Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
csmart

International Travel - SIM/Service Suggestion

I need suggestions from fellow members on which service to use while travelling abroad. I am planning to visit China and want to know which service to use.

1. Matrix (charges $5 for outgoing $3 incoming)
  2. Clay - similar to matrix (incoming-$5 outgoing-$1)
  3. Reliance Wolrd SIM - (incoing Rs 40 outgoing Rs 60)
  4. Using existing RCDMA/RGSM or other service provider number
  5. buying local SIM

Reliance tariff for postpaid

CDMA - Rs 19/- local calls and India calls Rs 60

GSM - Rs 28 and Rs 49

Above rates excludes service tax 15% and foreign exchange fluctuations.

I think word SIM could be cheaper.

^^^

If you have access to free wifi, Skype will be very cheap - something like $20 per month for unltd outgoing calls to India. If you use local SIM, then even incoming is chargeable, AFAIK. Atleast in HK it is.

I also need similar info for Europe, which I am travelling around 10th May'12 for 15 days.

^^^^^^

For Europe Matrix is best... INCOMING FREE in most countries... Used by my uncle last year... I used Local Prepaid sims (incoming FREE -- T-Mobile_D1) which is OK for visiting one country, but attract roaming charges if moved to next country.. But all topUps give FullTT... Prepaid Matrix SIM available in Airport counters in Chennai, as told by my uncle... I don't know about other cities...

Reg CHINA... LocalSIMs are available even in Airport (slightly costlier than shops in town)... I have used ChinaMobile (GSM)... Yes Incoming calls are chargeable, but NOT high, comp outgoing calls... Further I have noted one peculiar thing, the call is being charged right from the moment we pressed the green button (so including airtime).. The sales rep told me to dial some *xyz*number_to_dial to get charged less... In fact, this is what I guessed from his actions :ko2: Reg. coverage, ChinaMobile is very very best, Full signal on China-GreatWall second stage as well as travelling in under-river canal of Shanghai...

In both trips, I will give missed call to my home :winko: and they will call me from their prepaid number with some ISD booster...

Edited by KanagaDeepan
  • Like 1

Buy local SIM, for china its the best.. easily available... Now u also get incoming free sim... if you travelling to only 1 city, u'll get incoming free for that city..

thanx.. so i think local sim is cheaper for china..

purchase local sim with data plan, and use outgoing calls to india through google voice. it would be cost less.

what is trip duration?

if it's more than 7 days then local sim is preferrd,

but if it's for 2-3 days, get matrix or clay

in china airports, most of them have a vodafone counter, use a local voda sim :)

For europe you can consider reliancepassport it wil give you free incoming in some countries.

• Like 1

@ Kanaga & Dr. Gagan, thanks for your inputs. + 1 to both of you.

I was at the UK Visa centre last week and I met a salesman selling Uniconnect SIM cards for Europe. All incoming calls will be free across Europe and outgoing also is low about 0.85 Euros per minute to India. This card is sold at Rs 1300 with Rs 1000 talktime. RECHARGE can be done online using Indian credit cards even while abroad. However this is more than Reliance World SIM/Passport og charges of Rs. 40 pm., and incoming is chargeable on Rel World SIM....

RWS is a World Sim and one can retain the same number all over the world permanently.

I had called Matrix three days back, they are yet to call me back. I will try once again.

Any other inputs are welcome.

TIA.....

Sign in to an SIP provider. Take a data plan at visiting place. Have a local sim. Use SIP services "Phone to Phone"

For example if you use smart voip. The call charges will be

Call to your China number = free

Call to India Number = appox Rs 0.80

Call setup charges appox Rs 2/-

So for first min you will pay appox Rs 3.00/min after that appox Rs 1/min. If you download application like Mobile VOIP & use a headphone, the charges will be appox Rs1/min+ Data charges if any

anil

I used Red Pocket Sim card for my trip to USA . cost 23$ for unlimited US calls and text. 50 to 60 min of call to India. Check out Goredpocket.com for more details Cheers

Any suggestion for 3 days Dubai trip?

Can take matrix also but 3g is priority..

Do we get local Sim outside Dubai airport with 3g?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I too need some calling solution for 7 days trip to Switzerland and France. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Frankly speaking, I found that all matrix, Clear or such operators are expensive. It is always better to get the local SIM which much cheaper compare these companies. You can easily get local SIMs. The only benefit of these cos is that you know the number before hand rather than informing everybody after getting there.

For talking with your relatives back home, ask them to call using Reliance Global calling. They have an app for iOS and android and many phones can use same account. I've used this many times. My trip to China in April last year and also recently when my bro was in Turkey and Dubai.

Any suggestion for 3 days Dubai trip? Can take matrix also but 3g is priority.. Do we get local Sim outside Dubai airport with 3g? Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

You get prepaid mobile SIM in Dubai Airport itself - better to choose the plan in advance by browsing the websites - www.du.ae & www.etisalat.ae

The two Mobile Service providers are 1. Etisalat (age old) & 2. Du. As usual the new comer had teething problems of less coverage (2010-11 story) and hope now it is improved - Insha' Allah!