Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
catch148

Car Starting Problem

HI frns

I have a old santro ( 2002). For last few weeks, it is giving me a problem. If it stops in the midway, then it will not start. And after remaining as it is for few minutes, i am able to start it. It never shows starting problem when i start it even after 10 days but once it stop on the road, it refuse to get started.

Usage is very low. I use only once in a week. what can be the possible reasons for this problem? This problem has already given me 2-3 embarrassing moments. So your expert guidance is needed. I had taken the car to Hyundai Service centre. They told me that all santro have lucas starter and all of them are faulty. I am not ready to buy his views. So i thought i should take your views first.

Thanks

KS

^^^

since you mentioned that it stops in the midway and starts after 10 minutes & never shown any starting problem initially,

the problem may be raise in temperature - Radiator & Coolant need to be checked.

You are right - there is no problem with all Santros fitted with faulty Lucas starter. RADIATOR%2BASSY,HYUNDAI%2BSANTRO%252BATOS%2BRADIATORS,25310-05500_0_detail.jpg

As an Ex Santro owner for 7.5 years, I never had any starting problem - still I love its ground clearence & driving pleasure.

Its been a quite a long time since i fixed any car but I would diagnose this as your coil getting too hot after some driving - i don't think its actually the starter per se. Otherwise it would give problem even during cold starts.

Can you just touch any large cylindrical object, like shown in image below, and see if its too hot to touch ? If it is, then put a damp cloth on it to cool it down and see if you can start. If yes, then replace that. I think it should be around 2-3K - but really have no idea of current rates. Like i said, there's very little to tinker around in ECU fuel injected engines these days with power this and power that. 10-15 year back my dad used to get us to open the bonnet and check few things before every drive !

Be careful - use a cloth to touch it. switch off engine before that. don't put your hand near radiator fans - they start even when engine is off

cararc.jpg

If it is not hot. Then post here if your started is making revolutions or not ?

• Like 1

@catch148; Could be the battery running low or coming to the end of its life, There is no coil per se, there are two inline powering two cylinders each. I had a similar problem in my AT (no chance to push start either). It was fine in the morning. Stop and it will not restart for a few minutes. Then behave normally.

Check-

1. Ignition Coil

2. Fuel Pump

2 probable reasons for such type of problem.

Thanks frns for your instant advices.....last time it stopped midway(yesterday),it happened just in front of battery shop...i requested the shopowner to put another battery n new battery was able to ignite the engine instantly. Anyway my battery had become 3 yr old, so i decided to change with a new one. After this change, car ran propoerly till it reached car ac reapir shop. I will be getting the car today and will check throughly whether battery change has solved the problem. If not, i will try testing methods as suggested above. Thanks so much for taking out time.

( i realy hope, battery would have solved ma problem)

Out of the box thought.........can faulty AC compressor be the reason of overloading of engine and hence overheating ? (my compressor had leakage and it was causing huge strain on engine. Engine was not able to take the pickup with Ac on.)

@catch148; Could be the battery running low or coming to the end of its life, There is no coil per se, there are two inline powering two cylinders each. I had a similar problem in my AT (no chance to push start either). It was fine in the morning. Stop and it will not restart for a few minutes. Then behave normally.

Sir, how did you solve ur problem?

Since he has mentioned that . . . stops in the midway and after 10 minutes able to start the car, major suspect is the Temperature - so either the Radiator or the coil is the problem.

Use good quality Coolant.

Check Fuse of Radiator Fan . If radiator fan doesn't work - car gets heated after running for few mins & might cause engine problems, faster with Ac On.

Since you have already changed the battery if it still continues, check the alternator (often called as "shelf" by the mechanics) and the coolant level / radiator.

May be air lock problem in fuel system, check air vent and fuel tank cap for vapor escape. If they are found ok, then you may have to get fuel line examined for vapor locks.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks to all of you. yesterday, i had taken the car for long drive with AC on ( repaired) . And it didnt show that problem. I hope, battery change and repaired compressor has solved the problem ( keeping my finger crossed). But for the final verdict, car has to be tested few more times. I am really grtful to all my fellow members for putting their interest in my problem.

If problem persists, i have to check the entire fuel supply system..