Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
ami1

iPhone 4 CDMA Stops making/receiving calls for 4 - 5 hours every few days

I am facing a really strange problem in iPhone 4 CDMA. Inspite of various efforts by me & Gaurav, we are unable to understand the source of this problem. Request Gurus to please enlighten. Details are given below:-

On getting the phone from Gaurav I asked web world to transfer my number and after dialling *228 it started working for calls & sms. However, after 2 days i noticed that its not making or receiving calls. On dialing any number it instantly says disconnected and incoming callers hear "phone is switched off" message. It starts working after 4-5 hours or a day. Then it stops again after 2-3 days.

• Signal bar is full and its NOT an AKEY issue as even after entering the correct akey it doesn't start working. And even if i don't enter akey it will start working on its own after some time.
  • Gaurav even changed the ROM to stock ROM (from earlier Chinese ROM) as suggested by Genius but the problem reappeared after 2 days.
  • Its on iOS Version: 4.2.8 (8E401). Phone shows the following: PRL: 212 ERI: 5 MDN: 000 000 4660
  • Gaurav knows about the baseband etc issues and has ensured that baseband is not upgraded changing the ROM.
  • Since it works sometimes, so we think it shouldn't be a MIN, PRL or Network related issue other wise it wouldn't work at all. It doesn't seem to be a hardware problem as phone's new & hw issue would probably be permanent or at least degrading quickly to a permanent problem. Couldn't find any one with similar problem on the internet even (except this 1 topic - but it doesn't have much details)

Which leaves us with no other suspect for this problem. I am at my wits end waith this thing. :(

Any advice resulting in fixing this will have a Sixpack of Kingfisher (or your favourite brand) being delivered to your doorstep. :)

If you need to know any other technical details then either me or Gaurav will post it here. I think I have included everything.

seems a prl issue to me

• Like 1

Does this always happens at the same location/locality , did you try to call from a different location while roaming and have you experienced the same problem ?

@dkaile: wouldn't PRL issue be there all the time ? But will check with Gaurav if we can reload PRL just to be sure.

@enliste: Have tried from 3 different locations. Also, once its stops then during the next 4-5 hours it doesn't work even if i am in different location

Amitabh ji! there was a similar issue long ago.. in a phone i purchased for my staff.. actually it happened.. for 4-5hours.. it was virgin vkewl or something.. it was a peculiar issue.. actually it latches to network but doesnt registers to network.. n once it registers it worked flawlessly.. unless it looses network fully.. d solution was switching to airplane mode and den back to normal n see that network area name comes immediately, if i doesnt it will say its switched off n do a network recycle again!

though a temporary solution.

regards

PRL updated by Gaurav twice, but same problem again after 4-5 days of working ok. (Its currently showing PRL 212 ERI 6)

Toggling Airplane mode also doesn't help.

PRL version should be 10005

• Like 1

10005 PRL is Modded PRL by me Removed International 1x Roaming

5 is Actual PRL from Reliance for 1x + EVDO

Load 10005 PRL and try

• Like 1

Finally, some hopeful advice. Thanks a lot guys. We'll check and get back.

I really hope it solves the problem.

My wife & daughter insist that I have bought a Chinese iphone clone and are not ready to believe that i am techie enough to make out that its an original apple product ! And they are spreading this rumour to every friend and relative :(

EDIT: could someone link me to the 1005 PRL. Am getting many search results and don't want to download the wrong file now.

Edited by ami1

This file has both 1x & EVDO 1005 Prl.

PRL.rar

• Like 1

Thanks Kapil. Got that.

Gaurav's out of town so can someone give me a link to PRL update process for ip4 cdma ?

Can CDMA Workshop (paid) be used to do it ?

^^ just mailed you - its simple

• Like 1

^^ just mailed you - its simple

OK, I did exactly as per the instructions and am 100% sure I am doing it right. But when i check the PRL version after wards I still get 202 !

I renamed the Reliance-HSD-Local-10005.prl to 310VZW.prl and overwrote the file in iphone folder : /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone/Zeppelin_US.bundle\

Then edited the carrier.plist to PrlPushFlag as true and overwrote that on the iphone (same folder as above). Rebooted and then changed the PrlPushFlag back to false.

One point to note is that the tutorial said I would not have service after 1st reboot untill i change the PrlPushFlag back to false and reboot. BUT my phone kept showing signal bars even after 1st reboot (though its not making/recieving calls).

I checked even through the ssh cmdline that files are being changed - both date/time stamps and size etc are changing.

But the bloody problem is still there

Any idea what to check ?

I checked that this is a verizon ip4.

I also tried the 1x prl once to see if that would show me a different PRL version but its also showing 202

EDIT:

I understand that commcenter patch is required for prl update ? Is that correct or is it only for OS5 (i am on 4.2.6)

How do i check if the phone has commcenter patch applied ?

Edited by ami1

OK, Gaurav has finally managed to somehow patch the commcenter and its working now.

Finally we have made success in setting up ami1's iphone ...

Root cause to the problem is the Chinese Rom, as after loading that rom it writes prl to 16 locations and i had too look out for those locations and finally was able to change the prl over his iphone ...

Now i dont see any problem coming in this regards.....

• Like 2

^^^ gr8! u must be feeling super relieved! :D

it feels d same when u make a dead phone alive!

yay!

Mehnat karne walon ki haar nahi hoti. :)

Keep it up buddy..... +1 :)

Gaurav's really our iphone Guru now !

I had started to think its never going to work and actually asked Hetal bhai to send me ip4s so that i could get my family off my back.

Definitely needs Genius's Big Round Seal of Approval.

Root cause to the problem is the Chinese Rom, as after loading that rom it writes prl to 16 locations and i had too look out for those locations and finally was able to change the prl over his iphone ...

Now i dont see any problem coming in this regards.....

Sure Garav this one is for you - you deserve it for sticking to that and solving problem from the root.

post-24516-007472500 1282196127_thumb.jp

I have noticed that PRL is written and stored in many locations once we change for one main in :

/System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone/Zeppelin_US.bundle.

i have read they rest all are copies or links pointing to same file, but thats not true if you have manually changed and corrected the problem.

keep it up buddy ....

Thanks shanusmarty , kamal ji , ami1 & genuis ji ....

Genuius ji , the default location is what u have stated, but i loaded prl many a times but failed ... root cause was the Chinese rom which all together changes location of the carrier bundle for which i had to manually update prl in each an every location and finally got luck....

Edited by gauravjc

Does anyone know if the new gevey sum unlock for gsm on ip4s sprint linked by Hetal will allow 3G data also or only gsm voice ?

BTW, I am really tempted to give Gaurav a heart attack by saying its stopped working again ! :)

same problem here, can anyone tell me where to post prl, i mean in which folder should i paste it,

my phone iphone cdma 6.0.1 jailbreaked registered, patched, written mdn min, etc but cant make calls prl issue i think please guide me to do it, thanks in advance

hello sir

im having iphone 4 cdma jailbreaked to 6.0.1, verizon, want to use it with kerala reliance cdma,

did so many things but somthing is missing, cant able to make calls,

il tell u what all i did,

im having an iphone 4 cdma from verizon, i want to use it with reliance,

phone running on ios 6.0.1 evasion jailbreaked,

added appleflasher.com/repo and commcentre patch added, cricket bundle added,

##626 added spc, added mdn, added min,

edited the prl, i got a reliance prl from google searching, i named it as, carrier.prl then i used iphonebrowser and pasted it to library/carrier bundle/ appleflasher cricket bundle, and replaced the carier prl with my renamed reliance prl,

then i edited plist edited to true then replaced it, restarted the phone, still no service was showing, then i again replaced plist file with \false' boolean, again restarted,

now phone showing signals with cricket logo, but cant make calls, i tried calling *#5005*4357# but prl version is not showing,

can anoyone help me to do it properly, i dont want a paid service, i just need call and text, so i know there r some free solutions, so pls guide me to the rest of the process, thnx..

im having few confusions with putting prl file into which folder etc etc, and abt the prl file renaming, where to find correct reliance prl file, so pls tell me all those things pls, thanks

got few more informations in this case,

i clicked general about carrier and i got prl info which shows prl 1, eri 6, msid 201... etc etc

can anypone telme whats the error in getting it worked???

got few more informations in this case,

i clicked general about carrier and i got prl info which shows prl 1, eri 6, msid 201... etc etc

can anypone telme whats the error in getting it worked???

where exactly to paste the new carrier ??

someone saying its replace the carrier.prl in vzm folder, someone saying zepllin us bundle folder, some saying cricket appleflasher bundle folder, some saying have to replace prl in all folders because im on higher ios 6.0.1 ,

do u have a clear idea on it ??

which folder ??

and abt the plist file also..... pls guide me... thnx

pls help urgent, same problm 6.0.1 vzm phone