Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
gjp

HTC Incredible 2 - Running Slow And Lagging

Hi Friends,

I have an Incredible 2 that is Rooted, S-OFF, and running Android 2.3.3.

My Incredible 2 for the last 1 month or so has been laggy and running slow. It is now getting more so.

Does anyone know of a good App to help diagnose what App or Apps that is causing this issue? Perhaps an App that tracks CPU usage of over a period of time? I've tried the app Usage Timelines, but that only tracks current usage and not over a period of time (i.e. 24hrs).

Or anyother method to debug/diagnose the problem?

I'd rather avoid the painfull manual method of deinstalling all of my downloaded apps and individually reinstalling them to find the culprit, becuase I have over 125 apps downloaded onto the phone.

thanks & regards,

gjp

125 Apps.. Thats great Number... I end up with 10-15 usual Apps, So cant comment.

My Photon once has 250+ apps (after filtering/selecting from 500 apps) and there was only slight decrease in performance comparing now (130 apps) and I hope recent upgraded firmware (198_6 from 154_6) may have more effect than the number of apps, imho... All you need to do is install only apps after thoroughly checking the user comments/star-rating/+1/permissions from AM.. Further you can track the unnecessary apps running in background via GoLaouncher's TaskManager and uninstall it, if it seems like a culprit...

For example, I experienced very laggy performance in my Photon (with 125+ other apps), when I have Amazon-app_store installed (all for that silly 1 paid app FREE everyday offer using fake cc no, etc,,,).. It always runs in BG to check the usage.. After uninstalling that (and its associated FREE paid sw), my Photon was back to the form...

So keep track on bg-running sw and don't use task-killer (it will again and again kill the task which re-appears again and again -- so kills CPU and battery)... Identify the rogue app and just uninstall it...

Edited by KanagaDeepan
  • Like 1

@kanagadeepan

That's interesting, I also have the Amazon App store app installed and have many free apps installed. I'll check to see if that is the culprit, but I've had this app installed for a while and the problem is more recent. I'll also check for bg-running apps. Although Usage Timelines (task process viewing app) does not show many...

Thanks for tip.

250+ APPS OMG I have 5-6 Apps installed only in my S2.

Of the 125 apps you have installed, chances are high that some apps are particularly problematic. Either they are poorly coded, ping the network often and single-handedly drag down handset performance, or perhaps they just won’t quit, starting up when your phone boots and coming back to life like the undead after being killed by task manager software.

To find out which apps are running, as before navigate to Settings > Applications > Running services. If possible, try uninstalling the suspicious software and observe whether performance improves

:detective: A more advanced solution is to install third-party apps to monitor software behavior like Watchdog app which will alert users to oddly behaving software so they can be targeted for elimination :Kill: .

Also there is no point in installing a number of applications since they will keep slowing down your phone. Ideally you should only have those applications installed on your phone which you use regularly and remove the ones that are infrequently used, especially the free ones. I am having around 45 apps on my Galaxy S II / Photon and everything is butter smooth

:thumbup:

Edited by Karthik R

I read somewhere on the Motorola forums that once a day removing of your battery for about 5 minutes will solve many problems. I have more than 180 apps now on my Photon and I do not see any performance drops as yet (maybe due to the powerful dual core processor, also), so I have not had to try this battery pull out as yet. Maybe this is related only to Photon, not too sure abt Dinc2 or any other phone. Try it out, it may help.

Edited by KumaarShah

Hi Ghanshyam

I have over 85 apps downloaded on mobile, but I don't face any problem of slowness. I am using chineese rom, 2.3.4 installed by Kapil. I have installed advance task killer (Rechild) where I have kept auto kill option when screen turns off. I don't find big difference of using task killer until I have been playing big fat games like asphalt or etc. I have uninstalled Chinese apps using root uninstall app. One more important thing I generally buy apps from market than installing apks...

Hope this works out.

Cheers,

Kareem

Sabke Apps ke number dekh kar lagta hai, main toh abhi baccha hun...

^^^

Phone mein apps bhar dala

Toh life jingalala

Pata nahin itne saare apps ka kya karte hai sab.

I don't have a running Internet connection... Whenever I go in wifi mode I download as many possible for offline use.

Can anybody confirm if 600 unlimited internet plan doesn't have NUC? (AP)

friends, I too need help for this.

I have dinc2 & using it since last 1 month. But, since last 2 days, I am getting terrible lag on my call screen. When, I select any number from contact / phone book or 'call history' or dial a new number on main screen, Then, I press Call button & call gets connected only after 12 to 15 seconds. That calling screen with android pic also, comes at that time..

All other applications & functions like sms are working fine..I don't see major lag at any other issue. It is typical only for calling..I have less than 15 apps installed..

Any experience ? Any idea ? Any solution ?

regards,

^^^

Try to wipe Cache from Recovery & disable Fastboot.

^^^

Try to wipe Cache from Recovery & disable Fastboot.

I would surely attempt doing it. But, is there any software available to back up my call history, sms (like in case of blackberry, ipd files), so that I can restore the same in my phone after factory reset ??

Thanks for all the tips.

I think the culprit apps are either Lookout, Amazon App Store, or MailDroid. I'll use WatchDog (thanks Karthik R. !) to see if I can narrow it down.

Anyone have problems with these apps?

I hope it's not MailDroid. My Business email (several accounts) is hosted by Yahoo! Small Business Services and MailDroid is the only App that I have found that truly supports Push Email as implemented by Yahoo! The others (stock emaill app, k-9) seem to use a Pull method (some type of polling method) implementation for new mail messages when working with Yahoo email. Does anyone have a suggestion for another good email app that supports Yahoo push mail?

Yeah, a lot of my apps are free-app-of-the-day from Amazon. I guess I may have to delete those and only download the games when i want to use them. (Luckily once you've purchased a free app Amazon keeps it in your account record even if you delete it for re-download purposes).

thanks,

gjp.

Edited by gjp

Lag while making a call 'problem' solved :) I have used following methods (with help from Kapil) one by one, so can't say, which one actually did the trick, but no harm in doing any of this method, I think.

1) Battery Pull > Insert battery > don't start handset > press volume down + power button > go to recovery > wipe cache partition > restart the phone.

Nothing improved after this, then tried (2) below.

2) Battery Pull > Insert battery > don't start handset > press volume down + power button > go to recovery > advanced > wipe dalvic cache > restart the phone. Nothing improved after this, then tried (3) below.

3) Enabled 'Fastboot' in my phone. goto Power > Fast boot > enable (green yes tick mark). AND it did solved the problem for few minutes. I could make regular calls without any lag. However, after 1/2 hr same problem reappeared.

Lateron, I decided to factory reset the handset & found out application to store my call logs & SMS. (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.zegoggles.smssync&hl=en). You can d/l from AM freely. there is another application by Ritesh Sahu as well, but you need to install 2 apps (1 for call logs & 1 for sms). call logs app from later, seems to have a limitation that it could only back up last 500 call records.

With SMS Backup + there are no limitations (except backing up MMS, which is mentioned over there.) Also, this app does back up of both SMS & call logs directly to your gmail a/c with special lables like sms & call logs.

Install SMS Backup + & back up all your sms / call logs as a first measure.

Later on, copy all contents of memory card on computer (as such factory reset did not wiped any data from memory card).

Note down MIN number of the handset.

Factory reset by going into boot menu.

Then, reinstalled the app SMS back up+ & connect with your gmail account. Then, restore your call logs / sms back.

Entire process won't take more than 30 minutes. Due to lack of time, I have not been able to write this process with thorough details, but above application is very easy to use & no expert guidance needed. For factory reset, you need to be just careful, that's it..

All installed apps will be wiped off from the device once you do factory reset, data on memory card is not disturbed.

This has solved the problem finally.

So Dinc2 also seems to have almost the same type of problem as Photon 4G!!!

In Photon 4G, the phone restarts - the solution here is almost the same as above - do a factory reset and then all's well...

^^^

Not really. I have never faced such problem with my Inc2. Mukesh Ji (Silent_god) is using Verizon stock ROM on his phone. His MEID is registered.

All phones are good and very few have some genuine issues. It depends over the user (Like 150 apps). :P

^^^

I had the restart problem initially (and it was quite bad), then Hetalbhai advised me this factory reset and after that, no probs till date. Even today, I have almost 150 apps or maybe more on my phone. My feeling is that what is the harm in loading 150 or 250 apps as long as the phone's processor is capable of crunching it. I am not a techie, I may be wrong. Correct me, if so.

^^^

Technically Dual core is nothing but "Single Core + Hyper-threading". Hence for 1 Ghz Single Core its 1 core having 1 Ghz speed (Flops per Second). 1 Ghz Dual core its 2 Core having total 1 Ghz speed, But running two threads, Which is also called Hyper Threading.

Theoretically & Logically Dual Core have to be faster than Single core of same speed, But it depends over the OS & applications running.

Now the question is The OS & Applications. I have Windows 7 on i3 which is supposed to be Dual core (Task Manager shows 4) but when I do video encoding only 50% processor is used. Reason is the Application, I have to manually change settings & hence I can get the App to use full power of processor. Most applications & OS support Hyper threading but not Dual Core processors.

So even if your Phone is dual core, It DOES NOT mean its faster than Single core processors. Example --- NFS (Full Version) runs best on Droid 2 Global (1.2 Ghz) > Droid 2 (1 Ghz) > Droid X2 (1 Ghz Dual Core). Technically it should be best on X2, Which is not.

imho..

• Like 1

I recently saw evo design. It seems sense 3 consume too many resources and evo design is far slower then my photon. Comparison wise Free ram in photon is more than evo design.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Photon has more RAM + Its dual channel. It has to be faster.

Hardware wise Motorola Phones are always the Best, But Software & support is bad.

My feeling is that what is the harm in loading 150 or 250 apps as long as the phone's processor is capable of crunching it. I am not a techie, I may be wrong. Correct me, if so.

Absolutely no harm whatsoever. You can install 500 or even more provided your phone has the required storage capacity.

It's a myth that more apps installed will make the phone unstable. It's either a poorly designed buggy app OR some issues in the custom skin designed by every phone manufacturer that's the real culprit. Problem arises in finding the offender. It's similar to finding needle in a haystack or trial and error.

To avoid that Dhundhate Rahe Jaoge Syndrome, most people take the easy way out of installing less apps!!! Factory Reset is also part of that magic remedy. Start with a clean slate and then again within a short time, back to square one because the innovation always continue.

That's Android Fragmentation simplified for you! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Very Well said Rajan bhai.. Agree with you !!!