Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Honest

Ubuntu comes to Android

Ubuntu comes to Android

Ubuntu has come to Android phones! Before you go, ‘Does that mean I can boot Ubuntu on my Android phone? Or, does that mean I can get dual booting on my Android phone?’ let's clear out a few things. Canonical has announced Ubuntu for Android and the full scale deployment will be displayed at the Mobile World Congress. Here’s what you’ll get to see. If your Android has Ubuntu installed, you can boot the Ubuntu operating system onto your monitor every time you connect the smartphone using a dock. On its own, the OS is neatly hidden under the hood, so when you’re using your phone, you’ll have your regular Android stuff loading up. It’s somewhat similar to what Motorola has tried in the recent past, with their Webtop accessories, but this is on a more universal level.

ubuntuforandroid_221128538757_640x360.jpg

Also, whenever your phone is connected, it’s not a stripped down version of Ubuntu that you’ll get to see, but, it will be the exact same thing that you see on a desktop running Ubuntu, with no compromises, whatsoever. Browsers like Chrome, Firefox and their Unity UI, everything will be available on your desktop. What’s interesting to note is that your core details, including SMS, voice calls and contacts will be shared between the two, so there’ll be some good amount of consistency.

If you’re having a desktop PC running Windows, Ubuntu will also be able to boot into a virtual environment, which may be of great help to a lot of companies. They’ve also managed support for connectivity options, including, USB, HDMI, Google Docs and 4G LTE, so you can have seamless interaction between your phone and your desktop. So, what’s the limitation? Of course, the most obvious one will be the minimum spec requirements – Ubuntu will, at a minimum require a multi core smartphone. Dual cores are already existent and quad cores are coming soon, so if you’re buying one of the top-end smartphones in the near future, there’s a lot you can look forward to. What do you guys think about Ubuntu being announced for Android?

Courtesy : Tech2

Thanks to Karan Shah

• Like 7

Wow ! This is great news.

Considering that most phones are getting phenomenal processing power these days, this was inevitable. It seems much better than the Motorol Atrix WebTop implementation of ubuntu.

Have recently been running Ubuntu on Nexus S, but it requires a lot of hacks. This would be much better / hassle free and quite useful when you don't have your laptop handy.

post-3171-0-69135300-1329910876_thumb.jp post-3171-0-77208000-1329910886_thumb.jp

Edited by ami1
  • Like 5

A closer look at Ubuntu For Android... ( Video by a Canonical Employee)

• Like 1

Ubuntu OS Developer Preview Now Available For Nexus Devices

ubuntu-tablet-and-phone-side.png

As promised, Canonical has released the developer previews of its Ubuntu smartphone and tablet OS for Nexus devices. Available now for flashing on Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi+3G), Nexus 4 and Nexus 10, the preview images can be downloaded now from Ubuntu website.

There are two ways to flash these images, either you can use the method given by Canonical on the Ubuntu website, which requires access to Ubuntu or if you have a Custom recovery on your Nexus device, you can simply flash ZIP files using that.

If you want to use Canonical’s method, head over here and follow the instructions.

If you want to use a custom recovery, read on.

First download the respective files for your device -

Device Zip: manta (Nexus 10) | grouper (Nexus 7) | mako (Nexus 4) | maguro (Galaxy Nexus)

Phablet armhf zip: Download (Required for all devices)

• Reboot your phone/tablet in custom recovery

• Install the device zip downloaded earlier.

• Install the Phablet armhf zip

• Reboot and you are done

What to expect after flashing Ubuntu OS:

• Shell and core applications

• Connection to the GSM network (on Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4)

• Phone calls and SMS (on Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4)

• Networking via Wi-Fi

• Functional camera (front and back)

• Device accessible through the Android Developer Bridge tool (adb)

• Like 6

Trying it now on Nexus 7....

Installed on my nexus 4 but had to roll back to STOCK JB as most of the things are broken. Only thing working is phone calls and WiFi. Sms doesn't work at all for me don't know for others. Probably we need to wait for some more time to have it as daily driver. But never the less its good to see the developments in ubuntu :D I am sure we would have it as daily driver soon.

Sent from my HTC Butterfly using Tapatalk 2

• Like 3

Thanks yogesh ji, I thought of flashing it on my Galaxy Nexus, I think now I have to wait for next release.

Plus one to both you and rajan ji...

Sent from my Razr MAXX using Tapatalk2