mostly imported from US) are of good quality and majority the buyers of foriegn CDMA handsets here have had trouble free experience.

Q: Will I be able to use data (1x or EVDO) in the foriegn CDMA handset?
A: Yes, data (both 1x and EVDO) will work in most handsets posted in the Sell forums. The sale topic will mention if data (CDMA 1x or EVDO or both) will work or not. On imported Blackberry Handsets in CDMA mode, BIS (Blackberry Internet Services) don&rsquo;t work on Indian CDMA networks, however some sellers were able to offer that as well in the past. Data (1x or EVDO) is not yet possible on CDMA iPhone as of now.

Q: What are the data (1x and EVDO) plans (prepaid and postpaid) available that I can use with the handset?
A:
Prepaid: http://www.rimweb.in...-unified-plans/

Postpaid: http://www.rimweb.in...-gb-month-evdo/

Some sellers may offer even better data plans (like retention plan) that are not normally available to the public, you can check that with the seller.

Q: What is the process to transfer my existing connection to the handset?
A: You can use a Hanset Change Card (HCC) to transfer the connection or the seller will give you instructions on how to transfer the MDN at a Reliance Web World / Mobile Store.

Q: If I want to sell the handset to another person what will be the procedure at that time?
A: You may have to seek the assistance of your handset seller for transferring the handset (including reconfiguration the handset data parameters for new user's MDN) to another person when you want to sell it. The seller may charge for that service which is fair. You can clarify such charges by the seller by email/PM when you buy the handset.

Q: Can I register MEID and use the handset with TATA or MTS network in India?
A: MEID/ESN registration with TATA and MTS is not as easy as Reliance, however some sellers do sell handsets registered for TATA, MTS. The handset seller will mention the sell topic whether the handset is compatible with other networks or not.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FAQs for those who already have a foreign CDMA handset to be activated with Reliance CDMA:

Q: I read this topic late and had unknowingly imported an handset from US. What can I do now to transfer my Reliance CDMA connection to it?

A: These are the main steps:

1) Get the ESN/MEID registered (by giving parametrs like MEID or ESN, SPC, Manufacturer, Model, Sub Model)

2) If the Handset allows changing SPC, then change to ZERO (you require to know the SPC/MSL Code to chanage SPC - Generally On eBay.com there are many sellers selling SPC for these Handsets)

3) If SPC cannot be changed then give original SPC for MEID Registration (for Sprint, iPhone, and Blackberry)

4) Restore the original MEID if it is not the same (This VERY difficult procedure and only experts can do this with their professional tools)

5) Change network parameters (NAM1 - MNC - MCC, enter MIN as any number starting with 9, enter MDN as any number starting with 9) and load the PRL to that of Reliance Mobile CDMA.

You should be able to activate the handset after that by transferring your connection using a Handset Change Card (HCC) or transfer MDN at a Reliance Web World/Mobile Store.

Q: Where do I get my handset's MEID/ESN registered or request EVDO activation?
A: You may try contacting the sellers in the Reputer Seller Group. Please find the group members here. You can contact them by PM (Personal Conversation) from their Profile page. Please do not post requests for MEID registration or EVDO activation/configuration on the forum topics/posts.

Q: What is a fair cost to have the MEID/ESN registered?
A: Since there is no defined cost for MEID/ESN registration, the seller may charge a nominal fee for the registration process. A fair cost seen among sellers offering MEID/ESN registration alone (without handset configuration) is around Rs.500 but it will vary depending on the seller.

Q: How do I restore the MEID and configure the handset settings for Reliance CDMA?
A: There is no universal way of restoring MEIDs. The process to restore original MEID will be different for different handsets. Some handsets may restore ESN/MEID with a master/factory reset, however this is not always the case. Some handsets may require only minutes while some handsets will require several hours. You may even end up bricking the handset if you are not sure what you are doing. So the best and easiest way is to get it done by the person who registers your handset's MEID/ESN.

Q: What is a fair cost to get the handset configured over TeamViewer or directly?
A: The cost for the handset configuration will vary depending on the seller, the specific handset model, your technical knowledge, etc. I had discussed with several sellers for their opinion and none of them are willing to commit themselves officially due to various limitations. So you have to contact a seller and request help so that the seller can understand your requirement and give you a custom quote for the help with configuration. You may be quoted less if you are technically proficient to handle some of the configurations from your side provided you have the softwares. Some sellers may be able to configure the handset through TeamViewer (http://www.teamviewer.com) while some sellers may want you to send the handset via courier or deliver directly. So it basically depends on what you and the seller are comfortable with after discussion. Some sellers may offer to configure it for free if they have time to spare.

Some sellers have to depend on third parties for having the MEID/ESN or EVDO activated, so the time required for this procedure will vary which is one main reason why sellers cannot give a commitment. Please try to get it done through sellers in the Reputed Seller Group forum and avoid new sellers with no feedback as I have received few reports of people (on other platforms like quikr.com, olx.in) being duped or ignored after collecting the money for MEID/ESN registration.

Q: Will I be able to utilize the buyercomplaints@rimweb.com email address for sending complaints regarding Reputed Sellers for not registering/activating my imported handset within the time-frame they promised?
A: No, the buyercomplaints@rimweb.com email address cannot be utilized for sending complaints regarding MEID registration or configuration of your imported handset as the process may take longer duration sometimes beyond their control. You need to be patient with them to get it done. This is another reason why it is recommended to buy the pre-configured handset directly from a seller instead of importing a handset yourself.

Q: I am technically inclined, have required softwares and am willing to take the risk. Where can I discuss the steps to configure the handset myself once the MEID is registered?
A: Topics for that purpose can be discussed in this sub-forum. You can find a tutorial for flashing your handset after MEID registration here: http://www.rimweb.in...n-registration/

Q: How do I know if the MEID is registered or not?
A: You can check that by sending SMS with format: GETSTAT RSN# or MEID# from any active Reliance CDMA handset to 53733

Q: What is the fair cost for EVDO activation if I want to use data also?
A: Once again, as mentioned earlier there isn't a predetermined cost for EVDO activation. You may contact any one of the reputed seller to find out the price including configuration of the handset.

Q: How do I generate the NV dump file for my handset/MDN myself to configure EVDO in my handset?
There are no publicly available NV dump file generators as of now. Hence it is not possible for now and you have to depend on your handset seller or any one of the reputed seller as mentioned earlier in this topic to get the NV dump file generated. If you have the NV dump file from the handset seller, then you can upload it to your handset using the steps mentioned in the configuration topic.

Q: My handset seller has already configured the handset with EVDO parameters (using NV dump file) and now how do I request for EVDO activation with Reliance?
A: Your handset seller or the person so registered the MEID should be able to request for EVDO activation of your handset with Reliance. However if they are unreachable you can try requesting from your side at Customer Care (*355/*222/*333), though it is not going to be a straight forward process since most Customer Care personnel are not trained properly on how to handle such requests. If one of them could not help you with taking the request, try asking them to transfer to a supervisor or try calling later hoping you will get through with someone else. Otherwise you can go to a Reliance Mobile Store or Web World to submit the request.

Note: You have to request for EVDO activation only if you have already activated the handset using *228 (and received the Welcome SMS)

When calling Customer Care, here are tips posted by various members:

"Ask Them to check if A12AUTH (A12 Auth) is active on your MDN or not? If They don't understand then tell them its related to EVDO, and simply ask them to take a request for A12AUTH activation."

"You can also them you have an OMH RUIM and have done *228 activation already."

"If they ask which handset you are using, tell them its Samsung Corby or Samsung Galaxy i500, etc."

"If *355 tells that they deal only with data cards, tell them you a Micromax EVDO data card in which you to use the RUIM card. For plan change you can call *222/*333 later after EVDO is activated"

"If they ask for the SIM number, them give them MEID/RSN mentioned in your handset"

"Activation time can vary between 12 - 48 hours and you will get a confirmation call from Reliance asking you to restart your handset. If they ask you to do *228 activation then that means your handset is not activated properly yet."

"Shoot a mail to Netconnect.Broadband@relianceada.com for EVDO activation request. Just mention that you are using Samsung Galaxy POP i559 (Open Market Handset) on Reliance CDMA prepaid network and mention your mobile number. They will take up the request."

"I got evdo activated by emailing to customer care of rcom and appellate authority.
The email address according to circle is easily available on rcom website .
Mail them for evdo activation with your name, mdn, circle and alternate number and it will be done."

I have got EVDO activated at Reliance and uploaded the NV dump file given by the handset seller; how do I check whether EVDO is activated now as the status icon always shows 3G/EV in my handset?
A: Newer handsets always show 3G/EV status icon even if you are connected to 1x. Most custom ROMs have a fix for this and you can try one of them. However if this is a new handset, avoid rooting/custom recovery before making sure EVDO is activated and working.

If you can't try a custom ROM with the fix, then download the "Speed Test" app. Select "Reliance Communications Mumbai" for the server. Start the test and check the ping and download speed. Repeat the test and also try with the closest server location near you. Check the "Results" tab and if the results are all above 500 ms or if the download speed is all below 150 kbps, then you are likely to be connected to 1x and not EVDO.

If you just got the confirmation call, you can try giving it one more day and then check again. If the ping/speed still does not change then you can check it with your handset seller. Make sure *228 says that the handset is already activated.

Note: Avoid applying any OTA updates or rooting/custom recovery before you make sure EVDO is activated.

---------------------------
Please use the [ Posted Image Report ] button (beneath every post) to report an issue with the post/topic to a moderator

#2 shadow

shadow

Advanced Member

• Experienced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Full Name: shadow
  • City: Hyderabad
  • Handset: Samsung Epic 4G

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:32 AM

oh a great guide for new members like us with lots of questions :-) thanks :-)

#3 Honest

Honest

The Observer.....(Observing Everything)

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,830 posts
  • Full Name: Kamal
  • City: Mumbai
  • Handset: LG FWP LSP 340E
  • Handset - II: Samsung Galaxy Chat GT-B5330
  • Other Handset:Samsung Galaxy S Duos

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:42 AM

Very helpful guide for the community. :)
तू हर घड़ी, हर वक़्त, मेरे साथ रहा है,
हाँ ये जिस्म कभी दूर, कभी पास रहा है,
जो भी ग़म हैं ये तेरे, उन्हें तू मेरा पता दे,
कुछ इस तरह तेरी पलकें, मेरी पलकों से मिला दे,

आँसू तेरे सारे, मेरी पलकों पे सजा दे.......

Important Links :

• Lets Ask Arun • When You Will Be Available On Rimweb.in Next

• What's Your "Typing Speed" • Do You Love Rimweb ?

• Discuss here about any doubts and querries about HIV / AIDS

• Forum Buy / Sell Guidelines

• Golden Oldies (Old Is Gold) • Tashan Of Rimweb (MP4 Video Caller Tunes)

~ If you need any help on the forum, then don't hesitate to ask or PM me

#4 hiteshkkk1

hiteshkkk1

RIM Veteran

• Reputed Sellers Group
  • 786 posts
  • Full Name: Hitesh Kakkad
  • City: Jalgaon
  • Handset: Samsung Galaxy S2

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:52 AM

ARUN ji in last second question of faq, i think you forgot to mention no where getstat sms to be sent i.e. 53733.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

#5 mfaiz2

mfaiz2

Advanced Member

• Experienced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Full Name: mohd faiz
  • City: Bangalore
  • Handset: HTC EVO 4G
  • Handset - II: Nokia 2280
  • Other Handset:HTC HD2

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:28 AM

Very good initiative by the forum... 1 more reason to get addicted:p

Sent from my HTC S710d using Tapatalk

#6 prihir

prihir

Advanced Member

• Experienced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Full Name: HIREN KANKHARA
  • City: Jamnagar
  • Handset: Samsung Galaxy S3
  • Handset - II: Other CDMA Handset
  • Other Handset:HUAWEI ETS CORDLESS

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:04 AM

Very nice. Help full for all.

#7 sliver1

sliver1

Advanced Member

• Experienced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Full Name: nandu
  • Handset: Samsung Galaxy Note II
  • Handset - II: Samsung Galaxy S2
  • Other Handset:Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:06 AM

very informative

#8 KapilAgrawal

KapilAgrawal

:) :) :)

• Reputed Sellers Group
  • 838 posts
  • Full Name: Kapil Agrawal
  • City: Jabalpur
  • Handset: Other CDMA Handset
  • Handset - II: GSM Handset
  • Other Handset:Sony Xperial ZR

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:18 AM

Amazing Write Up !!! Simply good for us, not to explain everyone over & over again. Just direct them to this FAQ.

#9 venbab

venbab

• Members Group
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Full Name: Venkatesh babu
  • Handset: Not Listed
  • Handset - II: BlackBerry 8230
  • Other Handset:Motorola Razr M XT907

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:51 AM

Thank you Aurnji for the above informative and helpful writeup.

#10 tarun_kabra

tarun_kabra

Tarun Kabra

• Reputed Sellers Group
  • 909 posts
  • Full Name: Tarun Kabra
  • City: New Delhi / Delhi
  • Handset: HTC One

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:30 AM

Sahi kaha Kapil bhai.
Jabse Reputed Seller bane hai, PMs ka inflow bahut jyada ho gaya tha.
Now most of the PMs will be answered by these FAQs.
:signthankspin: Very Much Arun Sir.
Don't forget to press "+" button, if something is helpful
Have anything to say about me, good or bad, Say it Here

#11 KapilAgrawal

KapilAgrawal

:) :) :)

• Reputed Sellers Group
  • 838 posts
  • Full Name: Kapil Agrawal
  • City: Jabalpur
  • Handset: Other CDMA Handset
  • Handset - II: GSM Handset
  • Other Handset:Sony Xperial ZR

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:32 AM

Sahi kaha Kapil bhai.
Jabse Reputed Seller bane hai, PMs ka inflow bahut jyada ho gaya tha.
Now most of the PMs will be answered by these FAQs.
:signthankspin: Very Much Arun Sir.

Bhai koi sale post hi nahi hai toh PM kahan honge.. Aur Incredible 2 par koi MEID registration etc ki jaroorat hi nahi hai... insert sim & use..

#12 sougatadc

sougatadc

Learning everything

• RIM Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • Full Name: Sougata Dhar Chowdhury
  • City: Bolpur
  • Network:MTS
  • Handset: Not Listed
  • Handset - II: Not Listed
  • Other Handset:Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:46 PM

Really useful FAQ. Thanks Arun ji. +1 for your great effort.

a647.jpg

Don't forget to click iJhzq.png if you find my post helpful

#13 rajanmehta

rajanmehta

You're Unique, Just Like Everyone Else

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts
  • Full Name: Rajan Mehta
  • City: Thane
  • Handset: HTC EVO 3D

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:13 PM

Santa already arrived and started gifting prior to Christmas. :Sorprendido:

Posted Image

Knowledge always much better than material things as it helps in getting better material things. :multi:
Thanks for empowering everyone with accurate, detailed info. :thumb:

#14 inception

inception

RIM Addict

• RIM Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Full Name: Rudradeep
  • City: Barrackpur
  • Network:MTS
  • Handset: Not a Reliance user
  • Handset - II: Not a Reliance user

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:39 PM

Q: How do I know if the MEID is registered or not?
A: You can check that by sending SMS with format: GETSTAT RSN# from any active Reliance CDMA handset.

To which no. we have to send the SMS?

#15 Arun

Arun

Thinking Bigger, Thinking Better !

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,609 posts
  • Full Name: Arun Kumar D
  • City: Trivandrum
  • Handset: - Select Handset -
  • Other Handset:Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:39 PM

:previous: FAQ updated
Please use the [ Posted Image Report ] button (beneath every post) to report an issue with the post/topic to a moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users