Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
mujeebrehman

Tutorial: How To Install Custom Recovery For Motorola Photon

Guys with photon (or any other phone) I would really recommend you take a backup of your phone so that if something goes wrong we can restore back to point were things were good :Sorprendido:

It never hurts to take a backup and is best for people who do a lot of experimenting with their phones as it is always better to be prepared than being sorry!

You can now flash the bootstrap ClockworkMod Recovery package on the Motorola Photon 4G. You of course have to have your Photon rooted (if you need to root it still you can go to this article). Along with root access you will need an AC adapter with the USB charging cable.

Photon 4G ClockworkMod Recovery Installation Instructions:

1. Download the recovery file (Download Link)
  2. Connect your Photon to the computer via USB
  3. Put the .apk you downloaded on your phone
  4. Unplug your phone from the computer
  5. find and install “Bootstrap_signed.apk” (the file you just put on the phone)
  6. After install is done run the application
  7. Click “Install Recovery”
  8. Accept the Superuser request
  9. After completed, plug your Photon 4G into the wall to charge
  10. Verify that your phone is charging from the wall
  11. Press “Recovery Boot”
  12. Your device will now reboot into CWM Recovery (be patient it is slow)

Source

I have also attached the recovery apk incase we are unable to download it at a later date.

Bootstrap_signed.apk

• Like 4

^^ Thank you for this.was thinking about a backup for my photon just a few hours back.

Tapatalk'd from Photon4G

Great going, Mujeeb... Keep it coming... +1

I needed this badly, Thanks Mujeeb

Thanks for the file.

I am facing a small problem, i am able to go to recovery once the phone is completely booted,

But when i try entering to android recovery from power down state (by pressing power ON and Volume down and then go to android recovery) i am getting a screen with White triangle and exclamation mark with green android next to it.

I am not getting any option to enter to recovery mode.

Pl help

:previous:

Sorry did not see your post earlier. If you still have this issue pm me I will try to sort it for you.

I have used the custom recovery success fully many times and today when i was trying to recover back to a backup i had created few days back it said recovery successful, then i selected reboot now option.

But after that it is not coming out of the Motorola boot screen.

I have one of the recovery image file in my sd card, is there any option by which i can recover my phone and data back ?

Akhilesh, man I am not sure what went wrong with you. For me and others who I know use this recovery over photon it works like a charm. Now I would suggest you do a battery pull and try again to get in to recovery. If you are successful try flashing the working backup. Finally If it too fails wait for sometime once you boot your phone at times it takes a while to get past the boot screen. But if does not boot up with say 5 to 10 mins than I guess rsd is the only option left but still you can flash the backup you have on the sd once you do the rsd.

Warning :- Please contact your seller before you do the rsd on this phone and take his advice over this current situation. If you are up to doing it yourself read about the procedure carefully before you proceed as it can brick your phone and turn it in to a paper weight.

You will need the prl file NV dump file for the data and calls working. Also you will need to feed the min manually if you do not have the min I would seriously recommend not to proceed with rsd. On the tools end you will need cdma workshop, Motorola drivers to get started. Also make sure your battery is fully charged before you start this process. Visit this link to get a brief idea about using cdma workshop and you will get the prl and cdma workshop exe there. For NV dump you will have to get it from your seller.

Hope your issue gets resolved soon.

• Like 1

Finally i was able to start using my phone back. Thanks to Parin for all the help .

I think i now know what went wrong also.

When i created the last backup my phone did not have sufficient free space (either i ignored the warning given by cwm recovery or it did not warn me) but finally it said backup was created. But my usual system+data backup size is around 900mb but this backup file was only 300mb in size(may be because of no space) . Without seeing that i tried to recover the 300mb back up which put me in continuos boot loop. Now i have updated with new Sbf. And have learnt lot if lessons during my phone recovery :-) . Thanks again to Parin and mujeeb. Now only small issue left us of frequent EVDO disconnect (about which parin had warned me before itself) hope to get that also resolved soon :-)

Man if you had got it from parin you should be like 100% in chilax mode. Parin is one of the best when it comes to after sales and his technical knowledge is way too good. If you had contacted him earlier he would had solved it way back then. Even I have leaned a hell lot of things from him and still get something to learn from him every now and then. Now please keep in mind to make a note of your min. It will save a lot of trouble in future if you have it handy.

I have a mopho which i use for gsm. and i need some doubts :

1. International Roaming is showing in my pull bar. How to get rid of it.

2. What should be taken care for rooting and recovery.

3. Which custom rom is bet and stable.

Plz reply.

^Harishbhai Can u done u r phone in to gsm only mode

Yes, I am into GSM mode only. But everytime I am getting sprint activiation.

1. Also how to enable airtel mobile data in photon.

2. Also getting 1 Reboot everyday.

^ ^ For Airtel gprs on Photon -

Ensure that you have marked the option to allow GSM data in Wireless & Network Settings > Mobile Networks

Add the Access Point Name airtelgprs.com and select it.

ok...but there are many other options. So can you please guide me what all to be done ?

You are using the GSM part only right. That'll be easy.

Have you set the preferred network mode to Any GSM / UMTS or Automatic?

ok...but there are many other options. So can you please guide me what all to be done ?

In my photon I had to create the apn with some help from customer care.so I would suggest you also do the same.and there is a very simple way to get rid of the annoying sprint activation

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

I set to GSM/UMTS. Now I got the Airtel GPRS. But how to get rid of sprint activation everytime i restart ?

Follow one click rooting method from xda to root photon. It's best and u don't need to copy on phone n use root explorer.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk