Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
rajanmehta

ICS/Jelly Bean for EVO 3D - Step By Step

ICS For EVO 3D - Step By Step

Folks, Ice Cream Sandwith for EVO 3D is here. Let's taste it. :yahoo:
I have given detailed step by step instruction which may sound elementary to some but helps people not conversant with flashing.

Standard Disclaimer: (Still Worth Reading)
Everything given here is tested and working. Still if you face a problem, brick your phone or mess up anywhere, you know you have only yourself to blame. No guarantees / warranties whatsoever. At Your RISK.

Background:
This is MeanROM Ice Cream Sandwich for HTC EVO 3D based on leaked Ice Cream Sandwich for Cricket's version of HTC Evo 3D for CDMA. Cricket's EVO 3D is exactly the same as Sprint's. Mean ROM's are almost the same as Stock HTC ROM's except the optimization, speed and extra features. This Ice Cream Sandwich is nearest to what you will be getting from Sprint by OTA when it's released officially.

What's Good:

• Since this ROM is based on Sprint STOCK ICS leak, pretty much everything works. (USB Micro SD Card Mount when connected to PC is not working but you can use app like AirDroid to copy)
  • Fast and furious. 1.5 Ghz Dual Core Speed out of the box instead of 1.2 Ghz.

Requirements:

• You need to be on latest ver 2.17 Sprint Firmware. Baseband Version 1.06.001216, PRI Version 1.42.003.
  • You can be S-ON or S-OFF. You can be HTC Dev unlocked / unlocked otherwise and rooted. (Rooted will help install 4ext Touch Recovery through it's app directly from your existing ROM instead of fastboot commands.)

What You Need: (All Credit / Copyright To Original Developers / Owners of respective files.)

Warning:
The below process will wipe out everything from your phone including all user, app and app data. So back up your SMS, other app data if you want to. Additionally have your current ROM on your SD Card if you need to reflash it. Better take a Nandroid backup also as additional safety.

Steps:

• Copy all the files you downloaded in What You Need to your Micro SD Card.
  • Ensure your phone battery is fully charged.
  • First flash 4ext Touch Recovery. Install the downloaded APK on your phone. Enable Data / Wifi. Start app. It should show the latest RC version available. Download and install, grant super user right. It will ask for database not available locally, so allow it download. It should identify the phone as HTC EVO 3D CDMA. OK. It will also ask whether you are S-ON? Say YES if you are. This is important as it will enable SmartFlash which is needed to stick boot on S-ON phones without the help of fastboot commands.
  • Go to Settings / Power / and ensure Fastboot is Disabled.
  • Shut down the phone. Wait for atleast 30 seconds to ensure it's fully shut off. Remove battery, wait 10 seconds, insert battery.
  • Hold Volume Down Button + Power Button together. Once menu is shown, press Volume Down Button once to select Recovery, then press power button. You will reboot into 4ext Touch Recovery. Once you are in touch recovery, no need to use any physical button. It works on touch completely.
  • Install From SD Card / Choose ZIP from SD Card, Select the Modified Superwipe and OK. It should take 2-3 minutes to finish.
  • Repeat the Superwipe process once again by going back and selecting the same file.
  • From Touch Recovery Main Menu, Select Wipe | Format and then wipe battery stats.
  • From Touch Recovery Main Menu, Select install from sdcard, choose zip from sd card and then select MeanROM ICS version you downloaded.
  • Do not Reboot your phone yet. Now flash Anthrax Kernel in the same manner, install from sdcard, choose zip from sd card. (This step is CRITICAL. If you don't do it, the phone will be in constant bootloop after reaching the main screen)
  • Now from touch recovery main menu, Wipe | Format and then wipe cache + dalvik. Do it TWICE.
  • Finally Reboot Now from the Main Menu. Recovery will flash a message saying pending boot operation detected, your ROM will reboot once.
  • That's a good sign. Phone will reboot.It will Reboot once more on HTC screen. Then the first boot. This will take some time. Can sip a very quick cup of Tea / Cofee if it's ready while you wait with bated breath for ICS Nirvana. :dance:
  • Wow. The ICS is in front of you. It will automatically enable 3G to complete account setup screen. If you don't have Data provisioned on your phone, ensure you're near a WiFI setup. Else you won't be able to proceed any further and finish account setup screen.

Some Screen Shots:

post-4104-0-17803800-1336913727_thumb.pnpost-4104-0-57642700-1336913736_thumb.pnpost-4104-0-48033300-1336913740_thumb.pnpost-4104-0-50984600-1336913743_thumb.pnpost-4104-0-05848800-1336913745_thumb.pnpost-4104-0-11721500-1336913746_thumb.pn
post-4104-0-72789200-1336913748_thumb.pnpost-4104-0-02940800-1336913756_thumb.pnpost-4104-0-36903200-1336913763_thumb.pnpost-4104-0-72400100-1336913774_thumb.pnpost-4104-0-23830900-1336913809_thumb.pnpost-4104-0-42815700-1336913811_thumb.pnpost-4104-0-17688300-1336913814_thumb.pn

Edited by rajanmehta
  • Like 5

Good work Rajan Bhai. :signthankspin:

New ICS ROM For EVO 3D. Hmmm... I do like Ice Cream.

This one is a beauty. It has HTC Sense 4 in all it's glory and Ice Cream Sandwich 4.03. ROM in first post does not have HTC Sense 4.

Now i don't need to tell you that we are not going to get Sense 4 when we get Official ICS on EVO 3D.

This ROM is a port of HTC Ville, i.e HTC One S.

Heck why do we need to spend all the money in buying HTC One series phones when we can enjoy it right away without dropping a penny.

Steps for flashing this ROM remain the same as in post 1, except replace the ROM with this one.

Newts One S *RC 3* (Sense 4.0 ICS 4.0.3) ROM Download Link >> http://adf.ly/482949...//bit.ly/JfSfgH

Screen Shots:

post-4104-0-51812700-1337022965_thumb.pnpost-4104-0-43272500-1337022969_thumb.pnpost-4104-0-53918500-1337022981_thumb.pnpost-4104-0-01413800-1337022986_thumb.pnpost-4104-0-96890000-1337022992_thumb.pnpost-4104-0-16617900-1337023005_thumb.pnpost-4104-0-95381100-1337023007_thumb.pnpost-4104-0-63204800-1337023009_thumb.pnpost-4104-0-91490300-1337023012_thumb.pn

wow, rajan bhai excellent. I really loved my evo 3d on new sense. any lack you noticed?

Do we need 'Anthrax Kernel' flash for this as well?

Few bugs for meanrom are:

1. Video playback lag

2. issues with animations

3. usb internet tethering

4. sygic not working (animation issues again)

for hboot 1.50, you need to flash the boot.img thru fastboot recovery!

wow, rajan bhai excellent. I really loved my evo 3d on new sense. any lack you noticed?

USB SD Card Mount and tether is not working.

Do we need 'Anthrax Kernel' flash for this as well?

Yes flash it, otherwise it goes into constant bootloop upon reaching display screen after first boot.

Few bugs for meanrom are:

1. Video playback lag

2. issues with animations

3. usb internet tethering

4. sygic not working (animation issues again)

for hboot 1.50, you need to flash the boot.img thru fastboot recovery!

1. I played 1080P Youtube Video and did not notice any lag whatsoever with MeanROM ICS.

2. No idea, can't say but haven't faced such issue till now.

3. Yes it is not working.

4. Not tried Sygic on this.

If you mean flashing boot.img through fastboot by connecting to PC and terminal fastboot command, it's not necessary NOW when you use 4ext Touch Recovery for the ROM in 1st Post. Even flashing boot.img separately is not needed. 4ext Touch recovery takes care of that without any PC connection and manual fastboot command.

btw, is hotspot working fine?

Probably No. Sprint Hotspot is starting fine on mobile. My laptop is even getting connected but then it's not alloted IP address and shows error.

Hey,

I just finished upgrading to ICS (MeanROM 1.5)..

To fix boot loops i became S-OFF using Juopunutbear..

Restored my basic phone settings through QPST, but I have lost Data settings!

How do I go about restoring this?

To fix boot loops i became S-OFF using Juopunutbear..

You don't need to be S-OFF for flashing ICS ROM's for EVO 3D.

If you're S-ON and unlocked through HTC Developer Unlock method, flashing Anthrax Kernel after ROM flashing but before reboot through 4ext Touch Recovery solves the problem of boot loops.

This is a safe method as flashing this way does not mess with any phone / data programming or firmware.

For restoring data settings, flash Data Dump NV items through CDMA workshop.

I was on anthrax kernel for a while, but a lot of features were not working as expected (3d, tether)

I don't have a nv backup, I have a qpst backup which I restored. How do I generate a nv backup? Also my calls keep getting cut off (problem with prl?)

Please suggest what I can do. Thanks!

If the calls are getting cut off within 3-4 second of connecting / receiving, check whether A-Key parameter in put correctly in the phone which might have been wiped off during flash. If you don't have NV backup for data settings, request it from the seller of your phone.

Edited by rajanmehta

Yes, calls are getting cut within one second.

How do I verify A-Key?

I flashed new PRL ver 5 using CDMA workshop, but no change..

Rajan ji getting the attached error while updating.

Any pointers..

post-77159-0-92661900-1338112223_thumb.j

Edited by PKC19

You may not be actually S-OFF and selected that option.

Are you rooted? And did 4Ext Touch Recovery ask for super user permission while flashing it from phone? If So, give it.

Also select Smartflash (S-On) in 4Ext Touch Recovery installer while flashing it from the phone (If your device is S-ON with HTC Dev Unlock).

Also keep the data on as it downloads some files for detecting the device model during installation.

I am S-ON

No it is not rooted.It isnot asking for super user permission.

It downloads the files after file download is complete it starts the installation process and then the above message comes.

^^^

Root the phone, do HTC Dev Unlock if you haven't already and then try again with the pointers in earlier post.

Yes, calls are getting cut within one second.

How do I verify A-Key?

I flashed new PRL ver 5 using CDMA workshop, but no change..

Refer this topic for where to put A-Key >> http://www.rimweb.in...n-registration/

Where do I get Akey from? :(

:previous: You have to get it from your handset seller

Will it be available in my QPST backup?

I have written to my seller for info, waiting for response... Wondering if I could do it myself..

[iCS OTA] Update for EVO 3D (26.06 11:00 CEST]

Android-Version: 4.0.3

HTC Sense Version: 3.6

Software-Number: 3.28.401.1

Kernel-Version: 3.0.16-ge733189 htc-kernel@u18000-build-144#1 SMP PREEMT

baseband-Number: 11.77.3804.00U_11.25.3504.06_M

Build-Number: 3.28.401.1 CL385730 release-key

Browser-Version: WebKit/534.30

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1732984

I have not tried it personally... But now we can hope OTA update for us also... :-)

That ICS update is for GSM version.

Official OTA Ice Cream Sandwich Update for EVO 3D (Sprint Version) is out now.

I strongly suggest not to install it for guys who have already achieved S-OFF.

Because the update has new radio and new HBOOT 1.58.

Don't know whether it will again allow S-OFF through wire trick / other methods.

Hang on! Wait For Sometime! Solutions will be out!

EDIT: Some users are now confirming that wiretrick for S-OFF is still working on new HBOOT. At your risk though!

For those who are on Stock ROM's, S-ON and not bothered/will never be doing S-OFF, can go ahead.

Edited by rajanmehta