Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
inception

4G - LTE in India - Some Confusions

Recently I was going through the LTE deployments over the globe, and I found that a good number of LTE deployments are on 2.6GHz band.

Compare this to Indian scenario - Pvt. players got spectrum on 2.3 GHz band and BSNL is shouting they are given spectrum on non-standardized 2600 MHz band.

Compared to global scenario is it not the fact that pvt. players got non-standardized band while BSNL got standardized band if we think about roaming like conventional GSM spectrum is 900/1800MHz which enables global roaming in most of the countries?

Secondly in US Verizon is offering LTE on 700 MHz band while Teliasonera in Scandinavia offers LTE on 2.6GHz band. So if we import a Verizon LTE smartphone it will not work with Indian LTE operators, not only for mismatch of frequency band but also for LTE technological differences. [in US Verizon launched LTE-FDD while Indian players are keen to go ahead with TD-LTE].

In Germany Vodafone is to launch LTE on 800 MHz band - So CDMA players in India can offer LTE on their existing spectrum, right ?

At the same time some operators also plan to launch LTE on 1800 MHz band - So GSM players with much spectrum on 1800 MHz can roll out LTE on their existing spectrum, right ? Both are possible because LTE is compatible with many bands unlike GSM,W-CDMA & CDMA ranging from 700 t0 3500 MHz.

We also do not know Indian LTE players will offer LTE on dongles via SIM (llike GSM) or no-SIM (like CDMA-EVDO dongles). So better we do not bring LTE devices from other countries to use it in India.

I like to have some expert comments from RIMweb Gurus to clear my confusions!

Devices built for one band of radio frequency won't work on a network that uses a different band, even though the underlying technology is the same. In other words a Verizon 4G LTE smartphone like Droid Razr that operates on 700MHz spectrum in the U.S. will not operate on another operator, say, TeliaSonera's 4G LTE network in Sweden, which uses spectrum in the 1800 MHz band.

LTE can be deployed in the 1800 Mhz band. In order to use any of the GSM band, in particular 1800 you need to refarm from the existing GSM 2G network. But this is not that simple. A significant number of users still have 2G handsets, as they are cheaper and don’t consume the battery as much as the more advanced smartphones. It will take years to shift subscribers and refarm spectrum.

And 2.6 Ghz has poor indoor penetration and requires erection of more base stations to provide coverage. Thus deployment of LTE in 2.6. Ghz band involves huge investment in infrastructure as compared to other bands. That is why BSNL is up in arms :)

Edited by Karthik R

And recently there was EGoM(Empowered Group of Ministers) meeting on the issue of government agencies which hold 700Mhz band, the outcome was that they decided to release the 700Mhz band from government agencies to general public for data(4G) purpose. And after the meeting Kapil Sibal announced this 700Mhz band will be put to auction by the end of this year.

We have to wait & see if the service providers in India use LTE-FDD Technology (US type) or TD-LTE technology once they get 700Mhz spectrum.

One more interesting thing that came out of that meeting is that the release of 1700Mhz to 2000Mhz spectrum, which is held by Defence & for which DoT is asking to allocate that spectrum to it, especially in Urban areas, as 3G,4G services can be served using that spectrum. Accoding to Kapil Sibal, this issue regarding 1700-2000Mhz spectrum is in final stages to be resolved.

In other major issue on vacation of 1700 Mhz to 2000 Mhz spectrum band between Defence and Telecom Ministry, Sibal said that most of the matters related to it had been resolved and expressed hope that it will be completely resolved in next meeting of EGoM scheduled for the coming week.

"Then there were some issues relating to 1700 Mhz to 2000 Mhz band. We have had a full discussion and hopefully it will be resolved next week," Sibal said.

In this case, Defence Ministry had shown interest to give DoT only 150 Mhz and retain the rest 150 Mhz while DoT has been pushing the Ministry to give it 230 MhZ and retain 70 MhZ in the civilian areas to operate sophisticated equipments but allot all 300 Mhz in the urban areas.

This spectrum can be used for 3G services, 4G services and it is a progressive band for CDMA technology as well.

As RIL is already planning to roll out 4G services on 2500Mhz band, it's interesting to see which service providers are interested in the aution of 700Mhz auction(& other bands). It's looking like we could face a situation where different service provider providing 4G services in different bands(which ruins the handset compatability among service providers).

Source: http://ibnlive.in.com/news/egom-decides-to-free-700-mhz-spectrum-band-for-4g/236412-3.html

• Sad 1

@st_y 700 mhz will always use FDD-LTE as Upload and Download Frequency is Different

Actually I am asking that:

• is not 2.3GHz band a new band for LTE rollout as it is given to private operators of India?
  • As still no operators worldwide did not roll out LTE on this 2.3GHz band we can not use imported LTE smartphone with Indian operators?

As RIL is already planning to roll out 4G services on 2500Mhz band, it's interesting to see which service providers are interested in the aution of 700Mhz auction(& other bands). It's looking like we could face a situation where different service provider providing 4G services in different bands(which ruins the handset compatability among service providers).

Source: http://ibnlive.in.co...g/236412-3.html

I think it would better 2.3GHz band LTE deployment in urban areas where data demand is high, and 700 MHz is for rural connectivity due to this band's ability to offer 3 times more coverage.

• Confused 1

:previous: thanks for ur input, then it's a good news b'cause we can use some US imported handsets, I've a small doubt, suppose if we imported a verizon 4G handset(CDMA) & can it be used for only data purpose on any GSM service provider in India offered 4G on 700Mhz(in case the handset is only CDMA) or if the imported handset is global phone we can use with any GSM who offer 4G on 700Mhz, right?.

Understand the meaning of LTE = Long Term Evolution

Rarely does one come across a name which signifies the meaning so effectively. :Sorprendido:

• Like 1

what do want to say rajanji.

LTE can be implemented at any frequency and it will last for many year.

say till 2050.

and no 5G or 6G coming

I think he wants to say that it would take a LONG term to evolve

^^^^

I think, common man is correct now...

According to some insiders in TATA, got some info that TATA may opt for 700 mhz to use FDD-LTE.

Could not confirm though.

Let's Hope this Time LTE will not be as Looooong Term as was with introduction of 3G earlier for which the wait was nearly endless.

On a positive note, if either RIM or TATA opt for 700 FDD-LTE then we might be able to use some verizon models here in India.

I think he wants to say that it would take a LONG term to evolve

Right..

I mean LTE without the proper device and content ecosystem may be a big fail initially particularly in markets like India unless the operators can make it a true value proposition. Imagine Reliance / Tata bidding for 700 Mhz and then asking us to use it on handsets similar to Galaxy POP. Seriously, what can one do with that? However fast it may be, being wireless data with it's inherent limitations, it can never be any serious user's PRIMARY internet connection. So then the question is what more it can do for mobile devices which the existing 3G can't do other than just being a somewhat faster connection? 3G is already giving upto 5-6 mbps for good networks and based on America's experiece, 4G is not going to be 2-3 times faster on ground when you have good number of users on the network using it at a realistic level.

Reliance (MDA's) seems to have a strategy of device and content which comes out in selective leaks from time to time. Now they have started investing in Cable Operators. We will have to see how it is, once the services start. But nearly two years after the completion of broadband auction, there are no signs yet of services starting anytime soon.

Based on the big talkers but little innovators history of other existing operators, i don't have much hopes from them in this regard. For 700 Mhz, we may be looking at a timeframe of 1.5 to 2 years from NOW for services to be launched once the auction is completed in end 2012 (If auction actually happens then).

So LTE = Long Term Evolution.

Interestingly Kolkata was the first city to get mobile services! It would be great if Airtel starts offering 4G from Kolkata.

But I think it might be just another announcement regarding vendor selection like they did for Maharastra. In Kolkata the LTE vendor for Airtel is rumored to be ZTE,

Economics times .....

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/telecom/bharti-airtel-may-kick-start-4g-services-from-kolkata-on-march-20/articleshow/12203993.cms

It says:

This would be the second launch of 4G services in India after Augere Wireless, which has been offering high-speed data through dongles (data cards) since last month.
:censored3::nerves:

I do not know the status of Zoosh Broadband - anyone from Madhya Pradesh?

Zoosh Broadband / Augere Wireless Broadband India --- They do not have a website yet for India. They are planning to launch services in month of May. And may be their services have rolled out in Bhopal or Indore in test Phase.

http://telegraphindia.com/1120304/jsp/7days/story_15210099.jsp

Ericsson is their Vendor.

Edited by KapilAgrawal