Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
basant.motlani

WiFi Range Extender

dear friends,

I am having unlimited airtel broadband with wifi facilty.I want some item which can extend wifi range to my brothers house which is 40-50 ft away from my home. pls help as we can share heavy bill in 1 connection.

You can try any of these cheap solutions..

TP LINK 2.4GHz 8dBi Indoor Omni-directional Antenna Rs 349 >> http://www.ebay.in/i...3#ht_4512wt_990

2.4GHz 8dBi Directional Dish Antenna for WIFI adapter high signal gain Rs 599 >> http://www.ebay.in/i...3#ht_4056wt_905

If above do not work as desired, then buy an additional router which has WiFi range extender mode capability, configure it as such and put it somewhere in between the house.

• Like 1

Gr8 finding. +1 for you. If we have for DTH, it will be useful. Is there any possibility? Also, is there any Blue-Ray compatible device for transmitting & receving TV signals? (sorry off the topic)

Ask your brother to get a Wireless Router with dual Antenna. Set it in Bridge AP mode. Use the 8dBi Dish Antenna as suggested by Rajan bhai. Try to have "line of sight" if possible.

Settings of your router (running AirTel BB) will remain as is. Everything needs to be done at your Brother's end, except you may need to move your router to get line of sight.

Thanks a lot mr. kapil and rajan ji for such help. I really appreciate your knowledge.

I too have an query here I am shifting my desktop pc from my living room to my bedroom. However the WIFI router is still in the living room. Now I understand that I would need a WIFI adapter for desktop to connect to the Wifi network however I get a very week signal in my bedroom (experienced through connecting cell phones from bedroom to wifi network).

So i am in dilemma to chose the right wifi adapter i am confused about getting one with internal or external antenna as I am not sure if it will really make any difference. Also should i go for one with 150 mbs or 300 mbs speed in standard n. Following few are the once I have shortlisted.

TPLINK TL-WN727N

TP-Link TL-WN722N with antena

Netgear WNA1100 Wireless N150 USB LAN Adapter

and finally this one looks really promising EDUP MS8512 300 MBPS wifi adapter

Please provide your inputs!

^ ^ ^

TP-Link TL-WN722N with antenna looks better among the ones you shortlisted. EDUP may also be good but never heard of that, So can't say.

300 mbps is the rated maximum theoretical bandwidth for N standard. In gets upto this speed by bonding 2 WiFi channels together thereby doubling the bandwidth. That's theory but in real life, sustained speeds generally don't cross even 50 mbps. Also for 300 mbps bonding to happen, your router should also be supporting the standard. There will be increased chance of interference with other wireless devices due to 2 channel usage.

300 mbps N & 150 mbps N are like SATA I, II and III standard for hard disks. 1.5, 3 and 6 Gbit/s theoretical max speed, but that's at the controller level. Your normal hard disk will gasp even to cross 100 mbps for actual writing.

So 300 mbps N does not matter much practically. You can safely go with 150 mbps.

• Like 1

If you don't have to copy files over wi-fi, even 54Mbps is good enough. One should give importance to ping Latency. Ethernet its <1ms, while WiFi its upto 6-10ms. Latency matters a lot if you do lot of Voice or video calls online.

• Like 1

^ ^ ^

TP-Link TL-WN722N with antenna looks better among the ones you shortlisted. EDUP may also be good but never heard of that, So can't say.

So 300 mbps N does not matter much practically. You can safely go with 150 mbps.

Was really looking forward from input from you sir and yet again you do not disappoint me. The best quote here was Also for 300 mbps bonding to happen, your router should also be supporting the standard.That rules out N 300 completely. All I am concerned is about the range and not the speed as all I am going to use it for getting access to the network for internet connection. Again sir +1 for the explanation I don't think it can be explained any better.

If you don't have to copy files over wi-fi, even 54Mbps is good enough. One should give importance to ping Latency. Ethernet its <1ms, while WiFi its upto 6-10ms. Latency matters a lot if you do lot of Voice or video calls online.

Kapil mere bhai you are right about b and n standard. Now what do you say about N150 TP-Link TL-WN722N with antenna

can this be used for basically everything what you need for a pc when connected to you home internet like voip calls video streaming etc.

^^^

I would not suggest a device with Internal Antenna like Rajan Ji already did. External Antenna is must.

And you can not compare Wifi signal received on Mobile Phone to a Laptop or Desktop. Mobiles are designed to consume less power, hence lower signals.

Bhai I asked you about N150 TP-Link TL-WN722N with antenna which is indeed with antenna. However point taken and I would rather settle with N150 TP-Link TL-WN722N with antenna i hope it will suffice my needs.

Sure it would. Go for it. TP-Link products are good.

Will surely post my review once I get hold of it and use it for a few days....

In the cross fire,my querry is las attention.

s08102901.jpg

Any feedback on wireless DTH signal Transmitter / Receiver? (Earlier I had a transmitter attachment for VCR's AV. By tuning the TV we can get the TV signals upto 100 metres). Something similar to that availability is my search.

^ ^ ^

DTH is digitally encrypted transmission. So there are very few products available to transmit it wirelessly. And what's available are also with it's own constraints and costly. Generally you can't watch two different channels on two different TV through this mode. Many of them don't have Digital Tuners inbuilt. Even where they have, it won't work because of proprietary encryption standard deployed by your DTH provider in India. Every one has it's own. It's not Inter Operable with devices other than the DTH providers.

Products currently available MAY work for viewing analogue part of TV channels from the digital feed. (Watching two different channels on two different TV's). OR watching the same Digital TV channel on two TV's at the same time wirelessly.

Read this article, it will give you a better technical idea. How to Choose a Wireless Cable TV Extender >> http://pcpowerzone.c...wtochwitve.html

And the products are like this >> http://pcpowerzone.com/rfwhd5001.html

• Like 1

Thanks Mr. Rajan.

You got it right - from single DTH, to transmit signal to next room TV and to view different channel only what is my prime look out for. :Read:

Also have a look at this. It should boost the range with almost no cost.

anybody able to extend the range ?

anybody able to extend the range ?

I tried the windsurfer...with the cardboard and the foil..but did not seem very effective. But I guess a can which would have more density may give some minor improvement.

I am planning to do the 'can' trick but not able to find the wire required for that

I am planning to do the 'can' trick but not able to find the wire required for that

Check this link...u might not require wire to fix it.http://mrintech.com/homemade-wifi-booster-extender-for-boosting-wi-fi-signal-strength-using-beer-beverage-can

Excellent ! Will try as soon as I empty a can.

I tried. There is no effect. It doesnt help in anyway, waste of labour in cutting the can.