Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
rajanmehta

Airtel Launches 4G LTE Broadband

Airtel Launches 4G LTE Broadband in Kolkata Today

Official Webpage >> http://www.airtel.in/4g/index.html#4G

2el8tfk.png

As always expected from Airtel, the plans are horrible.. Low Quota, High Price and Post FUP Speed of 128 kbps :devil:

• Like 1

The speed will go from 4G to -(minus)4G

They are making a mockery of internet and broadband. They are giving you a high speed car which you will have to get pulled by a donkey after sometime

This has been in the news for some time now and Mr Kapil Sibal is here to launch 4G today.

Kolkata has a history of having many things ahead of rest of the country (e.g. mobile phone, metro rail, rev B EVDO, Audi car etc) but in the long run it lags behind the other metros when the services get full swing.

I don't know why companies prefer Kolkata to launch their pilot projects while they ignore this city and the state altogether afterwards?

Anyways, the tariff of AirTel 4G is not good at all, beyond the reach of common users of course.

Also, this service is to be available for the time being on USB Modem and 4G enabled indoor wi- fi devices only (no smartphone). The technology is TD-LTE with a frequency that is power draining. Batteries on mobile devices will not be sufficient to cater for long time. USB modem takes power from the computer and wi-fi devices are externally powered.

Anyways, the tariff of AirTel 4G is not good at all, beyond the reach of common users of course.

We should ask the Trinamool Congress to jump in... For The Sake of Aam Broadband Aadmi... ;)

Whom they will ask to resign this time? :grin:

3g plans at the moment are not affordable,then what is the use of introducing another technology that no one can afford? all the telecom companies said that after a couple of years the 3g prices would stabilise,but they have remained stagnant. even broadband has not improved. countries like south korea and japan that have a fraction of the customer base as india are able to provide broadband at much faster speeds and much lower cost to customers.

I didn't understand how u people are saying its very high cost... Reliance gives 18gb in Rs. 3000 whereas Airtel is offering 18gb in Rs. 1999/ only n tht too 4G speed.... Rajan Bhai am I mistaking something :P

Edited by amit.shippie

Any "wireless broadband" service will be costlier itself with no unlimited plans. It would either have higher entry level plan or a very less data limit. Verizon LTE charges around Rs.2500 per month for 10 GB and Rs.1500 for 4 GB which is the entry level plan. So when you compare to that the pricing looks reasonable. Unless RIL plans to come up with something similar to "Monsoon Hungama" this would be the pricing pattern for 4G.

BTW from the FAQ the next cities are:

Besides Kolkata, we have plans to launch 4G in Karnataka (Bangalore), Maharashtra (excluding Mumbai), and Punjab.

• Like 1

For aam aadmi, its a Waiting situation for other players to jump in LTE and when there will be enough competition in this segement we will consumers will get more and more cheaper rates.

Any "wireless broadband" service will be costlier itself with no unlimited plans. It would either have higher entry level plan or a very less data limit. Verizon LTE charges around Rs.2500 per month for 10 GB and Rs.1500 for 4 GB which is the entry level plan. So when you compare to that the pricing looks reasonable. Unless RIL plans to come up with something similar to "Monsoon Hungama" this would be the pricing pattern for 4G.

BTW from the FAQ the next cities are:

Besides Kolkata, we have plans to launch 4G in Karnataka (Bangalore), Maharashtra (excluding Mumbai), and Punjab.

These are the only other circles that Airtel has 4G license.

I like the donkey analogy, 128kbps is actually an insult to 4G!

guys, the speed drops to 128k after FUP.

4g speed ain't 128kbps ....... but yes they could have made it 512k

Don't get disappointed friends, Wait for Reliance 4G LTE

Reliance will not let you down on speed or tariff.

I didn't understand how u people are saying its very high cost... Reliance gives 18gb in Rs. 3000 whereas Airtel is offering 18gb in Rs. 1999/ only n tht too 4G speed.... Rajan Bhai am I mistaking something :P

Why compare Devil with Deep Blue Sea? :P

Any "wireless broadband" service will be costlier itself

They all want us to believe and perpetrate this 'myth". Don't they? :)

Airtel won the Kolkata 4G broadband auction at a cost of Rs 523.20 Crore. Add to this the LTE Capital Equipment Cost for covering the whole city wirelessly. Now can they connect whole of Kolkata at a lesser capital cost if they would connect the city through wireline like on ADSL? Forget capital cost of having the nodes at every 3-4 kms and other infrastructure, just laying the fiber per km costs something in the range of 80 Lac to 1 Crore in a city like Mumbai. The municipalities charge astronomical sums for digging up the roads which needs to be relaid again + the corruption cost + Time delays involved in getting the permissions itself.

Take the example of Reliance. They won 22 circle all india wireless license for Rs 12,850 Crore. Add another 5,000-6,000 Crore Capital cost figure for whole of india LTE wireless Coverage which is floating around. Could Reliance have ever wired up the whole of india through wireline at a lesser capital cost than that?

We should keep in mind that though in the traditional sense, wireless broadband can't replace wireline, but with LTE here in India all the BWA winners are precisely trying to do that. Replace Wireline with Wireless and increase penetration. It is ultimately costing them less in the long term. Otherwise in this many years they all would have covered large parts of the country with blanket wireline connectivity which they have not. Even in a metro like Mumbai, wireline ISP's like Reliance, Airtel are available only at a few places. So they can't have their cake and eat it too. Customer resistance with such atrocious plans will make them realise the folly ultimately.

Verizon LTE charges around Rs.2500 per month for 10 GB and Rs.1500 for 4 GB which is the entry level plan. So when you compare to that the pricing looks reasonable.

Sprint has already announced that their LTE Data plans will be Unlimited without any FUP Cap. Besides America is a terribly costly telecom market. If Operator's in India will follow that model, they are doomed for failure. 3G pricing has already proven that.

Unless RIL plans to come up with something similar to "Monsoon Hungama" this would be the pricing pattern for 4G.

They are the last hope. But they have already taken ex. airhell guys on board. Hoping for a miracle. :D

^^^^

Don't worry cid Saab... Those ex airhell guys are in rcom only and not in RIL...

BUT RIL SEEMS LIKE JUST TALKING AND NO ACTION FOR THE TIME BEING... Hope they will wake up from the kumbhakarna sleep as soon as possible..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-captivate-glide using Tapatalk

^^^^

Don't worry cid Saab... Those ex airhell guys are in rcom only and not in RIL...

Reliance Infotel Gets New CTO >> http://www.lightread...p?doc_id=219160

In an effort to further its BWA (Broadband Wireless Access) ambitions, Reliance Industries Ltd. (RIL) has appointed Anuj Jain as Executive Vice President (EVP) and Chief Technology Officer (CTO) at its wireless broadband subsidiary Infotel Broadband Services Ltd. (also known as Reliance Infotel).

Jain, who was previously Senior Vice President, Network Planning and Engineering at Bharti Airtel, has more than two decades of experience in the industry. In his stint with Bharti Airtel, he was responsible for the technology selection, RFPs, architecture/design, network planning and financials for Long distance, Access and International networks.

Wow... Then no need to worry... We can safely forget 4G... Even "MORE STUPID AND LESS CUNNING" BSNL is also out of this race...

May be that ex_airhell_wala may be responsible for the delay in launch of RIL 4g services... Who knows?

Sent from my SAMSUNG CAPTIVATE GLIDE using Tapatalk

Mukesh Ambani is known for his "disruptive pricing". He is a shrewd businessman who knows who he is dealing with.

Thats why the ex-airhell guy is chief technology officer not CEO or chief marketing officer.

I second that.

I didn't understand how u people are saying its very high cost... Reliance gives 18gb in Rs. 3000 whereas Airtel is offering 18gb in Rs. 1999/ only n tht too 4G speed.... Rajan Bhai am I mistaking something

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

well said!

but still 128kbps is an insult!even slower than edge!! :ranting:

Yes... There is one huge mistake... In RCdma-EVDO case, the 3000Rs plan gives 18GB for 6 months (earlier b4 TRAI's f-king MAX 3months STV validity policy)----> Rs500/month = 3GB EVDO.... This plan is much much better than AirHELL's 4G plan as 18GB in 40Mbps speed MELTS faster than 3GB of R-EVDO....

================================================

Further all the data-limit before FUK FUP can be eaten in one day and then we can enjoy UNLIMITED 4G at 128kbps for the remaining 29 days.... HOOORAAHHH... We all have to thank AirHELL for blessing us with the speed post FUP as 128kbps and NOT 128kbph (kilo-bits-per-HOUR)...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

But one thing is beyond my understanding... Who the HELL this AirHELL is targeting for this FUK service??? Obviously NO AAM AADMI / Middle class people... Then?

(a) To the filthy rich MPs to download and watch p0rn in Assembly??? NO---NO.... The data limit hurts...

(B) To the rich uncles and aunties (50+) for whom internet means IE browser and rediff site??? NO---NO.... 40Mbps / 3.6Mbps is over-kill for them...

© To the busy business tycoons, for whom speed and always on connectivity is important AT ANY COST?? NO---NO.... Pretty BAD coverage (both indoor and outdoor/roaming) stops them, since they travel a lot...

(d) To the spoiled kids who spends most time in facebook/twitter?? NO---NO.... They also visit a site called you-tube...

Then who are all their target-audience????

...................................................................................

With Ex-AirHELL boy as CTO in RIL, I have lost hope (Guess why all those trailers with punch-dialogues [e-Medicine, e-Mantra, e-Education, e-Governance, e-TV_Programs, etc, etc] only and NO ACTION from RIL and RIL coming LATE TO THE PARTY???) on them too...

My dream for good internet service with reasonable speed and affordable tariff in India, still and will remain a dream only... Number_ONE_KumbhaKarna BSNL provides sh!tty service (2G to 2KG---All are pain in LAKEIN {plz translate to English} ), Number_TWO_Kumbhakarna RIL was given sleeping tablets by a Tr0jan Horse, Axis of Evil are keen in robbery only, MTNL limited to Mumbai/Delhi only, FTTH is WTF....

• Like 1

This has been in the news for some time now and Mr Kapil Sibal is here to launch 4G today.

Kolkata has a history of having many things ahead of rest of the country (e.g. mobile phone, metro rail, rev B EVDO, Audi car etc) but in the long run it lags behind the other metros when the services get full swing.

I don't know why companies prefer Kolkata to launch their pilot projects while they ignore this city and the state altogether afterwards?

rev B Evdo first in Kolkata??

it was Jaipur by MTS, it was first rev B evdo phase II across the globe!

----------------------

I was present in the event. DNA reporter asked Sibal and Mittal regarding 3G roaming! :D #AwkwardMoment :P Both stared to each other and smiling. Mittal dodged the question saying Mr. Sibal has to leave and I will answer on it later. But once he left with Sibal, he never came back! :D :D

--------------------------------

Sanjay Kapoor told: If you are looking for heavy downloads, you should go for fiber!

-------------------------------------

Regarding the FUP, airtel will introduce Smartbyte to 4G. That means you can add extra data on high speed anytime.

Better to wait till auction of 700Mhz spectrum takes place. Competition is bound to bring the prices down (unless of course, they form a cartel to fleece us)

^^^^^

The story of 3G will return in 700MHz auction, imho... Telecos will bid for ridiculously higher value and make them costly as hell..

The speed will go from 4G to -(minus)4G

They are making a mockery of internet and broadband. They are giving you a high speed car which you will have to get pulled by a donkey after sometime

Well said buddy. Supreme court should have cancelled Airtel's licence. They have always been monoplositic.