Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Karthik R

Goodbye Android Market, Hello Google Play

google-play.png

The Android Market is dead

:Kill:

Google has just announced that the Android Market is out, at least in name, replaced by the more wide-reaching Google Play. With the rebranding, Google hopes to showcase that the Android Market has grown beyond the application marketplace the current name entails. They’ve since added Google Books, Google Music, and Movies to the foray, and wanted a way to consolidate those efforts under a single brand name.

Starting today, customers who visit the Android Market website will begin to be redirected to the Google Play store. Those feeling adventurous or simply wanting to check out what Google Play has in store for you can point your browsers to

play.google.com to check out the new branding. Though the branding certainly closely mirrors what is currently found on Google’s Android Market web front, the new Google Play focuses on the other services Google features, since most people who visit Google’s web store are likely there to search for music, movies, or books.

The Google Play change will occur on the web version of the market today, and will be pushed out to Android smartphones and tablets over the next week or so.

Your experience with Google Play will also vary depending on where you’re located. quoting the

Official Google Blog:

In the U.S., music, movies, books and Android apps are available in Google Play. In Canada and the U.K., we’ll offer movies, books and Android apps; in Australia, books and apps; and in Japan, movies and apps. Everywhere else, Google Play will be the new home for Android apps.

Google now seeks to promote the change by offering a sale on 25 popular apps. The price of these apps, mostly games, have been cut to 49 cents and includes Endomondo Sports Tracker. Among the games that are now available at 49 cents are EA's Dead Space and Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, N.O.V.A. 2 from Gameloft, Full Fat's NFL Flick Quarterback, and Asphalt 6 : Adrenaline from GameLoft. For those who like to dabble with third party virtual QWERTY keyboards, the SwiftKey X Keyboard is also 49 cents. For a complete list of apps on sale, visit this link.

This rebranding will however be not limited to only the web version but will make its way onto Android based mobiles/tablets pretty soon as well.

Android market, Google Music and Google eBook store had already replaced with Google Play store. For example, Android market redirects to Google Play Store, Google eBook store redirects to Google Play Book Store and Google Music redirects to Google Play Music Store.

Since Google Music and Google ebook store are not available in India, Google Play will be redesigned and rebranded Android Market. The new app Google Play shall soon be rolling to all Android devices running on 2.2 Froyo and above through OTA (Over the air) in phased manner.

Source : Google Play via Intomobile

• Like 3

Feels that things are half bitter and half sweet.

Market stopped working in my phone and new app was installed namely play store

shakespeare ones said what's in the name !

Edited by ::Hitesh::

shakespeare ones said what's in the name !

Well Said !

I am still on Android mkt (wildfire), no option of Google play.

:previous:

Quote from laptopmag.com:

The new moniker has completely replaced the aforementioned Android Market website and will slowly begin to take over Android handsets loaded with Android 2.2 Froyo and higher over the coming week.

Photon got automatically updated today morning and Android Market has been replaced by Play store. The new icon occupies more space (it is not the regular 1x 1).

Galaxy S 2 still shows App market.

Photon got automatically updated today morning and Android Market has been replaced by Play store. The new icon occupies more space (it is not the regular 1x 1).

Galaxy S 2 still shows App market.

Yeah the new version is 3.4.7 but on my photon the icon is changed and fits in the same space as previous one.

My Incredible 1 got updated just now. The icon has changed, but otherwise it is the same app market with a new name.

Edited by amtrag

My Captivate-Glide got updated yesterday from Market to Google-Play...

My Incredible 2 got updated a couple of days back for Google Play.

In my samsung Galaxy-Y also Market has been replaced by Play Shop yesterday.

-Sadanand

Except the name nothing has changed I suppose. Or is there any change which I failed to note in my EVO 4G?

Since services like Google Books, Google Music and Movies have not been launched in India, you are right in saying it is just a name change. Google is slacking off a bit where deployment of services in India is concerned.

Also note that the number of items in the App Categories have now increased.

After a long time something different. It is nice.

Play Store.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk