Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
rajanmehta

Must Have Android Apps For Your Smartphone - Part II

SwiftKey 3 for 99 cents on Google Play. Grab it fast.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

WOW! Finally Google launched Voice-guided GPS Navigation in Google Maps for Android in India.

Announced in this official VIDEO from Google India..

^ Its not yet available. May be in next update they bring the navigation here.

Already working NOW! Try.

Yes. Now its working :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Did it start working in the same version released on August 29th? Was there no updated version released for enabling the navigation?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Did it start working in the same version released on August 29th? Was there no updated version released for enabling the navigation?

It started in the same version. Must be enabled by Google at their end. :)

Ok then, will remove the patched version I have. However voice navigation is still not enabled, right? It doesn't at least in the iOS version on iPad when I checked.

Voice is also active probably. Cant check as I am inside building but this will give you fair idea for it.

u2ama3yp.jpg

Just updated to the official version and yes, navigation is working with voice! No more hassles with manual updates for the patched version.

Google Maps for iOS doesn't have voice navigation working yet though. Some news articles mentioned it is working but it isn't mentioned in the official blog:

http://googleindia.blogspot.in/2012/09/navigation-and-traffic-data-come-to.html

Good News! Alongwith navigation, live traffic feeds are also available now.

There will also be live traffic information for major roads in six Indian cities and their surrounding suburbs: Bengaluru, Mumbai, New Delhi, Chennai, Pune and Hyderabad.

traffic2.pngtraffic.png

Atleast for Mumbai i can confirm we are going to see RED most of the time!

• Like 1

There will also be live traffic information for major roads in six Indian cities and their surrounding suburbs: Bengaluru, Mumbai, New Delhi, Chennai, Pune and Hyderabad.

does anyone knows here, how this traffic information is updated live ? I don't think Indian traffic police has any kind of advanced system, to gather & relay traffic situation update..Can anyone give idea ?

does anyone knows here, how this traffic information is updated live ? I don't think Indian traffic police has any kind of advanced system, to gather & relay traffic situation update..Can anyone give idea ?

The data is automatically collected from mobile phones which uses Google Maps.

^^^

The data is automatically collected from mobile phones which uses Google Maps.

little doubtful. As how many mobile phone with google maps with active gps they can find on a road ? Also, out of them, how many will be having their data connection on ? And if out of few vehicles on road, if there is only one vehicle relays traffic information, how to assume for others (means, are there 10 vehicles, or 20 ?)

I can very well assume some proper system in EU/USA, but that is not the case in India.

:previous:

See: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/08/bright-side-of-sitting-in-traffic.html

In short: small, anonymous bits of data are sent from your GPS enabled smartphone telling them your GPS coordinates. From those coordinates Google determines your location, direction of travel, and average speed. They combine that with data from other people on the same road and DOT sensors (if applicable) to come up with their real-time traffic maps. Since DOT (Department of Transportation) sensors are not available in India (even if there is they are not going to share with Google), the data may not be that accurate as in other countries like US.

• Like 1

Cant they give an estimate using google earth images? I know they are not live updated.

^Sir, If its not live, how can it give estimate :dontknow:

Edited by phonegeek

It has to be real time and live, because it's traffic infromation. They can't depend on old data for this.

:previous:

See: http://googleblog.bl...in-traffic.html

In short: small, anonymous bits of data are sent from your GPS enabled smartphone telling them your GPS coordinates. From those coordinates Google determines your location, direction of travel, and average speed. They combine that with data from other people on the same road and DOT sensors (if applicable) to come up with their real-time traffic maps. Since DOT (Department of Transportation) sensors are not available in India (even if there is they are not going to share with Google), the data may not be that accurate as in other countries like US.

I, for one, always keep the GPS radio off unless using any map for navigation, ie. finding the way from point A to B. GPS consumes a lot of battery. And DOT sensors are out of question in India in the foreseeable future.

I don't feel traffic info would be having minimum accuracy needed to take decisions based on it. Though I expect the accuracy to improve in the future.

now that cheap android phones have flooded the market, there are many users who does not even know how to turn off the GPS.

• Like 1

Need an applications which reminds me every month for my Credit and Mobile Bill Payments

^

I use calender only with widget and audible reminders.

• Like 1

Need an applications which reminds me every month for my Credit and Mobile Bill Payments

The way I do it is I set all these things in my Google Calendar. It has option to send you reminders via Desktop alerts, email or SMS at the due time or whatever time you want. There is no risk of losing my data or reminders.

I feel this is much better than any kind of app.

• Like 1

^^^

Yes Google Calendar could be the best option. No need to install extra app for this. I too use Google Calendar for the same. :)

Has anyone tried Google Voice navigation..

While the route shows fine.. but the navigation instructions are all garbage..

Turn left/right even there exists no left/right on the same map