Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
faizca

2G: Lone CDMA Player Status May Help Sistema (MTS) Get Relief

NEW DELHI, MARCH 27:

Under intense pressure from the Russian Government, India may consider working out a solution to grant some relief to Sistema Shyam Teleservices Ltd (SSTL).

According to official sources, SSTL's case may be treated differently from others whose licences were ordered to be cancelled because it is the sole operator based on CDMA technology.

The basic premise for cancelling the licences is that the first-come-first-served policy was not followed properly when licences were given out in January 2008.

But in the case of SSTL, the company would have anyway got the licence being the only applicant for CDMA spectrum.

The Russian Minister of Economic Development, Ms Elvira Nabiullina, raised Sistema's case during a meeting on Tuesday with the Indian Commerce, Industry and Textiles Minister Mr Anand Sharma here, they said.

They added that Mr Sharma told Ms Nabiullina that the Government has taken cognisance of the issue and pointed out that it has filed a review petition in the 2G case. He added that he will ascertain the latest position after talking to other Cabinet Ministers.

Inter-ministerial consultations will be on soon to find out what can be done within the parameters of Indian laws, the sources said, adding that the relief could be in the form of relaxed auction rules. One option is to restrict the auction for CDMA spectrum only among new players that would give a reasonable chance for the Russian major to buy back spectrum at lower cost.

SSTL was among those companies hit by the landmark Supreme Court order in February cancelling 122 spectrum licences granted during the then Telecom Minister, Mr A. Raja's tenure, on finding that their allocation was carried out “illegally”.

Sistema had recently invoked the provisions of the India-Russia Agreement for Promotion and Mutual Protection of Investments in a bid to settle their dispute.

Sistema had said if the dispute is not settled amicably by August 28 , it reserves the right to start proceedings against India before an international arbitration tribunal set up in accordance with the Arbitration Rules of the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law and/or in any other available forum.

SOURCE:http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/industry-and-economy/info-tech/article3251590.ece?homepage=true&ref=wl_home

• Like 1

^

I'm getting optimistic day-by-day about MTS's prospect.

• Like 1

^^^^^

But being a non WestBengal/Kolkata user, I don't care much about MTS :P as they don't care much about other circle users :mad44: , NOT even high ARPU users....

Edited by KanagaDeepan

Some users are really frustrated regarding the mobile data plans of MTS as those are only available in WB/KOL.....

But at list MTS providing the affordable data plans for some of its customers,where reliance n tata are not providing any easily usable n affordable data plans for any circle.....something is always better than nothing......

^

Why Kanaga?

MTS's voice and SMS tariff are also very attractive. Rs. 122 gives 30,000 sec off-net which is better than any operator's similar offer (even if you don't take 70,000 on-net secs into consideration); Rs. 9 gives 100 local+national SMS with 30 days' validity; Rs. 95 gives one year's 1p/2sec local calling; Full talk-time recharges (some top-ups even provide more in the form of promo balance which is helpful).

Moreover, the voice signal availability/ stability is very good. It is better than Tata's CDMA network here. (I'm using Tata CDMA since its inception)

Yes Mts data offers are gr8 in kolkata,atleast one operator taking it seriously in one circle!r-cdma and tata still ignoring.MTS should stay as their voice offers are also gr8 in other circles also.

^^^^^^

Please come away from WB and enquire about MTS, especially here in TN... They don't care about postpaid-corporate connections... Even they don't care about port-in customers... My friend who has ported from BSNL to MTS is worrying now...

Now their EV-DO network in my town is very very bad (as bad as 1x of TataCDMA)... CC sux as bad as BSNL.... They don't accept that their network is bad and just say reinstall the MBlaze software and ALL WILL BE WELL and FULL EV-DO speed will be restored :doh: ...

In MP-CG circle, still now they are just using TATA's network (past 2 years) for voice, let alone EV-DO... They are following the same stupid policies of Tata like not-accepting foreign handsets (MEID reg), only ultra cheap but no mid/high end handsets, switching off the remote 1x towers during night :doh: , etc...

Their main focus seems to be data and data only and like RDB/inception (not sure about author) said earlier in TT (a must read to understand what I am trying to say :hypocrite: ).... From what I have heard the circle head of WB/KOL is good and taking good care of issues and that good thing is absent in other circles... So MTS may get well soon due to its russian govt background, etc, etc... But they can't win people's heart in other circles like in WB/KOL and they are just another NEW operator like say, videocon in CDMA segment (that is another poor-man's second SIM's operator)....

@Avishek, cheap EV-DO is not the only reason... Try getting a corp postpaid connection from them (NOT in WB/KOL) and even our forum member Senthil (ursmv) tried his best (his brother is MTS prepaid dealer in Trichy) with NO FRUIT.... That is why I am saying, "IF THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT US, THEN WE TOO DON'T CARE ABOUT THEM"....

Edited by KanagaDeepan

Unless the Supreme Court alters it's order cancelling licenses through a bunch of review petitions filed, i don't understand how can the government help any company. Whether the case is genuine or not is beside the point. TRAI has already recommended against refund of license fees for cancelled licenses.

But network of MTS is very poor in gujarat,

Also very bad network coverage in Big City Like Ahmedabad, Evdo network is also poor ,

@ Kanaga.......... Data is not working for port in numbers like mine. I tried my level best to get data on my Samsung Corby. The local franchisee is my good friend. Still no use. But data is working on this HS with another MTS number sim card.

I am waiting to change my HS as soon as the present one gives any problem.

MTS network in TN is very good and their tariff is the cheapest in pre paid imho.

Send a email for activation of smartphone plan. Then data service will work.

also add nodal officer when sending mail.

Sent from my HuaweiU8300 using Tapatalk